HTC U11 or Xperia XZ Premium

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as I and others can tell, manual mode does not affect the amount of oversharping. It allows you to adjust white balance, shutter speed, ISO, etc., but still sharpens the jpg the same (too much). Since there is no raw available there isn't much that can be done about those oversharpened jpg's.
I shot in both SA and Manual mode and it seemed that the ones shot in Manual mode don't have quite as much sharpening.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Can you post up a couple of comparison photos? Ideally somewhere that we can get the whole file.
I shot on a store unit, and I didn't transfer the photos over to my personal device wirelessly. :/

But that's from what I observed. I'll be sure to get them the next time I get the chance to have one. If someone I know uses an XZ Premium as their daily, even better.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you no longer using the XZ Premium then? What device have you opted to use currently if you don't mind my asking :)
I used a unit at a store, so my time was quite limited. From reading what others had to say, it's a pretty good handset for daily use.

I use a Moto Z with a Mophie mod currently.

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I made my decision. Just got home:

IMG_20170628_1310506_zpsoornuith.jpg

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's hellllla shiney and I love it. Really pleased I went for this over the HTC. Haven't even tried camera yet. Setting it all up but off for coffee with a friend now (joys of a day off!) So will post back later.
Yeah, take your time to play around with what it has.

I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's a nice phone.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Congrats! Very nice. Let us know your first impressions.

I just saw a dummy model in an EE shop and thought the bezels are nowhere near as bad in real life.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone done a camera comparison in daylight between these two cameras? I keep seeing low-light comparisons but I've no real interest in taking low-light photos, I normally only bother with landscapes in the day time. Would be really interested to see what's better.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried both.

TBH, they're really good smartphones that feature 16:9 displays. The U11 wins out for audio while the XZ Premium's display does seem to be the better performer in a broader range of situations.

Both are zippy performers day to day (even if the XZ Premium is a little throttled due to being a store device under constant heavy use) and both are indeed capable of snapping great photos with a little effort (the U11 probably needs spot metering to be enabled via "Touch Autoexposure" in the settings while the XZ Premium would probably be best left in manual mode to curb the oversharpening in Superior Auto).

It's hard for me to decide between either, but I'd probably spring for the XZ, which is actually kind of a surprise since I would usually spring for anything but a Sony after the Z3+ debacle. That's how much I liked the XZ Premium. The U11 is actually better than I thought it would be, and aside from no jack and my disdain for glass phones, it's an extremely well-thought out HTC flagship, but the XZP has some weird charm that makes me want to keep using it.
Yeah I would have given the nod to XZ premium as well if not for the bad ergonomics in using it every day. I use my phone a lot and with XZ premium after using it for a while you start getting really uncomfortable holding in hand. Yes that's different for each person but if XZ premium was a bit more comfortable to hold I would have considered it making my daily driver.

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I would have given the nod to XZ premium as well if not for the bad ergonomics in using it every day. I use my phone a lot and with XZ premium after using it for a while you start getting really uncomfortable holding in hand. Yes that's different for each person but if XZ premium was a bit more comfortable to hold I would have considered it making my daily driver.
Really?! Surprising to hear.
I've had mine a full 24 hours now, so nowhere near enough time to judge that properly, but the time I have spent with it has been a joy. It is heavy and bulky and it is a phone that needs to be used with two hands (for me anyway) so I can see why some would think it's slightly uncomfortable over time.

I just like how it's flat bottom means I can rest my little finger under the chin which is always comfortable for me, and makes me feel better about lowering the risk of potentially dropping it!

Personally I love it so far, though it does have its list of dislikes from me. But what phone is perfect? For now it's a really great Android experience and I'm loving it. :)

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the OP5 as well, if I have to choose among all three I still choose U11 because I feel it strikes the perfect balance.
I am on process of returning my OP5 for U11. How did you like OP5? I think performance is great but camera wasn't very impressive compared to U11.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am on process of returning my OP5 for U11. How did you like OP5? I think performance is great but camera wasn't very impressive compared to U11.
Yeah camera and also display I was not impressed. I think U11 is worth the extra dollars.

Infact selling off the OP5 locally today.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't buy the XZ Premium based on the bezels alone. The phone is fugly. I am intrigued by the rumor that Sony may be releasing a bezel-less phone this year.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys.

Bit of a weird one, as both pretty different handsets and technically the U11 is the better phone on paper (camera, audio etc). But I like both of them.

I played with both in some shops at the weekend (I'm in the UK) and was fully expecting to get the U11, but then I had a quick go of the XZ Premium and was really impressed with that screen and even the design. Call me odd ha, but I liked the chrome chin and forehead even if they are way too big in 2017. Heck, they were too big in 2014 :p.

I did have an XZ last year and really liked it. But the screen got a defect and it ended up going for repair. They just flat out replaced it for a brand new one (CarPhoneWarehouse, not Sony) and I just sold it on as new but did miss it after.

I like Sony's version of Android the most out of all I have ever used. I haven't tried HTC yet, but I'm sure I'll get along fine with it.

The camera is important to me, hence why I originally wanted the U11, as is audio as I listen to a lot of music on my device. Whilst Sony isn't exactly bad in that regard, the camera could be better, but then it has that slow-mo which I think would be really cool.

Pretty torn. I think I like the look of the XZ more but the HTC would be a more sensible phone to buy I think. But in my experience and usage with phones, I always end up wanting the one that I find the more attractive rather than the one that looks pretty boring. Hence why I never got a Pixel despite it being the best Android experience you can get!

Any help be great if poss guys! Thanks :)
It's not weird. I actually find the bezels of the new Samsung phones too small. Hard to hold without activi
activating screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez