New tablet, new OS

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As a user of a mobile device, I've used the original Palm, Blackberry, briefly Linux (via the 7" Asus EeePC) and, most recently, Apple.
Recently, I was using a 10" iPad 2. Now this I purchased while a PC user and having an iPhone, where the larger screen and familiar OS seemed like a logical fit as a daily mobile device.
But this past summer I wanted to upgrade my XP PC and, having tried Win8 and realizing it's not for me, I moved to a Mac Air 11" as my 'home, work and away' computer. With its weight and footprint, the Air (and its full OS) essentially made the iPad's value moot in many regards, but I still saw the value of something instantly portable - and smaller. With the interconnectivity of the Apple 'environment', I naturally looked at the iPad Mini - but I was unimpressed by its design (awkwardly wide and larger than a handful) and its price (the Apple Tax).
So I started looking at Android devices. I had been watching the OS's progress (and reviews) in a casual sort of way, but wasn't convinced by its 'blown up phone OS' on earlier versions. Clearly, that's mostly changed with the current OS and the products capable of using it. I checked Google Play to see how painless the migration would be (most of my favourite apps were there) and how easy it would be to sync my various needs (Mac, Yahoo and, yes, Google) - and made the rounds of the 7" devices and the companies' various flavours of personalized Android. Procrastination took its toll, but just last week, I finally took the leap - a wi-fi Nexus 7 32GB.
I've loaded up on the apps I know - pine for a couple who haven't made the leap yet - sync'd my various needs and I'm enjoying this paperbook-sized device. I have high hopes. And I look forward to be enlightened on this Forum, too!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC. Glad to have you on with the Android family and what an awesome device to do it with!

Enjoy the forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As a user of a mobile device, I've used the original Palm, Blackberry, briefly Linux (via the 7" Asus EeePC) and, most recently, Apple.
Recently, I was using a 10" iPad 2. Now this I purchased while a PC user and having an iPhone, where the larger screen and familiar OS seemed like a logical fit as a daily mobile device.
But this past summer I wanted to upgrade my XP PC and, having tried Win8 and realizing it's not for me, I moved to a Mac Air 11" as my 'home, work and away' computer. With its weight and footprint, the Air (and its full OS) essentially made the iPad's value moot in many regards, but I still saw the value of something instantly portable - and smaller. With the interconnectivity of the Apple 'environment', I naturally looked at the iPad Mini - but I was unimpressed by its design (awkwardly wide and larger than a handful) and its price (the Apple Tax).
So I started looking at Android devices. I had been watching the OS's progress (and reviews) in a casual sort of way, but wasn't convinced by its 'blown up phone OS' on earlier versions. Clearly, that's mostly changed with the current OS and the products capable of using it. I checked Google Play to see how painless the migration would be (most of my favourite apps were there) and how easy it would be to sync my various needs (Mac, Yahoo and, yes, Google) - and made the rounds of the 7" devices and the companies' various flavours of personalized Android. Procrastination took its toll, but just last week, I finally took the leap - a wi-fi Nexus 7 32GB.
I've loaded up on the apps I know - pine for a couple who haven't made the leap yet - sync'd my various needs and I'm enjoying this paperbook-sized device. I have high hopes. And I look forward to be enlightened on this Forum, too!

Welcome to Android and the forums. I have looked at the Nexus devices myself and love how smooth they are. You are experiencing Android in it's purest form, no bloat garbage, no OEM extra baggage. If in the future decide to get an Android phone, you may find it difficult to look at a carrier branded device like the Galaxy S3. After unboxing mine, I spent about ten minutes going through and disabling all the bloat that I could.

Anywho...enjoy your device. Any questions just ask. We are all here to help.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Meyerweb to check out the link he posted for you. I came over here for a long history of IOS devices and I am not going to lie, I still use them. I am finding out alot of benefits to Android and Welcome you to our Forums. I would most likey always keep my newest IOS devices for various personal reasons but also expect to jump on the Samsung GS4 or HTC One bandwagon as another phone and do enhance my knowledge of being a volunteer here so if I can help you with the transition please feel free to ask any of us. Again Welcome!

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful suggestions!

Golfdriver97 - I'm about a year away on my current contract before considering a new phone (a reasonably trusty iPhone 4 till then), though I have to agree about the bloat thing. I have checked out the phones - even briefly considered holding out and doing a Galaxy Note 2 migration instead of the Nexus - but its the individual manufacturers' interpretations and additions to the OS I wasn't keen on. That is one thing that eventually made the Samsung Tab 2 a non-starter for me, too. I prefer to be responsible for my own bloat! ;)

And meyerweb, I will indeed take a look at that link. But I've not (yet) been challenged by the use or manipulation of the device, so I live in hope. But then, that may be because I have experience with a selection of mobile OS's - and not just the locked down iOS. I've managed to download and install apps (including 'Smoothsync for Cloud Calendar') and copied files from my Mac to new folders on the 7, so I feel I've got a hang of the big stuff - and the device feels like 'mine' and familiar now.

Some stuff I still want to know / or will discover I want to know (thanks Forums) and, like I said, still some apps I pine for and/or have found no equivalent for Android-wise, but all in good time, I suspect.