Cyanogen Not for me Going back to Virtuous.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
So I just wrapped up my 2 week foray in to CM 6.1. I heard there wasn't going to be anymore enhancements to virtuous so I decided to try a different ROM. CM 6 seemed like a good direction since skyraider was also going the "no more development" route.

Install was smooth enough, got everything working, but couldn't find visual voice mail. After some research I found a mod to be able to download Verizon's VVM and was good to go.

The lack of a working TV-out was disappointing. I have the cable and the movies, but couldn't find anyway to get it working.

The look of CM was impressive. Widgets, notification, etc. All top knotch. I also like the way it was able to show a "combined" inbox for all of my various email addresses.

I could not get Wifi to work correctly no matter what i did.

So at the end of the 2 weeks, I think I'm going back to Virtuous. The Pro's, (in my case) did not outweigh the Con's. Nice experience.

crondable

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Seems odd you would choose CM6.1, which has also been out of development for quite a while. CM7 has shown better performance and stability then CM6.x ever did.

Unfortunately TV-Out doesn't work on any AOSP ROM, so if that is an important feature to you, I would recommend sticking with a Sense-based ROM. Incredibly Re-engineered would be the way to go in my opinion.

Reactions: beef5stew

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you on that. Tried CM7 for a while and though it wasn't a full 1 week test drive I had some other problems with my computer not finding the SD card and I also didn't like losing 2 screens. I'm pretty sure there were only 5 rather than 7. I also missed the HTC weather and clock widget of all things. Downloaded the LG optimus weather widget but then there were workarounds for it not keeping up to date on the weather and location and it occurred to me that i was working around a workaround in and of itself. At that point i just said why bother, i enjoy Virtuous, Sense and the themes that go with it so it was back to my Nandroid restore for me.

I did like the Gingerbread keyboard so i re-installed that. Guess I'll have to wait for a ROM with G-bread and Sense together.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on Incredible re-engineered. I might have to take a look at that one. I have a 3 year old who's hooked on yo gabba gabba. so I'd rather NOT give him my phone, but I have a cheap 7" lcd that I just connect via the TV-out. So yeah, that one is important to me.

I chose CM 6.1 because of the word *Stable*. Since I'm experimenting with new roms, I'm not at the experience level to do de-bugging, I didn't want to utilize an RC yet.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The release candidate is very stable. You won't have to be debugging, it's just not the final product yet.

You can try Incredibly re-engineered, although I had some major stability issues with it (one morning it went into a reboot loop when I was trying to call a cab to catch a flight - luckily I had a nandroid handy). I realized that I forgot to wipe dalvik, though, so maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought warm z was really cool, i'm just not really that into sense. but, it seemed stable enough to use every day, and it was nice to get a look at sense 2.0 features on the inc.

I'm really liking cm7 currently, tho i dont have much input on 6.1, since i only loaded it up for about a day and switched back to athena 1.2, which was my regular rom before the nightlies.