A couple issues with my brand new U12. Have you experienced these?

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, firstly

and baring in mind my phone is like a few weeks old, i've noticed light bleed at the bottom of the screen when the always on display is on. The brightness of the screen fluctuates (which i don't know if that's normal). This issue arises when it's at its brightest, when the brightness goes down (which then means you can barely see the time on the display) the bleeding isn't happening.

Secondly, which i annoyingly discovered after returning from a concert; the audio whilst recording. All of my videos i recorded were distorted. Unusable. Now all my previous phone have handled this perfectly (M7, M9, HTC 10) Why is this phone with 4 mics (!) an issue. Of course HTC tell me to do a factory reset but i wanna avoid that just for now. Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering if there's an issue with the phone or if HTC cheaped out and all 4 mics are just crap.

and lastly, and it's obviously linked to the previous issue, when i record and send voice msgs via FB messenger and Whatsapp the result is a muffled mess. Yet when i record voice with the built in voice recorder it sounds great.

Appreciate any feedback.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced any of these issues. My issues have been with how delicate the thing is. Broke the back within 2 weeks of having it and the screen probably a couple months in but the real crappy part is, the back was easy to find but the screen was a royal pain. It took me probably 3 and half, four months to find one. Being new to the phone if you haven't or aren't is recommend that clear case that comes with it and a tempered glass screen protector.

Also I'm not sure a factory reset would help your issues, that's like the standard go to for tech-no support. If your mic works perfectly in any app but then not in another I'd be more inclined to think it was the app. Were you using anything other than the stock camera at the concert? Were you using the 3d sound feature? I'm wondering if the db were too much for the mic (s) and caused the distortion. It shouldn't have carried over after that tho which is why I'm a little miffed. I would probably play around with it and try to find the exact circumstances when the issues arise. 3d sound, only messenger app, were you streaming the concert thru Facebook? Maybe Facebook is your issue. Might try uninstalling it and installing it again. You won't lose anything cause all of your messages and content is in Facebook's cloud, you'll just have to sign in again.

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey! Thanks for your reply. I wasn't expecting one, seems a bit dead around here.

I also don't think a factory reset will help, but this is what HTC told me to try. I was using the stock camera yes, the 3d feature is on as standard. The only only options are Audio zoom and hi-res. So frustrating tho.

I do have another little issue too. I spent 15 pounds on a quality Hama usb c - 3.5 adaptor so i could also use my hi res Sony headphones only to realise i can't use my audio profiles, meaning the audio is worse than using my headphones on my 10 because i could use my audio profile!! Urhhhhhhh

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey! Thanks for your reply. I wasn't expecting one, seems a bit dead around here.

I also don't think a factory reset will help, but this is what HTC told me to try. I was using the stock camera yes, the 3d feature is on as standard. The only only options are Audio zoom and hi-res. So frustrating tho.

I do have another little issue too. I spent 15 pounds on a quality Hama usb c - 3.5 adaptor so i could also use my hi res Sony headphones only to realise i can't use my audio profiles, meaning the audio is worse than using my headphones on my 10 because i could use my audio profile!! Urhhhhhhh

Regarding the recording audio, I had that problem as well using the Sonic Zoom feature, but I find the audio records better using 3D instead. The Zoom seems like a good ideas, but it gets really distorted.

Not sure what to say about your adapter. I'm using the one made by Razer, and it sounds incredible. It actually sounds better than the headphones that came with the phone.

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to get good volume out of it too? i have to put it up to 100% and it still isnt loud enough

i also get a notification saying the phone is charging the connected device when i put it in the phone!!

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to get good volume out of it too? i have to put it up to 100% and it still isnt loud enough

i also get a notification saying the phone is charging the connected device when i put it in the phone!!

Oh yeah, it sounds incredible. It also has a built-in DAC, so you may want to check and see if yours does?

I attached a photo of what my phone says when I plug in the 3.5 adapter:

thumbnail_Screenshot_20190114-171446.png

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
ok, ,mine has no DAC. I'm assuming this is the reason then?

I had no idea about these things having built in DACs before buying!

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This is what I have:

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07798HM3H/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6444309]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07798HM3H/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]

[URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Frazer.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F685341%2F10229%3FsubId1%3DUUacUvbUpU6444309%26subId2%3Dvbac%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.razer.com%252Fmobile%252Frazer-phone-audio-adapter%2522&token=muzkMy-3]https://www.razer.com/mobile/razer-phone-audio-adapter[/URL]

Benny218

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Can you notice on my pic from the back of the package. It says 'converts the signal from digital to analogue'

That's not good surely?

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Can you notice on my pic from the back of the package. It says 'converts the signal from digital to analogue'

That's not good surely?

Yeah, not sure about that. And that guy is a hater... it's 20 bucks well spent. I have two of them.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Benny, I hope this helps out to either understand or fix the issues :)

1 Light bleed: The U12+ uses an LED array at the bottom of the screen for the backlight, and it needs to be bright for the light to travel evenly up the waveguide which distributes the light across the entire screen. With the always on display, the light is turned on, but that light is blocked by the crystals of the LCD turning black over most of the screen. It only shows up with the AOD, but not in any other situation. It does not bother me because I know that's how this design works. Most LCD's don't use AOD, so this aspect of the engineering does not get noticed much. Your unit is normal in this regard.

2. Brightness fluctuation: There is a light sensor at the top of the screen near the right corner. If your brightness is set to "auto", then this sensor is used to measure ambient brightness and then adjust screen brightness accordingly. It should work smoothly when room brightness changes, and it should not be random at all. If brightness changes for no reason (and nothing is obscuring the sensor like a thick case), then the unit might be defective. Keep in mind that some situations, like in a car holder on a bright day, the sensor might be "looking" at the dark interior of your car.

3. Audio recording: There are three options for recording audio for your videos.
A: Hi-Res Audio (stereo).
B: 3D Audio (surround sound).
C: Sonic Zoom (focused audio).
I often work as the main sound engineer for live concerts, and for your use, the best setting is Hi-Res Audio. This captures left and right stereo sound using two microphones facing the direction of the camera. 3D Audio uses all the microphones to capture the ambient sound around you, which would include all the audience noise around you. Sonic Zoom uses the mics as a focused directional microphone array which is controlled by software and used to focus in on whatever the camera is aimed at or zoomed into. Concerts can reach sound levels of over 110 decibels, sometimes as much as 120. So, I can see zoomed audio being overwhelmed. I would not use audio zoom at a concert unless it was unamplified acoustic instruments. I've used the Sonic Zoom feature myself recording fireworks, and the results were amazingly good, but that's a different environment than a concert. Try the Hi-Res audio and see how that works. The recording levels should be automatic, so if it still distorts, you may have a bad microphone module. HTC used excellent microphones in the U11 and U12+.

4. FB messenger and Whatsapp audio: These apps use the microphone at the top of the screen. The built in voice recorder uses the bottom microphone. The top microphone is also used for speakerphone calls, and as a measurement mic while recording using Sonic Zoom.

After looking at all this, I think your upper microphone on the front, just to the right of the earpiece, may be bad. If a factory reset does not fix it, you can tell HTC you were told by a professional audio engineer that you have a bad microphone ;)

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh, by the way, the HTC dongle can be purchased directly from HTC, and I believe it's also available on Amazon.com in the UK. The HTC one is excellent, better quality than most built-in headphone jacks, and very musical sounding as well.

The DAC is a digital-to-analog converter, and is necessary because music on your phone is stored in digital format, and the output drivers in your headphones are analog. The DAC converted the digital 1's and 0's to analog music.