What do you like, dislike about the Oreo update and what new features have you found?

nileshdd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Seems faster (I know :)) but honestly, really seems much smoother after update to Oreo. just been a day but the battery is holding up better for me today.

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
What I like is so far it seems smoother. Hopefully I don't have the issue of a push and hold action accidentally swiping the notification shade down. We also now have picture in picture mode. Used Google maps and when I clicked home it made a small window of maps overlaying the desktop.

What I don't like is new emojis are Googles and not HTC's. Also in picture in picture mode sometimes when you click to full screen the app it'll stay zoomed in. So you have to swipe it away and reopen it.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Actually I'm having a hard time getting PIP videos to work. Using Chrome, I start up a video, make sure it's in full screen mode, hit home, and I'll briefly get the small lower right video screen. But then after a few seconds either the audio cuts out, the small screen will disappear, or it goes back to full screen on its own. I've tried it a bunch of times and not once does it work the way it's supposed to. And with YouTube it doesn't work at all...I start the video, hit home, and the video stops and I get nothing on my home screen at all.

nileshdd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually I'm having a hard time getting PIP videos to work. Using Chrome, I start up a video, make sure it's in full screen mode, hit home, and I'll briefly get the small lower right video screen. But then after a few seconds either the audio cuts out, the small screen will disappear, or it goes back to full screen on its own. I've tried it a bunch of times and not once does it work the way it's supposed to. And with YouTube it doesn't work at all...I start the video, hit home, and the video stops and I get nothing on my home screen at all.

Same for me. Doesn't work with YouTube. What are the steps there?

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Same for me. Doesn't work with YouTube. What are the steps there?

You should just be able to start a video in YouTube, hit the home button and that video should be shown in a small window on your home screen. I've seen it working on one of the High Tech Travelers' videos on YouTube with the u11+. Not working at all for me on the u11.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I found out that it only works on YouTube red. I have got it to work on maps after starting navigation.

Yes, and if you download Google play music - youtube red is included. Loving everything about this phone (save not being able to receive MMS on 3rd party apps), but i feel like Google has stripped me of every last bit of privacy i ever had, and ever will have if i keep this phone. That has really been pulling on my chain. :(

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
When in an app press and hold the recent app button. The app your in should shift to the top half of the screen and recent apps should be in the bottom half. Select the second app from the list or navigate to the app you want ( home screen, app drawer) and select and that app should appear in the bottom half of the screen.

Thanks James!

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The pull-down menu is white now when it was black for me before. Haven't been able to find if I can change it.

There is an invert colors option on the pull down if you swipe right, but it does it for everything, and its messes up everything else. I do not like the white background at all.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
There is an invert colors option on the pull down if you swipe right, but it does it for everything, and its messes up everything else. I do not like the white background at all.

It's my understanding that you can change the theme using Substratum and Andromeda.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Also, when deleting notifications, it closes the entire notification shade instead of them sliding to the right like they used to. I'll get used to it , but this is another thing i do not like.:(

nileshdd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did buy Andromeda and playing with substratum now. any recommendations on a theme that comes closest to pixel Oreo? I want to replicate that look.