Why NOT to buy a HTC phone!!!

iberiamedic

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought every HTC from the HTC OneX to the HTC U11. The U11 was bought in Sept 2017 and cracked the screen after 2 weeks. So, in Nov 2017 I sent it off to HTC thinking, like they said to me, I will have it back in 4 to 6 weeks. Well, I just got off of the phone with Repair Service and they still do not have an answer on when I will get it back. Now, I asked them to just send it back to me and the guy said he can not do that. He even told me that it took him 4 months before he got his back from the repair shop. Are you kidding me. 1/3 of a year to get it back...really...for a screen repair. Now, the phone is great, but you would like good service with a buy and this is the worst. I will never get a phone made by this company again and I believe that the Pixel is made by them, so that is out of the question unless Google do not send it to them to repair a screen. Before I sent it, I checked for weeks to see if any company in the USA could fix it since I heard horrible stories about HTC service. No one could get the screen, so I did not have a choice. When I get it back...it is going to EBAY.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
As I have posted before, Sprint seems to have all the repair screens. Took 4 days to get the screen fixed with a free loaner. But I feel your pain. The demise of HTC is imminent. Seems to be just like the final days of Palm and then the end of HP and WebOS. If they can't fix or replace a phone in a week, time to cut bait from HTC.

anon(9533742)

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Google just plunked down 1.1 B $ for HTC in Sept. I'm guessing operations have been shaken up more than just a tad and it may be taking a toll on customer service, but your guess is as good as mine.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had HTC smartphones all this time and currently have the 10. I still think it's terrific and quite durable, although having a case probably helps with the later! I just installed Oreo on it and it seems to be working as good as ever.

I'd love to consider the U12 or whatever other phone is coming up, but I am going to give serious thought to the other ones out there in the next month or three. I still used wired headphones and rely on an SD card, so making a jump to Samsung or LG isn't out of the question right now. And even though I still enjoy the look of Sense a lot more than Samsung Experience or other Android/iOS phones, the HTC brand is going through tougher times almost every year. Familiarity isn't a bad thing, but like some of you are pointing out on here, it's hard to know how the reliability or features will remain top-notch.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I just sent my Sprint U11 in because of a faulty USB-C port. Back in less than a week as good as new. Pretty happy with Sprint right now...

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
but that is Sprint not HTC who is fixing them. if your bought it unlocked your have to sent it to HTC. like I'm going to have to and go back to my 10 for now since it seems I have having battery problems and I have done everything from Factory resets to calibrating the battery. sad they are saying 6 to 8 weeks but I'm thinking it may be longer work them.

gtpred99

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Sprint uses Asurion. Sent my wife's HTC 10 that used to be mine in for a new battery. In less than 2 weeks we had it back.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Sprint uses Asurion. Sent my wife's HTC 10 that used to be mine in for a new battery. In less than 2 weeks we had it back.

Did you have insurance through Sprint? I have mine for the 10 at the moment and even though the battery's seen better days, I haven't considered asking them to do something about it yet. The USB-C port does have trouble holding a charge sometimes, but it's an occasional hiccup more than a serious thing at the moment too.

If I did something about both, I'd consider holding onto it for a bit longer! Otherwise, the phone has been pretty great to me.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you have insurance through Sprint? I have mine for the 10 at the moment and even though the battery's seen better days, I haven't considered asking them to do something about it yet. The USB-C port does have trouble holding a charge sometimes, but it's an occasional hiccup more than a serious thing at the moment too.

If I did something about both, I'd consider holding onto it for a bit longer! Otherwise, the phone has been pretty great to me.

I have insurance on my U11 through Sprint and they just replaced my USB-C port. It is under warranty and they fixed it, no charge. Next day air both ways. Gone for a total of 6 days. They actually fixed my phone, and didn't just send me a refurbished replacement like they have in the past.I wasn't sure at first because my phone looked new when it came back, with plastic on it and all, but check all numbers with the ones that came on the box and it was my original phone.

gtpred99

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I have insurance through Sprint. Be aware, they said if they didn't have the part's or I couldn't be repaired, that I would get an HTC Bolt as an "equal" replacement. Fortunately, the 10 I sent in was actually the one I got back.

