Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: sweetmonster457

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
sorry bout that, i didnt realize it was optimus black. just considering though, LG has 3 cool phones: opt 2x, black, and revolution. i doubt 2 will go to a single carrier, so it looks like 1 of the big 4 will be left out. hopefully not Sprint. Let AT&T get left out.

gruvmyster01

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint 4G Fee

Been with T-Mobile for a little over one year and I couldn't be happier. Have the N1 and MyTouch 4G and live in a very hot HSPA+ area with sick speed. Saying that it is very obvious I want this new LG device on T-Mobile. Combine the speed of their network and the price of their plans to me there is no better network. Let's not forget all other carriers will be charging more $$$ for their 4G service. NOT T-Mobile.

Yeah but I'd rather pay $10 bucks for my 4G and have unlimited 4G data than have my bandwidth capped/throttled down after around 1Gig of data like T-Mobile does. What's the point in having 4G when after a certain point your speed drops to like 50kbps??? And HSPA+ is hardly 4G. When it comes to plans Sprint is 2nd to none, and their 3G and 4G network (when it's all said and done) will smoke T-Mobile's. The only other true 4G tech out there is LTE.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but I'd rather pay $10 bucks for my 4G and have unlimited 4G data than have my bandwidth capped/throttled down after around 1Gig of data like T-Mobile does. What's the point in having 4G when after a certain point your speed drops to like 50kbps??? And HSPA+ is hardly 4G. When it comes to plans Sprint is 2nd to none, and their 3G and 4G network (when it's all said and done) will smoke T-Mobile's. The only other true 4G tech out there is LTE.

Ok, but you DON'T HAVE A 4G PHONE. You have a Hero. If that's wrong please fix it.

I went over 1gb of data last month and didn't get throttled. It only happens at 5gb. I agree about your assessment of what is and what isn't 4G, but keep in mind that according to technical definition WIMAX and LTE aren't either (this is according to the official 3GPP definition of what 4G is).

If you're just talking about speed (which is what the carriers seem to be using to determine what they will call 4G) then all the carriers have it. I've seen 8mbps down/1.2mbps up on HSPA+. When I had my EVO the fastest I saw (in the same area of Chicago, one of the better WIMAX networks) was 6mbps down/1mbps up.

So all other things being equal if speed is what matters who cares what they call it?

Oh and my monthly bill is cheaper now than it was with Sprint. 2 MT4G's vs 2 EVO's (not in a WIMAX area). I don't go over 5gb. I'm on wifi most of the time.

gruvmyster01

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, but you DON'T HAVE A 4G PHONE. You have a Hero. If that's wrong please fix it.

I went over 1gb of data last month and didn't get throttled. It only happens at 5gb. I agree about your assessment of what is and what isn't 4G, but keep in mind that according to technical definition WIMAX and LTE aren't either (this is according to the official 3GPP definition of what 4G is).

If you're just talking about speed (which is what the carriers seem to be using to determine what they will call 4G) then all the carriers have it. I've seen 8mbps down/1.2mbps up on HSPA+. When I had my EVO the fastest I saw (in the same area of Chicago, one of the better WIMAX networks) was 6mbps down/1mbps up.

So all other things being equal if speed is what matters who cares what they call it?

Oh and my monthly bill is cheaper now than it was with Sprint. 2 MT4G's vs 2 EVO's (not in a WIMAX area). I don't go over 5gb. I'm on wifi most of the time.

Wow I had no idea T-Mobile was capable of speeds like that. And yeah I was pretty much basing my assertions on speed. That being said, the terms we use are all relative...you're right.

As for the price you pay that's unusual. I have 3 lines (Evo, Hero, LG Rumor) and the plan is $129.99 ($139.99 w/ 4G data fee) for all 3 lines, 1500 minutes, unlimited data & text etc and w/ any mobile anytime and 7pm nights and weekend standard, I only use around 50 to 100 minutes each month between all 3 phones and we actually use well over 2500 minutes. 3rd line was free as well based on my being with Sprint for over 8 yrs now(granted it's normally an additional 19.99). A comparable family plan on t-mobile is $164.99 and that's with only 9pm night and weekends standard.

And a friend of mine uses his My Touch 4G to tether and he uses up his 5GB data allowance in the first few days of the month. (He uses that in lieu of home internet). I have done that as well and I can use as much as 4 to 5 Gigs in a single day and my speed stays up around 5mpbs down and 1 to 1.5mbps up.

Last edited:

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I like that you get FREE 4G on T-Mobile or they just don't charge you extra for it. Or at least that is what I heard. I can't wait for the 4G Nexus! Hope it is still on T-Mobile which I have no doubt it will be on them or AT&T.

gruvmyster01

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sadly Not Sprint

so black is T-mobile, Rev is verizon, 2X... sprint?

Yeah I wish it was getting picked up by Sprint, but sadly that looks to not be the case. The frequencies are all GSM (International). See the links below. But take heart, and though this is pure speculation, the 1 year anniversary of Sprint's debut of the HTC Evo 4G at CTIA is almost here and with all the Dual-Core Snapdragon processor chipsets that Qualcomm has been shipping I smell an HTC Evo 4G 2 in the works.

Understanding Cellular Technology and Bands | PhoneDog

http://forum.androidcentral.com/att...at-carrier-lg-optimus-2x-lg-product_guide.jpg

Last edited:

Bills_Evo4G

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yup, then that's Sprint's loss. Their executive team need to get it together.

Unfortunately the city I live in near Silicon Valley has put a moratorium in place preventing T-Mo and others building new cell towers in the area. I live in an area where 4G with Sprint is no problem, AT&T and T-Mo service is horrid here no 4G service here at all. And this is Silicon Valley! I'm not hopping on the T-Mo train just yet... But if they get the LG Optimus 2X sooner than Sprint, well Sprint lost a customer then... too bad for them. I love my Evo but the LG 2X with Dual Core is insane.

byroll01

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Bump for an old thread. Looks like the Optimus 2x is going to Straight Talk. Both of the android phones they have now run on the Sprint towers (which suck at my house) but their Nokia smart phone I currently use runs 3g off AT&T.

Since this phone is talking about 4g I can only assume it will run off Sprint like the other Android phones.

opinions?

Straighttalk Android