Psypoketrainer

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
Hello People!

I am new here. I am seeking for help. I own a huawei p10 phone (Emui 8.0.0). Currently, the gps on my phone is not being able to detect my correct location. When I go to google maps, the blue dot appears to be in one of my neighbourhood apartments, while I am sitting at home. My Wifi connection is strong, I have done factory resetting, The gps location is set to high accuracy. None of my other family members (who is google android, IOS) have this problem. It's only me. Could anyone of you help me fix this issue?

Thanks,

Pascal

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
If you are in s building that could be why your GPS signal is inaccurate, it depends on the construction of the building as to how well the GPS penetrates the structure.

Have you checked the accuracy of the gps in the open?

Psypoketrainer

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
Yes. The accuracy is high in the open. If there was any fault in the construction, other members of family should have also faced the gps issue like me. But that isn't the case. My sister uses android too, and gps works fine on her phone. I am just wondering what I could do to improve the accuracy of gps on my phone. This problem has occured since three days.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Aha, you didn't say that your family were all in the same building. Also do they have the same phone as you? Not all phones are as good at detecting the gps signal from the satellites, the more satellites the phone can detect the more accurate it will be. Give it a few days or a week as it may just be weather conditions. Accuracy in the open is more important than in your building because you know where you are when you are at home.

Last edited:

Psypoketrainer

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
Two of my family members use Iphone8, my sister uses a phone that has google android as operating system. I use huawei p10 that has emui android 8.0.0. I never had this issue with gps before. We all live in the same building and share the same Wifi connection. when I use my monthly data pack (3G or 4G), the problem still persists. It has got to do with the android version that I am using. GPS is accurate outside the building though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, GPS has nothing to do with Wifi.

Second, if the building construction is such that you're getting multipath distortion (a signal reflecting off something, so it appears to be two signals, or the signal your phone is seeing is the reflected one, making the path a nanosecond or two longer), your phone's GPS may not be as good at rejecting multipath distortion as your sister's phone. Different software in different GPS receivers are susceptible to different things.

So unless you need GPS to find your way around your house (that was a joke), as long as the GPS is accurate outside, I wouldn't worry about it, unless I was planning on using it in a large city with nothing but large (50 floors or more) buildings, or in a dense forest. GPS is nominally accurate to 10 meters (32.8 feet), so if it's 32 feet off, it's working normally, it's just at the edge of its accuracy.

Install GPS Status & Toolbox, run it and, when it gets a fix, look at the HDOP (horizontal dilution of precision - the middle number in DOP/HDOP/VDOP; that's a measure of how accurate the GPS is at the moment in the horizontal plane). The lower the number, the better, but if it's close to 10, it's still within the system's specs. (In my house it happens to be 1.0 at the moment, but there's almost no wind [that can affect it], the sun has been up all day [a change in temperature outdoors affects it], the house is made of wood and is only 1 floor, and there's nothing above - as far as the GPS is concerned, it's outdoors. I've had situations in large, "lots of steel" buildings, in which the GPS couldn't get a signal at all.)

(GPS is totally separate from cellphone, WiFi, mobile data - it's a 1.5GHz [approximately] signal coming from the GPS satellites. It's very weak. And location is calculated by the differences in the time it takes the signals from each satellite to arrive at the receiver - down to 2 or 3 nanoseconds. So it's like a city balanced on a pin - anything can throw the accuracy off. The great thing isn't how accurate it can get, it's that it can work at all - from a tiny satellite to a small cellphone. Back in the 50s, you'd need a 10 foot tall antenna and a few feet of 6 foot tall cabinets to contain the equipment needed to not even come close to what's in your phone as just one little part of it. Oh, and at least one technician at each cabinet to keep the system balanced constantly. That is kind of miraculous, isn't it?)

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Rukbat has given the full and technical reply, so don't worry as you say it is accurate in the open.
Personally, if I am relying on GPS for navigation on foot I always use my dedicated Garmin GPS with an up-to-date map installed, Never rely on your phone for navigation away from a power supply, it has a limited battery life and is completely useless when the battery runs out, so no option to call for assistance.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Wi-fi scanning is meant to improve location accuracy, (I'm not convinced it does) but it's worth a try. Turn it on if it's set to off. Let us know if there is any change in accuracy.

lorraine lopez

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
Hello People!

I am new here. I am seeking for help. I own a huawei p10 phone (Emui 8.0.0). Currently, the gps on my phone is not being able to detect my correct location. When I go to google maps, the blue dot appears to be in one of my neighbourhood apartments, while I am sitting at home. My Wifi connection is strong, I have done factory resetting, The gps location is set to high accuracy. None of my other family members (who is google android, IOS) have this problem. It's only me. Could anyone of you help me fix this issue?

Thanks,

Pascal