How To: Flash a ROM

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah no doubt I tested a lot of the ROMs in the first days they were available. And lets just put it this way, as good as the devs are some of them were pretty crappy when they were first released so I used my backup A LOT. Now they are all pretty stable but still eck on some of them.

Some of them say compatible with the Incredible, but they aren't optimized ;)

Although the Cyanogen 6 Incredible version is great on the battery.

Either way, nandroid=awesome

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
and what are the advantages of Vanilla 2.1 over sense 2.1 in your opinions?

Not sure if you're asking me directly, but I'll take a shot at it as well:

I honestly can't decide which I like better. It seems to me that Sense tries to help you; like HTC is trying to fill in some gaps Google left. That's fine; Sense is a beautiful interface. I love it.

It seems to me that Vanilla is the clean cut, smooth, and fast version. It seems like Google wanted the 'Get out of my way and let me do it' idea to come across. And it does; but that's isn't to say it's bad. I love it.

Their equal; I can live and love both. My advice would be to try both out; you can use the ozzeh ROM (here) which is vanilla 2.1. Compare it to what you have under 2.1 with Sense to make the decision.

It's all about choice.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
i just installed vanilla 2.1?now i jsut have to do the annoying part in bringing all my apps back

Next time either install and use Titanium backup or appbrain so that you don't have to remember what apps you had etc. Titanium will actually bring back your data for those apps too in case it didn't save to the SD.

jared916

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Next time either install and use Titanium backup or appbrain so that you don't have to remember what apps you had etc. Titanium will actually bring back your data for those apps too in case it didn't save to the SD.

i used app brain but i still have to move everything around. i honestly think im going back to stock. vanilla doesnt add anything for me and sense just makes things easier imo

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I used appbrain after installing cynogen , but it only installed a few apps before clearing the list I had originally. Ended up losing the app list I had. I then tried titanium backup and it just got stuck searching for apps. So, not sure these methods work well for every mod.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I used appbrain after installing cynogen , but it only installed a few apps before clearing the list I had originally. Ended up losing the app list I had. I then tried titanium backup and it just got stuck searching for apps. So, not sure these methods work well for every mod.

It's because appbrain makes another list. You need to merger your lists on the site. It sucks but it's because it thinks it's another phone.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's because appbrain makes another list. You need to merger your lists on the site. It sucks but it's because it thinks it's another phone.

Ahh, ok. Now I get it. Definitely worth a shot considering the trouble I've had with titanium backup.

omgbeav

May 6, 2010
www.beavsgraphics.com

Depending on which version of Cyanogen you're using, it will automatically import your apps.

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
will flashing a rom remove my home screen(s) icons? wallpaper/ ring settings, etc? will the app my backup pro help save some of these things?

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
having issues. Downloaded rom manager,I flash the current clockwork mod recovery. I go to back up current rom, when it reboots and I open rom manager again it says recovery failure with options to click on to say recovery mode is broken; rom manager doesn't reboot; or other.

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
got it done, did it the manual way no through the app. Flashed vanilla jager rom, not sure if I like it though. It doesn't seem to let me sync my facebook contacts.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you have issues getting a ROM to work through ROM manager you may want to make sure you have the right clockwork installed in the ROM manager and there aren't any updates available. Another thing to make sure is take your time and make sure you check "clear data/cache" and "download google apps" for Cyanogen.

I'm guilty about buying the app to support the Dev but I mainly just manually install all the roms straight from clockwork recovery because....well I have a control complex ;) I like to know the phone is taking the right steps even though I know ROM manager is more than capable. It just depends on what I'm doing.

So bottom line take your time and READ READ READ the threads on your ROM. I know they are long threads but you need to get caught up on whats changes, what issues there are, and what work arounds or fixes there are and what they do. Read the ENTIRE thread at least once then you can skip to the last page or two. For instance pmf has rolled his 1.2 version back to 1.1 with a policyupdate.zip because of an issue he had. etc etc.

Good luck guys and have fun!

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Yea, with Unrevoked 3.2.1 out and more people rooting their phones, ROM's are the next logical choice to try out. There are a lot of threads sort of discussing the process of flashing ROM's, but I do think this particular one needs to be stickied.

Plus, if Qazme needs to update the instructions based on new versions of ROM Manager or clockwork, then they can be found in one easy spot.

Nice tutorial BTW Qazme.