P20 Pro camera AI enhancements

Simon Beauchamp

Jan 13, 2019
Visit site
Hello

My P20 Pro finally received the Android Pie update the other day.

I'd like to know if the camera AI has been updated to the one found in the Mate 20 Pro. Is there any way of finding out?

Although I love the P20 camera, the AI can sometimes be a bit overbearing when saturating and sharpening photos. Apparently the Mate 20 has better AI to avoid that.

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Easy peasy, change the colour profile setting to standard if you don't like the saturation and pop.

Simon Beauchamp

Jan 13, 2019
Visit site
Easy peasy, change the colour profile setting to standard if you don't like the saturation and pop.

Mine is on standard already but the way the AI sharpens photos is very aggressive. I've read the AI on the Mate 20 Pro is less so because it runs EMUI 9. I was just wondering if the same is true of the P20 Pro running the same software.

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
The Master AI is independent of the OS version. The Mate 20 Pro has different software and alogrithms and access to different processing hardware. I believe on the Mate they call Master AI version 2 or something like that.

But if you don't like the saturation turn off Master AI completely as its purpose is to highlight a scene through more colour. If you like some color pop but less than Master AI, turn it off and set colour profile to smooth.

But to answer your question the P20 Pro cannot have the same AI as the Mate 20 Pro because of the hardware/cpu/gpu difference.

RiTCHiE007

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine is on standard already but the way the AI sharpens photos is very aggressive. I've read the AI on the Mate 20 Pro is less so because it runs EMUI 9. I was just wondering if the same is true of the P20 Pro running the same software.

When you take a photo in auto mode and when you see the little tag popping up in the screen, then thats the IA filter.... so when you quickly press the small X then the filter will go off.

The best trick i always use is to shoot in pro mode so that no AI kicks in and when you want the AI then just use auto mode.

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
I think the OP is wondering if there is a change in AI aggressiveness with 9.0, rather than just turning it off.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Mate 20 Pro had received multiple updates regarding the Master AI color science. Your phone probably haven't received that kind of update yet, hopefully after a couple more updates they'll change it to more natural looking pictures with Master AI

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If you shoot in Pro mode you get a raw file not JPEG like with other modes. This can be good if you have Photoshop a will fix the photo in Camera Raw, but if you don't want to fix or alter your files it can be a problem. Also no zoom in Pro mode.

nlm

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
If you shoot in Pro mode you get a raw file not JPEG like with other modes. This can be good if you have Photoshop a will fix the photo in Camera Raw, but if you don't want to fix or alter your files it can be a problem. Also no zoom in Pro mode.

All of the above is incorrect. You can shoot jpg in Pro mode. RAW is only available in Pro mode though. Settings>Resolution RAW option is greyed out in all settings except Pro. Zoom is available in Pro, in either pinch or the sliding scale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez