car chargers and nav

jamesy

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
So I have a scosche usb car chager from back when I had an iphone. I've been using it with the sync cable that came with my incredible and Its been charging ok. Kinda similair to a usb trickle charge. Anyway I take a trip and use nav and play a little music and I'm blasting the ac so I'm sure the phone is not overheating as its sitting on my center console. The phone drains dead even while plugged in. I just ordered the incredible compatible car charger from Motorola on this site and have heard of some car chargers not having enough power does anyone use the Motorola chargers and nav android does that work? Anyone use scosche and nav and have probs?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I use the Verizon Car Mount/Dock and the Verizon car charger. I plug in several times a day and have no charge problems. In fact, plugging in only once or twice a day for only 10 -20 min while driving gives me enough juice to go 12+ hrs on the stock battery. (I am a zealot when it comes to turning on and off the GPS, WIFI, BT radios only when I need it.)

Hope this helps.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
So I have a scosche usb car chager from back when I had an iphone. I've been using it with the sync cable that came with my incredible and Its been charging ok. Kinda similair to a usb trickle charge.

The Incredible is seeing the USB charger as a USB host and limits the charge to 500 mAh (regardless of the chargers rated output), which is not enough to charge and run GPS and other apps at the same time. You need to either mod the charger, which involves taking it apart and soldering 2 pins together, or buy the highest rated (up to 1A) non USB car charger you can find. Sprint & Verizon's is 850 mAh and Seidio sells one that's a full 1A. I can't speak to the quality of either since I choose to do a USB mod instead. When it's plugged in and charging, you should be able to open the battery status screen in settings and see AC Charging vs USB Charging.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use the Verizon Car Mount/Dock and the Verizon car charger. I plug in several times a day and have no charge problems. In fact, plugging in only once or twice a day for only 10 -20 min while driving gives me enough juice to go 12+ hrs on the stock battery. (I am a zealot when it comes to turning on and off the GPS, WIFI, BT radios only when I need it.)

Hope this helps.

I can't even find this dock anymore... on their site.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible is seeing the USB charger as a USB host and limits the charge to 500 mAh (regardless of the chargers rated output), which is not enough to charge and run GPS and other apps at the same time. You need to either mod the charger, which involves taking it apart and soldering 2 pins together, or buy the highest rated (up to 1A) non USB car charger you can find. Sprint & Verizon's is 850 mAh and Seidio sells one that's a full 1A. I can't speak to the quality of either since I choose to do a USB mod instead. When it's plugged in and charging, you should be able to open the battery status screen in settings and see AC Charging vs USB Charging.

that's interesting. i use a USB car charger in my car and it works great. i can run the nav with screen on, stream slacker radio, and still charge it up at the same time. i guess the $2 USB charger i bought off ebay already is setup to give a full charge. i am almost certain when i charge it like that it doesn't pick it up as USB charging, but i will check today. i have been recommending to all my friends to do the same setup, but i guess there is a chance it might not work for them.
is it easy to take apart and solder it? any instructions on the web?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I used this person's post as a guideline on how to do it. I was successful at the solder job, not so much in prying it apart and re-glueing it when I was finished. I might try this procedure again, on a charger that comes apart by unscrewing the a fastener at the tip of the charger, or just buy a non USB car charger. I would be surprised if your phone is showing AC Charging with the charger you described. If it is, it should me maxing out at 500mAh per the standard for USB hosts.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a ebay charger that plugs into a electrical socket for my truck. I have it plugged into an AC/DC converter which is plugged into my cigarette socket. It charges the phone nicely, but when plugged in, it freezes the screen to where I can use anything. I can still receive texts, emails, and calls but the screen won't let me open or answer anything. I use it for charging emergencies since it renders my phone useless when plugged in.

Any thoughts to why the screen freezes?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I had that happen with the USB output of a dual purpose Amzen battery only charger I bought from Fommy. The output amperage for the USB port said 350mAh. Needless to say, I never plugged my phone into it again and threw the thing away. If you're screen is freezing, I don't think you should continue to use that method personally.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I had that happen with the USB output of a dual purpose Amzen battery only charger I bought from Fommy. The output amperage for the USB port said 350mAh. Needless to say, I never plugged my phone into it again and threw the thing away. If you're screen is freezing, I don't think you should continue to use that method personally.

Will do... I will take your advice! I use my blackberry charger at home so i guess i can swap my truck charger for the one HTC provided with the phone. Just don't like how short it is.

Thanks Cory!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You won't get a "stronger" charge but you will get a faster charge which will result in the GPS usage not out pacing the charger. Hence the reason some charger while using GPS won't keep the phone charged.

.5-1amp is the norm for USB charging solutions. (4.25-5 volts)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hey cory, this is the one i bought a while ago. says "Output: DC5V 1000mA." so you think this is why i am getting a stronger charge?

Car Charger 4 mp3 mp4 mobile phone USB 1000mah - eBay (item 160444466169 end time Jul-12-10 09:26:32 PDT)

I'd bet money that the Incredible is only drawing 500mAh from that charger. Plug your phone into it and go to settings > about > battery. If it says Charging (USB) then I'm right. If it says Charging (AC Adaptor), then I'm wrong.

john7760

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Radioshack has a car charger that is a 1.2 Amp charger with an extra usb connect for BT or whatever that works great fro nav. Keeps up like a champ

aplittle

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I got a car charger I picked up from Walmart a while back. I used my phone to navigate a 3 hour trip yesterday and when I unplugged it the battery was at full charge and lasted the rest of the day. Not sure what brand the charger is but it was about 14 bucks.

Aaron

IncrediBill

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I used this person's post as a guideline on how to do it. I was successful at the solder job, not so much in prying it apart and re-glueing it when I was finished. I might try this procedure again, on a charger that comes apart by unscrewing the a fastener at the tip of the charger, or just buy a non USB car charger. I would be surprised if your phone is showing AC Charging with the charger you described. If it is, it should me maxing out at 500mAh per the standard for USB hosts.

I wonder if that trick would work with other USB 12v adapters? I picked up a dual USB 12v from Amzer to use for the DI and my GPS as it was rated at 2 amps total. I checked the charging status on the DI today after reading this thread and it says "charging USB". When I plug my GPS in it goes into computer connected mode as if I were doing a data update and won't function as a GPS.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There were other threads on XDA saying that all USB chargers had 2 data pins that you could solder together to fix this, but the one I bought was the only one that had pictures showing where exactly those data pins were. Is yours easy to take apart or is it glued together like mine was?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty