Anyone else sick of the iPhone?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Nexus One Slows And Woes | Android Phone Fans

It's first week sales for all devices. Where are you getting the 3 days for the 3gs from? 1.6 million for a 3rd generation device that's available worldwide isn't that great. Also the next gen iPhone won't be revolutionary in the least and the competition will have their phones ready. Things have changed. Watch those numbers drop.

New tech always come out, way things work. Apple will be just fine without your sale trust me. Show me another device with those numbers please?

And welcome back by the way. Only time I see you is when you want to talk iPhone... ;)

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Nexus One Slows And Woes | Android Phone Fans

It's first week sales for all devices. Where are you getting the 3 days for the 3gs from? 1.6 million for a 3rd generation device that's available worldwide isn't that great. Also the next gen iPhone won't be revolutionary in the least and the competition will have their phones ready. Things have changed. Watch those numbers drop.

Uhh....dude

3rd gen, 2nd gen, 1st gen, it doesn't matter. It is what it is, and right now Android is just small peanuts next to iPhone. Go to any developer right now for the mobile space and on their priority list iPhone is at the top. Then Blackberry (tho it's going down) and THEN maybe Android. Some even still prefer Winmo over Android.

You can talk momentum and mindshare and stuff, but when you talk sales, iPhone is a beast, and Droid is small potatoes. You can't get around the sticking point.

What you're saying is something tantamount to "Wow, look at what a great batter that player was" when in truth, most people might go "Yeah, for first timer..." nobody gives a crap about how it *MIGHT* go. In truth when you see potential in something it could fail just as likely as it is to succeed. Speculation is something productive you do when you make an investment, not talking crap.

dman91

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
For anyone who wants an unbiased, fair comparison of the N1 and iPhone 3GS...
YouTube - Google Nexus One Vs. iPhone 3GS

I have to admit, the iPhone really impresses me. I had an iPhone 3G for a month and it was the best phone I've ever had. I just couldn't get an interest in AT&T so I returned it. It's hard to believe they've been rated the worst carrier of 2009.:eek:

However, after doing a lot of research about the N1, I like it better than the iPhone. Just about everything about the N1 seems like an update from the iPhone 3GS. It's faster, has more RAM, and has better hardware. I could go on and on...

I currently have an iPod Touch which works great for web browsing, music, and YouTube. As cool as the App Store is, I've only downloaded one app (Pandora). Most of the apps seem useless or crappy.

Concerning sales, the main reason I think the iPhone will continue to excel in sales is because of Apple's marketing and it's ease of use. I've seen preteens and even senior citizens with iPhones. I'm not sure if I'd see any of those age groups with Android devices. Also, just because the iPhone sells better than the N1 or Droid doesn't make it a better device. In fact, they are better devices IMO...Well...at least the N1...:D

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Uhh....dude

3rd gen, 2nd gen, 1st gen, it doesn't matter. It is what it is, and right now Android is just small peanuts next to iPhone. Go to any developer right now for the mobile space and on their priority list iPhone is at the top. Then Blackberry (tho it's going down) and THEN maybe Android. Some even still prefer Winmo over Android.

You can talk momentum and mindshare and stuff, but when you talk sales, iPhone is a beast, and Droid is small potatoes. You can't get around the sticking point.

What you're saying is something tantamount to "Wow, look at what a great batter that player was" when in truth, most people might go "Yeah, for first timer..." nobody gives a crap about how it *MIGHT* go. In truth when you see potential in something it could fail just as likely as it is to succeed. Speculation is something productive you do when you make an investment, not talking crap.

Not sure what your point is. I never said the Droid's sales were on par with the iPhone. It can't be, it's too new and there's competition with other Android devices. However the iPhone will eventually see erosion in sales with time because of the competition.

And Android's increasing momentum is not speculation. The success of the Droid is undeniable and it has helped to propel Android into the mainstream.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
U
New tech always come out, way things work. Apple will be just fine without your sale trust me. Show me another device with those numbers please?

I don't judge superiority on just numbers and the iPhone is just one phone. Blackberry still outsells Apple though. The Apple diehards will buy Apple no matter what. Android will attract the ones who aren't under Steve Job's spell.
And welcome back by the way. Only time I see you is when you want to talk iPhone... ;)

Thanks I lurk here all the time. I may disagree with you on many things but the site's great for news.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site

I don't judge superiority on just numbers. The Apple diehards will buy Apple no matter what. Android will attract the ones who aren't under Steve Job's spell.

Thanks I lurk here all the time. I may disagree with you on many things but the site's great for news.

And to disagree is completely cool. What forums are for. :) And I am not under any spell. I just like great pieces of technology.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what your point is. I never said the Droid's sales were on par with the iPhone. It can't be, it's too new and there's competition with other Android devices. However the iPhone will eventually see erosion in sales with time because of the competition.

And Android's increasing momentum is not speculation. The success of the Droid is undeniable and it has helped to propel Android into the mainstream.

Android isn't mainstream. Droid is. Everyone knows what an iPhone is, and only a few people know what makes the Droid work. They've all heard of Droid, but not because of its greatness. They heard about it because of hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
For anyone who wants an unbiased, fair comparison of the N1 and iPhone 3GS...
YouTube - Google Nexus One Vs. iPhone 3GS

I have to admit, the iPhone really impresses me. I had an iPhone 3G for a month and it was the best phone I've ever had. I just couldn't get an interest in AT&T so I returned it. It's hard to believe they've been rated the worst carrier of 2009.:eek:

However, after doing a lot of research about the N1, I like it better than the iPhone. Just about everything about the N1 seems like an update from the iPhone 3GS. It's faster, has more RAM, and has better hardware. I could go on and on...

