HTC One X Stuck in Possible Boot Loop?

mehpersonguy0

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Earlier today, I turned off my phone (the one I had bought that had the battery issue easily solved by the power/volume down solution) and tried to turn it back on, only to have it do absolutely nothing..I've tried the power/volume down/up methods multiple times and nothing seems to be working :/ Right now, I've had it charging (with no red LED showing) and it keeps turning on and off, but it's just a black screen that stays on, shuts off for a second or two, then back on for a minute or so. None of the bottom row buttons are lighting up or blinking, it's just stuck doing this. Earlier when I tried the button combos, it would pulse every minute or so, as it does when starting up the phone. I guess that's what happens when you buy a phone second-hand that initially had an issue >_> is there any way to work around this/get it to start again? I'm almost half tempted to pull the white outer cover off and pulling the battery, hopefully resetting the issue....

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Earlier today, I turned off my phone (the one I had bought that had the battery issue easily solved by the power/volume down solution) and tried to turn it back on, only to have it do absolutely nothing..I've tried the power/volume down/up methods multiple times and nothing seems to be working :/ Right now, I've had it charging (with no red LED showing) and it keeps turning on and off, but it's just a black screen that stays on, shuts off for a second or two, then back on for a minute or so. None of the bottom row buttons are lighting up or blinking, it's just stuck doing this. Earlier when I tried the button combos, it would pulse every minute or so, as it does when starting up the phone. I guess that's what happens when you buy a phone second-hand that initially had an issue >_> is there any way to work around this/get it to start again? I'm almost half tempted to pull the white outer cover off and pulling the battery, hopefully resetting the issue....

Hello!

As a user of the HTC One XL, I know the phone in and out. I don't suggest you remove the phone's poly-carbonate casing unless you absolutely need to (repairs and such). Can you access any modes like Bootloader? Is the phone modified (rooted, recovery, custom rom, etc.)? When the phone turns off hold the power+vol down at that exact moment to see if it will boot up in bootloader. Let me know if anything turns up or if you have anymore questions.

mehpersonguy0

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't access anything, unfortunately....the phone came stock unlocked with no mods/roms whatsoever, and I haven't rooted it (yet, assuming I can still save this thing) I've tried power/vol down numerous times, I've heard power/vol up and home button (even though its a touch membrane-type "button"?) should take it to the recovery menu, but that didn't do anything....while it (seems to be) power cycling, the bottom row buttons flash at times. I'm honestly about to throw it out the window at this point and hope that Galaxy S II is still for sale and that I can unlock it >_> it's been a rough day and my patience is wearing thin...I'll probably get back on fixing it tomorrow, assuming I can

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't access anything, unfortunately....the phone came stock unlocked with no mods/roms whatsoever, and I haven't rooted it (yet, assuming I can still save this thing) I've tried power/vol down numerous times, I've heard power/vol up and home button (even though its a touch membrane-type "button"?) should take it to the recovery menu, but that didn't do anything....while it (seems to be) power cycling, the bottom row buttons flash at times. I'm honestly about to throw it out the window at this point and hope that Galaxy S II is still for sale and that I can unlock it >_> it's been a rough day and my patience is wearing thin...I'll probably get back on fixing it tomorrow, assuming I can

Patience is key my friend. If you are frustrated, it means that you need to take a break from it. Sometimes problems cannot be solved the first day. Have you tried connecting it to a computer to see if it continues to power cycle?

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

mehpersonguy0

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I plugged into my PC and this is what happened within ~2 minutes, to be somewhat exact: nothing had changed, so I pressed the power button. The red LED flashed a few times, then stayed on solidly. I held the power button again, and the red LED went off, bottom row lights flashed 15 times, then went off. Now it's still power-cycling and connecting/disconnecting to my computer (I hear the USB connect and disconnect chime repeatedly) as well as pulsing every minute er so.

EDIT: After about a half hour of that, I plugged it back into my AC adapter and held all 3 buttons for about 2 minutes (leaving an imprint on my fingers >_<) and all that did was bring the charge LED back on....at least its *some* progress. I'm gonna let it charge for about 10 minutes before attempting anything else

Last edited:

mehpersonguy0

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
While I was trying to fix my phone again for the first time in a few days, I finally pulled it apart and figured out the issue: the lower ribbon cable for the screen had been torn somehow at some point ._. I don't know if that'd cause it to be stuck in a boot loop, but it would explain why the screen wasn't lighting/showing anything. I had noticed the day it "died" temporarily that the outer screen/plastic was pulling away from the inner board for some reason, I guess the glue had worn off over the years?

IMG_20141015_220528.jpg

IMG_20141015_221056.jpg