My Rooting Example, Results, and Seeking Help

Migizi

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a DInc on VZW, running on a Seidio 1750 battery. I'm a minimal phone user, somewhat heavy email user, and virtually a non-user of social networking, games, etc. Some occasional web use. I keep bluetooth and GPS off.

My DInc was getting to about 11am or noon most work days before running out of battery power (my day starts at 5am for the phone), which was just plain ridiculous. Lasts most of the day on NON-work days. I used a charger at work to make it through the day. Tried Task Killers, didn't help. My battery tracking shows that the biggest consumer of power, always and by far, is Cell Standby, usually about 40%. Next highest is phone idle, usually around 30%, then Android System around 12%.

So I rooted (used the jonamerica.com page as a guide), with unrEVOked. Added Titanium backup, added wireless tether. Removed ATK and a whole bunch of bloatware. Flashed a hydra under-volt kernel. Between those things, I was hoping for big battery help.

It did help - Made it to about 2:00 before it hit the yellow, I could probably make it to 3pm if necessary. But still doesn't get me the whole day.

I am 90% sure I know the main culprit here. My office is in a location where, at least at my desk and rooms I tend to be in, gets poor cell reception. This would explain the high number for Cell Standby as a percentage of battery drain. After rooting, my percentage of battery use went down for Android system (its 7% now), but up for Cell Standby to a whopping 52%. This is probably the main source of my problem.

Previously, I had a Blackberry Curve, on same network (VZW). Obviously its a very different phone, but the commonality is that its the same network, in the same physical location. That phone made it through 2 days without recharging. Now, even if BB had a tiny fraction of battery energy cost for all other than cell standy, if the Droid is using 52% on this and gets to 2pm, its still vastly less efficient in this area.

So here is the question for anyone here that can help. What things can a DInc user, rooted, do to help the Cell Standy usage? Do I need a new physical antenna, or new antenna software/drivers? Will a new ROM help? Some other trick?

Any advice is appreciated. I want to like this phone, I mostly do, but I am tired of having a phone that can't make it through a single work day.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you as far as battery life. I work at a power generation facility and the EMF/interference gives me a constant -95dB signal. I just plug it in whenever i get a chance and i have a 2150mah extended battery as well.

Here are some things that might help:
1.) Bigger extended battery (not trying to be a smartass either ;))
2.) Clear your battery stats via Clockwork and start fresh
3.) Adjust SetCpu profiles
4.) What radio baseband are you on?
Those are just some off the top of my head. Blackberry's are great on battery life do to their hardware. The thing with the Incredible is that it is a powerful device so obviously uses more battery....but I'm with you...shouldn't be as bad as it is out of the box.

doc 7

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the both of you and your assessment I too have the same battery issues and poor signal or bars of service if you prefer .I believe it is the network and not the device as several people I'm well acquainted with who use a variation of the iPhone and they have no where near the poor reception issues that are routinely reported in these forums ...now the question in my mind is if and when VZW gets the iPhone what's gonna be different same poor reception on lte? All I can say is boo VZW that's my err....rant um thoughts LOL

Migizi

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you as far as battery life. I work at a power generation facility and the EMF/interference gives me a constant -95dB signal. I just plug it in whenever i get a chance and i have a 2150mah extended battery as well.

Here are some things that might help:
1.) Bigger extended battery (not trying to be a smartass either ;))
2.) Clear your battery stats via Clockwork and start fresh
3.) Adjust SetCpu profiles
4.) What radio baseband are you on?
Those are just some off the top of my head. Blackberry's are great on battery life do to their hardware. The thing with the Incredible is that it is a powerful device so obviously uses more battery....but I'm with you...shouldn't be as bad as it is out of the box.

Thanks for the response. Forgive my newbie-ness, but, how do you go about doing #3? Sounds like you are saying I can set profiles for different scenarios to over or under clock the processor, or over/under volt it or something. That seems like it could be very handy.

#1 I really don't want the giant phone and case, #2 I'll give it a shot. #4, I don't understand the question.