Greetings from a soon-to-be former Nokia user

offseid

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Man, in this day and age it's hard enough to figure out which Android phone is the best one. I also had to browse around to guess at which Android forum was the best one! Hope I guessed right! :)

Hi all, Eric here. Been a Nokia user ever since I got my first cellphone some 9 years ago. Now my 5800 XpressMusic is dying and I'm looking forward to getting an Android phone!

Finding the phone comparisons a bit hard to navigate, partly because most of them list the pricing that is associated with the U.S. carrier's plan; I'm in Malaysia and will be just buying the phone. No plan. Also, not really sure what the differences are between the versions. Is Froyo still good enough for most people? What about Eclair? Looking to get the most bang for my 300-400 bucks.

Anyway, I'll go browsing the forums now but wanted to say hey. Hey!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

At this point you will want to look for either Froyo or Gingerbread on your device. Also when you have your choice narrowed down, you can check to see if it is rootable in the forums. If it is, then you can upgrade OS's at your leisure.

I used Nokia for years and I love the switch to Android. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask in the forums.

Have fun

Reactions: offseid

offseid

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks, appreciate the advice! Right now I'm leaning towards the HTC Wildfire S. I know it has a slower processor but a) I like what I see of Sense, b) I don't multitask or do gaming much, and c) the Wildfire does come with Gingerbread (and Sense 3.0 I think).

Not sure about rootability but will check on that. Thanks again!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
No problem, happy to help. If you have the opportunity to play with live demo's before buying, the best advice is to try as many as you can. The different skins definitely give each phone it's own feel. Some will work for you and others will not. It's hard to tell until you actually use it for a while. For what it's worth - I do like Sense as well.