Android Pie on boxing day . Bell Canada

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Good god the sound control on 9.0 is annoying. Pressing the volume button you only get to choose one setting to control the volume, such as Ringtone or Media. There is no arrow to open all 4 volumes but a direct to settings button but in that menu changing the volume gives sample sound levels. Highly annoying when in public and just annoying to have to go to a second screen for full volume control in general.

I hear ya (no pun intended LOL). No reason to hear tones here plus the window stays open rather than like the drop-down which used to automatically disappear. An advancement trying to cram everything into one that we can do without.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Me too but not really concerned about Security updates, I just want the latest OS.

I'm not concerned about the security updates either but it is an example of what it's like after they take your money say to hell with updates. The EMUI is really at the discretion of the provider so it's not really on Huawei but this has been a mess from the begining months ago.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's what I definitely hate about android but also used to it I guess it's probably the reason why I upgrade.

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
TBH there isn't a lot that Pie/EMUI 9.0 brings to the table over Oreo/EMUI 8.1. The battery of the P20 Pro is so good you won't notice the extra efficiency of the OS update. Gesture navigation is probably the most worthy but if you use the fingerprint sensor for navigation you already have it in a sense. GPU Turbo I guess helps if you play the limited games that support it but really don't get stressed out over having to wait for EMUI 9.0. I personally find it worse just with the volume button change alone.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Making a difference for me. Wasn’t always the case but now that many of these devices have gotten more sophisticated (usefulness being sustainable for longer), higher priced, security concerns, etc. I do expect companies to show they are committing more to the support end of things especially now going into 2019 – I’d probably be onboard Apple’s “iShip” for this single reason (support) if it weren’t for their insane pricing strategies (iWantMore for less) along with a few other dislikes - If a company is only interested in pumping out new devices then I’ll move on.

Samsung hasn't had the best track record in regards to support either yet my 34 month old GS7 Edge has been getting regular security updates in 2018 (on Nov's). In comparison, our P20 Pro got I think two in nearly 9 months of ownership, not counting that which came with UMUI 9.0 which ended up being only Nov's anyway. One would have thunk a 2018 flagship would be better supported than that which came out in 2016 but for me twasn't the case.
My BlackBerry (Android) bought late 2017 received regular updates for seven months then fell off the wagon. Our Windows Phones have been receiving monthly security updates though LOL.

Dunno but the Pixel looks more enticing each and every day although I was a little disappointed they opted for only 4GB RAM on their latest offerings. The "Essential Phone 2" would have been easily a contender (if it were to be) as I was thoroughly impressed how they supported the first offering considering all that had happened. Nokia is lurking in the wings so keeping an eye on them. Wiped Samsung's flagships off my list for the simple fact we don't like curved displays, think they are less apt to support the mid to low range as well. LG, lost interest after my G4 (great phone) and haven't looked back. Unless we see substantial improvements w/Huawei on the support end they’ll become a has-been to me as well no matter how awesome their hardware becomes.

So, curious to see what 2019 has in store, better support or same old?

Honestly don't know what basis you're saying this on, my Mate 9 from over two years ago is still getting consistent updates and got Oreo long before Samsung, P20 Pro+new Mate 20 Pro both got plenty of updates as well so in terms of updates Huawei is definitely one of the better ones. Maybe it's cause I'm with Freedom so there aren't restrictions or delays it is dependent of your carrier they need to approve the update first before it can be pushed out so if you're still on the same carrier a different phone wouldn't help much.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm not concerned about the security updates either but it is an example of what it's like after they take your money say to hell with updates. The EMUI is really at the discretion of the provider so it's not really on Huawei but this has been a mess from the begining months ago.

My Mate 9 back up phone was one of the first to get Oreo and is still getting security updates consistently with some of the updates even adding new features even though the phone is more than two years old so to me Huawei is already one of the better ones when it comes to updates. I trust they will support their flagships in the long term.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Honestly don't know what basis you're saying this on, my Mate 9 from over two years ago is still getting consistent updates and got Oreo long before Samsung, P20 Pro+new Mate 20 Pro both got plenty of updates as well so in terms of updates Huawei is definitely one of the better ones. Maybe it's cause I'm with Freedom so there aren't restrictions or delays it is dependent of your carrier they need to approve the update first before it can be pushed out so if you're still on the same carrier a different phone wouldn't help much.

