I can see elements behind the screen on Huawei P20 PRO

M M12

Oct 13, 2019
Visit site
When my screen goes white (e.g. loading a page), I can see a circle in the left bottom part of the screen. Also, another circle is visible right next to it. I believe that it's an element which is located behind the screen. Could somebody tell me what is this?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Linux graphical interfaces maintain "virtual screens" - each app has an area of RAM assigned as its "screen". When you switch apps, or load a new app, its virtual screen is sent to the physical screen. What you're seeing is an incomplete virtual screen as it's being drawn. That's normal at times in any multitasking computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure it isn't screen burn-in you're seeing? I realize it might be difficult to see, but can you take a picture of the screen with another device and post it here? (I'm assuming it doesn't show up in a screenshot.)

M M12

Oct 13, 2019
Visit site
Thank you very much for the answers.

I was not familiar with burn-in issues at all... After reading about it, I have realised that this is the problem. Namely, I use Waze a lot, and all the shadows I can see on the screen are exactly matching the icons in this application.

Is burn-in problem common in Huawei phones?

Thanks a lot

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is burn-in problem common in Huawei phones?

Burn in can happen with any phone using an AMOLED screen (in other words, all of the popular/flagship phones today). It happens because the pixels wear out over time and have reduced output. There are things you can do to help prevent or delay it. Use dark themes where possible, keep brightness on auto or at a lower level, and don't leave static images on the screen (which I know is impossible if you use a single app a lot).

You can get the screen replaced, but it'll likely happen again if you don't change your habits. You could also get a phone with an LCD screen, but no top end phone has them today. I still see some second/third tier phones with LCD's, but the last flagship that had one was the LG V20 released in 2016. Otherwise, I'd suggest a stand alone GPS unit if it's needed that badly.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have burn in on my phone from playing pokemon go to much. I have a constant pokeball circle at the bottom middle of my screen & a rectangle on the bottom right of my screen. Doesn't bug me to much as I knew it would happen also sometimes I can see the triangle, circle & square button at the bottom of my screen so even the navigation buttons are burning in.

spantch101

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Burn in can happen with any phone using an AMOLED screen (in other words, all of the popular/flagship phones today). It happens because the pixels wear out over time and have reduced output. There are things you can do to help prevent or delay it. Use dark themes where possible, keep brightness on auto or at a lower level, and don't leave static images on the screen (which I know is impossible if you use a single app a lot).

You can get the screen replaced, but it'll likely happen again if you don't change your habits. You could also get a phone with an LCD screen, but no top end phone has them today. I still see some second/third tier phones with LCD's, but the last flagship that had one was the LG V20 released in 2016. Otherwise, I'd suggest a stand alone GPS unit if it's needed that badly.

The LG G7 had a LCD panel . The HTC U12 + has a LCD i believe. I think most Sony phones have LCD. There are lots of good LCD screens out there. Just gotta look for em. The Nokia android one devices except for higher end ones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The LG G7 had a LCD panel . The HTC U12 + has a LCD i believe. I think most Sony phones have LCD. There are lots of good LCD screens out there. Just gotta look for em. The Nokia android one devices except for higher end ones.

The LG G7 isn't their flagship, the V-series is. The other phones aren't very popular. Heck, I have the Razer Phone 2 now with an LCD panel, which could be considered their flagship and has great hardware specs, but it's not really on anyone's radar and the UI is clunky and not very well integrated. So even that I wouldn't qualify as a true flagship of the likes of a Galaxy/Note, or V-series phone.