Vashist Venkatesh

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I've had an HTC device all my life. Started off with an HTC desire 626 and then moved on to an HTC m9 plus which I used for almost 3 years with no problems. I then decided to upgrade to an HTC u11. Loved everything about the phone. 5 Months in and I accidentally cracked the screen. Decided to visit the service centre myself. I was told it would set me back around $350 to get it repaired. Thats the cost of a decent phone these days. Was in a state of disbelief for a few days as I could not afford to replace the screen. So as of now I've decided never to go back to HTC ever again. And I must add, this phone is the most feeble phone I've ever had and prone to cracks and scratches.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had an HTC device all my life. Started off with an HTC desire 626 and then moved on to an HTC m9 plus which I used for almost 3 years with no problems. I then decided to upgrade to an HTC u11. Loved everything about the phone. 5 Months in and I accidentally cracked the screen. Decided to visit the service centre myself. I was told it would set me back around $350 to get it repaired. Thats the cost of a decent phone these days. Was in a state of disbelief for a few days as I could not afford to replace the screen. So as of now I've decided never to go back to HTC ever again. And I must add, this phone is the most feeble phone I've ever had and prone to cracks and scratches.
Wow that price is unreasonable. I mean Samsung could say, it's more expensive to make the curved glass and screen, but the U11 has a flat screen, and LCD, not AMOLED, to boot. And an S8 screen replacement costs like 200-250 'only'. I don't see a reason why HTC should be that expensive.

rcy1

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My U11 has been there (repair facility in Texas) since Nov 6, 2017, also for a cracked screen repair. I love when I call their number and get someone in the Phillipines (I think) who know absolutely not what they're doing and EACH AND EVERY TIME, I have to tell them my whole sad story from scratch, despite the previous rep saying they were updating everything in my file on the computer.

I thought I had it all resolved when I got an email in late January saying that if I didn't pay the given estimate of $200, they would ship the phone back. I called them and advised that I had never received an estimate at any time since shipping them the phone, and was told that due to the confusion, they would offer me half off on the repair estimate. (if I had know then, what I know now, I would have just told them to ship me the phone back).

Giddy with excitement at finally sorting it out, I gave them my CC number. I was then told that the 'office that processes the payment' was unavailable, but they would call me back in 3 days. A week later, I CALLED THEM BACK, and was told that they were still 'waiting for the 50% discount code' to apply to my estimate. WTF? Like searching the internet for a coupon code or something??!!

A week later I called back again and ranted and demanded to speak to someone in the RMA department. I got someone named Lina, who advised me that the payment processing problem was almost sorted out and they would debit my card as soon as possible and 'I'll call you back in 3 days'. I asked if I would have to wait another 3 or 4 months once the payment was processed to actually have the screen repaired. She said 'No, we are just going to ship you a new phone, once the payment is processed.'

That was about 3 weeks ago. I never heard back from Lina. I have called the number on the website and also the number for HTC North America in Washington - this only gets you a receptionist who can apparently not transfer calls anywhere, but only take notes to pass on to the RMA department. I also emailed every email address I could find for any corporate management and the customer service email, including some woman that is the President or Chairwoman or something in Taiwan probably. No response.

When I reach someone at the customer service #, they tell me that they are having 'phone problems' and can't reach the RMA department. What?? For a month. A tech company can't fix an internal phone network problem for over a month. Then, when I ask about paying the estimate, they tell me that 'the system that processes credit card payments is having technical problems'. Really...for over a month? Again...tech company can't fix this??!!!

Finally, last week, just over four months in (so HTC has actually had my phone, longer than I've had my phone), and after several phone calls where I literally screamed on the phone, someone named Arby called me (from the Phillipines), saying she was my case manager (whatever happened to Lina and my NEW phone??? No one knows.) and they would be WAIVING the entire repair fee because of this complete failure of customer service. She said they had sent the information to the repair facility to waive the fee and go ahead and repair the phone. She would call me back with the tracking number once it was repaired and shipped back to me. So much for just shipping me a new phone, which (one would think) would be very easy to do, and not involve trying to process a credit card payment on their payment system that apparently has not been working for over a month.

Well, obviously, based on the experience over the past four months, I'm not holding my breath waiting for this to happen. The phone hasn't even been repaired and God knows they probably don't have any glass in stock, if they even receive the information to waive the repair. Maybe they'll ship me a U12...bahahaha.

I've owned an HTC Legend, a One M7, an M9 and this U11. Unfortunately, the U11 will be my last HTC. When I get it back it's going on kijiji or craigslist or ebay or whatever. I like HTC's hardware and their software, better than the Samsung phones I've owned, but this experience has soured me to the point of no return. It's no wonder HTC is losing market share and has become a bit player in the smartphone arena.

I've moved on to the OnePlus 5t and liked it so much I got a second one for my wife to replace her Note 4.

Thanks for the miserable fail, HTC. This company should be ashamed of this ludicrous display of poor customer service.

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
**** that. I'm dealing with my own repair issue right now. The customer service agents only tell you want you want to hear. It's such bull****. And when you catch them, they stick to what they're probably been told as if they really can't ******* help.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Now that the S9+ has better sounding speakers than HTC and 3.5 jack, I see no reason to get an HTC phone now. Camera better as well, plus better display.

josh west2

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
I have used htc themselves for repairs on several times, I have never had to wait that long. the longest u had to wait was 3-5 Standard for standard shipping because I had a deposit to have them send me a new one while I held on to mine. before that I sent it with the lrovided overnight label and had a new one in a couple days