In 7 months of ownership my P20 Pro has received two security updates/patches, yes this is within Google criteria of at least every three months but still. And from what I can gather this Pie update has been so scattered/inconsistent. Yes definitely carriers can have an impact yet I've seen/experienced many instances where the carriers involvement vs manufactures has been questionable, can't say one way or the other what's been the stumbling block(s) here but IMO its been a strange one.

In comparison, my Motion received monthly patches for its first 8 months but then sort of fell off the wagon a while back after its Oreo update, on November patch as of now though. Our 34 month old Samsung GS7 Edge has been pretty consistent too this year with its patches being Nov's as well. Guess what I am say is that we expected better from Huawei especially considering they are aiming for the No. 1 spot by 2020. Suppose 2019 will be tell-tail as to what I should expect from the No. 2 smartphone vendor.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
In 7 months of ownership my P20 Pro has received two security updates/patches, yes this is within Google criteria of at least every three months but still. And from what I can gather this Pie update has been so scattered/inconsistent. Yes definitely carriers can have an impact yet I've seen/experienced many instances where the carriers involvement vs manufactures has been questionable, can't say one way or the other what's been the stumbling block(s) here but IMO its been a strange one.

In comparison, my Motion received monthly patches for its first 8 months but then sort of fell off the wagon a while back after its Oreo update, on November patch as of now though. Our 34 month old Samsung GS7 Edge has been pretty consistent too this year with its patches being Nov's as well. Guess what I am say is that we expected better from Huawei especially considering they are aiming for the No. 1 spot by 2020. Suppose 2019 will be tell-tail as to what I should expect from the No. 2 smartphone vendor.

That's strange, my P20 Pro got plenty of updates including major ones like the auto slowmo one and GPU Turbo one. But like I've said maybe it's cause I'm with Freedom so my carrier isn't delaying the updates. Also Huawei rolls out updates in batches instead of all at the same time some may get updates a few days later.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
That's strange, my P20 Pro got plenty of updates including major ones like the auto slowmo one and GPU Turbo one. But like I've said maybe it's cause I'm with Freedom so my carrier isn't delaying the updates. Also Huawei rolls out updates in batches instead of all at the same time some may get updates a few days later.

Got the auto slowmo update believe on my second update/patch (our last before EMUI 9.0). And although kept hearing about it, never received the GPU Turbo update until PIE, not that it was a big concern to me as do not game whatsoever.

Yeah updates can be a mixed bag for sure yet sometimes I have to questions who's to blame. Like in the case of my Motion. First 8 month steady then it falters for three months, if carriers doing why the drastic change or was it a case where the manufacture failed to deliver? Hard to figure out at times as no one wants to commit in giving out info/keeping users informed, suppose that way there's no easy target for placing blame.

If things hold steadfast as in the past with my P20 Pro don't expect another update/patch now until sometime in March so we'll see.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Well another year and no Pie for me. It's now become irrelevant because as soon as I find a Note 9 in Blue available at my local Costco I'm moving on. Samsung may not be any better at updates than Huawei but I've always loved the Note line and just can't resist. Anybody interested in a like new P20 Pro when I get the Note 9? :)

Last edited:

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Well another year and on Pie for me. It's now become irrelevant because as soon as I find a Note 9 in Blue available at my local Costco I'm moving on. Samsung may not be any better at updates than Huawei but I've always loved the Note line and just can't resist. Anybody interested in a like new P20 Pro when I get the Note 9? :)

I assume you meant to say "no Pie for me"? Sorry to hear if that is the case, they've really taken "soon" to a new level with this rollout.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I assume you meant to say "no Pie for me"? Sorry to hear if that is the case, they've really taken "soon" to a new level with this rollout.

Dyslexia is a terrible disease, I wonder if I can get a handicapped parking sticker ;) Thanks for the update, I've fixed it.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i blame this one Rogers they're actually pretty slow and bad when it comes to updates not sure if I will ever go back to them after my contract ends sadly.

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Not sure it's Rogers as I'm on Rogers and I've had it for weeks.

TBH don't get too excited. EMUI 9 is worse than 8.1. The OS just doesn't run as smoothly and may experience some apps with broken features as they haven't been updated yet. See my post on the UK Pie thread. I'm contemplating rolling back to 8.1.