Will Android/Phone combo do what I NEED it to do?

Brad_Man

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all:

I have never had a smartphone.

The only reason I am considering one is to have one relatively small package that will provide Voice Navigation (OFFLINE) while listening to music, and have a camera and phone for motorcycle trips.

As I said I would be listening to music, but would want the voice directions like "Turn left in 500 yards onto Elm Street" to either mute the music/phone while the directions are being given.

Can this be accomplished

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep. There's a multitude of navigation apps available. Google Maps/Nav (which comes with the phone) has an offline mode as well (I think it's a bit limited), but if you're want it all offline, you'll probably want to invest in a truly offline app.

As far as I know they all mute the music, but admittedly I've only used maybe a half dozen navigation apps (currently using either Google Nav or Waze, depedning on where I'm driving)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've never tried myself to see if music mutes when nav speaks. A web search comes up with various forum threads about this, but they're all relatively old (the most recent was from 2012). Remember that most wireless providers give you something like a 14 day grace period where you can try a phone out--if you don't like it, return it with no questions asked.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all:

I have never had a smartphone.

The only reason I am considering one is to have one relatively small package that will provide Voice Navigation (OFFLINE) while listening to music, and have a camera and phone for motorcycle trips.

As I said I would be listening to music, but would want the voice directions like "Turn left in 500 yards onto Elm Street" to either mute the music/phone while the directions are being given.

Can this be accomplished

I think most apps like that should must music. A good way to test it is use it on a trip to work. You already know the way, you are just seeing if the nav app does too and kills the music to tell you.

Google maps and Waze are both popular navigation apps. Tomtom has one too but very big, very expensive ($70 for the app and $20 per month), but well liked.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Let us know if you decide on getting an Android device as your first smart phone. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty