Soundgate M2 Phone Mount for Car

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Soundgate M2 to mount my Incredible on my Honda Civic Dash. I wanted something that would not require me taking off my VZW silicone case which I really like, but at the same time I did not want a bulky mount that clamps around the phone.

I found the M2 mentioned in another forum and ordered it from Amazon. Amazon's price is 5 Bucks cheaper than ordering it directlly from Soundgate and I got free shipping with Amazon Prime to boot.

Here are some pics of the phone mounted:

When looking at from the drivers seat it its appears to be "floating" in the air. I like the clean look.

4586442817_916b98a986_o.jpg

4586443061_b9b9d08bb7.jpg

4586443297_5289d54200.jpg

Somebody teach this guy about DOF!!

4586443647_0fc2804bb4.jpg

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Mount without phone attached.

4587068806_d730712a09_o.jpg

Mounting disk attached to case. Case is still pocketable with disk attached.

4586444693_0f1af45e99.jpg
4587069788_7f3f5a77b1_m.jpg

Will be anxious to see how durability is after a few weeks of mounting and unmounting... but I like it so far.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
How does the mount connect to your dash? "Sticky" mounts never work for me here in Phoenix as the sun bakes your dash during the summer.

It does use a sticky mount, however I always use sunshade in my windshield when my car is parked outside during the summer months

Time will tell... its not quite summer here in Michigan. :D

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
most attractive look I've ever seen on a car mount

That looks pretty hot, definitely see that floating appearance you mentioned. I'm not sure about having to stick something on the case though. I don't drive enough to make it worth it since the phone is 90% of the time in my pocket or hand.

Even still that's the best look to take advantage of the sweet turn by turn google maps.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
That looks pretty hot, definitely see that floating appearance you mentioned. I'm not sure about having to stick something on the case though. I don't drive enough to make it worth it since the phone is 90% of the time in my pocket or hand.

Even still that's the best look to take advantage of the sweet turn by turn google maps.

My phone feels or looks no different in my pocket with the thin... and I mean very thin... mounting disk on the back of my case.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
It does use a sticky mount, however I always use sunshade in my windshield when my car is parked outside during the summer months

I have a garage at home and covered parking at work, but when it's 115+ degrees your dash still bakes and the glue on the sticky mounts tends to start to melt. :(

P.S. Michigan? eeewww... I'm an OSU Alum. Go Buckeyes! :D

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... I'm liking the sound of it. I was just reading the reviews on Amazon. What sort of a case do you have on your phone that it's attached to. I was thinking about the $15 silicone case from Verizon. That way if it's annoying I could just pop the case on and off if I was going to be on the road. Yeah it would be an extra 20 seconds putting a case on just when I'm in a car and something would have to be stuck onto the dash but it appears like the best solution. Window mounts don't stay and I don't like blocking a vent. Overall looks like a $40 total solution. The professional mounts are just too expensive and putting my phone in a cup holder isn't cutting it.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a garage at home and covered parking at work, but when it's 115+ degrees your dash still bakes and the glue on the sticky mounts tends to start to melt. :(

P.S. Michigan? eeewww... I'm an OSU Alum. Go Buckeyes! :D

Thats hot!

You know why Michigan is in the shape of a hand?

To smack the sh.... out of Ohio! :D

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... I'm liking the sound of it. I was just reading the reviews on Amazon. What sort of a case do you have on your phone that it's attached to. I was thinking about the $15 silicone case from Verizon. That way if it's annoying I could just pop the case on and off if I was going to be on the road. Yeah it would be an extra 20 seconds putting a case on just when I'm in a car and something would have to be stuck onto the dash but it appears like the best solution. Window mounts don't stay and I don't like blocking a vent. Overall looks like a $40 total solution. The professional mounts are just too expensive and putting my phone in a cup holder isn't cutting it.

I have the disk mounted on the silicone case from Verizon (see pictures).

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah looks good... any pictures with the GPS on rather than the car home? Do you keep the phone verticle or do you rotate it sideways for GPS on the Incredible?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah looks good... any pictures with the GPS on rather than the car home? Do you keep the phone verticle or do you rotate it sideways for GPS on the Incredible?

I dont have a pic handy right now of the GPS.. but I did use it with the mount. I believe the Nav screen only works in portrait mode.

That's ok with me since I would rather have a "deeper" view of whats ahead of me than see more to the left or right of me when the screen is rotated into landscape mode. i.e. I could care less if 3rd street is 10 miles west of my present course, but I would like to see it as soon as I can if its my upcoming turn... which I believe portrait mode will do sooner than landscape.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
How sturdy is it when using the phone while mounted, does it rock back or wobble? or is it held pretty firmly in place. I wish they would just make a mount like for the droid. but I don't thing this phone has the magnetic sensors.

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
what does the droid mount look like? not coming from a droid so I haven't tried to come up with a car solution for a phone before.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
Well, I received the Soundgate M2 yesterday. The disk that attaches to the back of your phone / case is crap. Looks like I might have to try to superglue it to my case tonight.

The guess the M2 dock is "ok" I'm just spoiled by my Nexus One and iPhone/TomTom docks and they are SO much better.

Last edited:

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
what does the Nexsus One doc look like? Ideally I would want a doc that doesn't require anything to be added onto the phone and would already be set to charge the device without having to plug it in.

From what I've seen I like the appearance of this almost floating doc the best assuming it's stable.

Side note navigation does work in both horizontal and vertical modes and the voice search is amazing. I said "navigate to the american bar association building" popped right up as a choice. From my limited experience with the google navigation app it's better than my previous Lowrance and Garmin GPS devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87