I currently have an iPod Touch which works great for web browsing, music, and YouTube. As cool as the App Store is, I've only downloaded one app (Pandora). Most of the apps seem useless or crappy.

Concerning sales, the main reason I think the iPhone will continue to excel in sales is because of Apple's marketing and it's ease of use. I've seen preteens and even senior citizens with iPhones. I'm not sure if I'd see any of those age groups with Android devices. Also, just because the iPhone sells better than the N1 or Droid doesn't make it a better device. In fact, they are better devices IMO...Well...at least the N1...:D

Of course the N1 has better hardware, the iPhone 3GS was released 7 months ago.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
I think with the iPhone 4G coming out in May this year we might see them raise the bar once more. No matter, we can raise it again in turn. HTC are bound to be about to release a device within the next few months that can give the iPhone 4G a run for its money...

The thing is that there's no ultimate superphone platform in existnece - if there was all superphones would be using it, wouldn't they?

So iPhone will raise the bar again with the 4G and then HTC or Motorola will raise it again with another phone and Huawei will be making entry level phones as per usual, and the whole pattern will keep repeating itself until we get the power of a desktop pc in our pockets and possibly beyond that...

Phil.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Android isn't mainstream. Droid is. Everyone knows what an iPhone is, and only a few people know what makes the Droid work.

Considering the number of phones (from different manufacturers and carriers) that have been and are going to be released running Android, it's definitely mainstream. The Droid is selling very well which proves a lot of people know exactly what makes it work. And the ones that don't are forced to become acquainted with the superior OS.

They've all heard of Droid, but not because of its greatness. They heard about it because of hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising.

Oh yeah, like Apple never spends tons of money on advertisement and hype :rolleyes: Verizon and Motorola just took a page from Apple's playbook and successfully used it against them and AT&T.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Considering the number of phones (from different manufacturers and carriers) that have been and are going to be released running Android, it's definitely mainstream. The Droid is selling very well which proves a lot of people know exactly what makes it work. And the ones that don't are forced to become acquainted with the superior OS.

I call BS. Nobody else in my family has heard of "Android" and it relating to a phone. The have, however heard of Brat Pitt, the iPhone, and Nintendo. That's mainstream, Android OS isn't.

Oh yeah, like Apple never spends tons of money on advertisement and hype :rolleyes: Verizon and Motorola just took a page from Apple's playbook and successfully used it against them and AT&T.

Ok here's the thing. Droid sells well and people still like it. That's two things in play there. Eventually, the Droid will be renowned for being a cool phone and everyone will understand that, it's building a good reputation. Thing is though, no local newspaper around here for about 100 miles wrote anything about the Droid.

When Apple announced the iPhone, thousands of local papers wrote about it across the country. Apple spent millions, yes, but by and large they had a substantial amount of mindshare from mainstream journalism, you know, the kind of journalism that your grandpa sees.

Now here we are, and the iPhone ALREADY HAS a great reputation, while the Droid is still just some thingy off a commercial everyone sees. Huge difference man.

:D

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Well, hopefully with the Nexus One both the phone and the Android platform will garner the reputation needed to effectively compete with the iPhone and others.

We can but hope...

Phil.

Last edited:

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I call BS. Nobody else in my family has heard of "Android" and it relating to a phone. The have, however heard of Brat Pitt, the iPhone, and Nintendo. That's mainstream, Android OS isn't.

I Doubt they've heard of iPhone OS, so what's your point?

Ok here's the thing. Droid sells well and people still like it. That's two things in play there. Eventually, the Droid will be renowned for being a cool phone and everyone will understand that, it's building a good reputation. Thing is though, no local newspaper around here for about 100 miles wrote anything about the Droid.

When Apple announced the iPhone, thousands of local papers wrote about it across the country. Apple spent millions, yes, but by and large they had a substantial amount of mindshare from mainstream journalism, you know, the kind of journalism that your grandpa sees.

Now here we are, and the iPhone ALREADY HAS a great reputation, while the Droid is still just some thingy off a commercial everyone sees. Huge difference man.

Yes we know, there are a lot in the tech industry who's under Steve Jobs' spell and will write about and go nuts over anything Apple puts out, whether it be crap or not. That's old news. So your local newspaper not having anything on the Droid is not surprising, but expected. That still didn't stop it from doing extremely well which speaks volumes and proves there are still many well informed folks amongst the sheep.

Last edited:

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I Doubt they've heard of iPhone OS, so what's your point?
Point is, they don't care what makes it work. I think you just made my point....quite perfectly. No matter how ingenious or retarded the internals are, it's ultimately irrelevant to my ditzy cousin, rich uncle, or my Grandma.
Yes we know, there are a lot in the tech industry who's under Steve Jobs' spell and will write about and go nuts over anything Apple puts out, whether it be crap or not. That's old news. So your local newspaper not having anything on the Droid is not surprising, but expected. That still didn't stop it from doing extremely well which speaks volumes and proves there are still many well informed folks amongst the sheep.

Funny...most journalists that reported on the iPhone barely know who Steve Jobs is, and probably never watched one of his keynotes....so.... you just kinda chased your own rabbit there....that you created in your own mind... Aside from that, lawyers and doctors who don't give a crap about tech and never heard of Steve Jobs aren't under his spell either. I wouldn't call them stupid people, they just don't care about the tech and to them iPhone is relevant, Droid is not... till a bunch of people they know gets one.

LET'S PLAY PRETEND!! YAY!! :p

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Point is, they don't care what makes it work. I think you just made my point....quite perfectly. No matter how ingenious or retarded the internals are, it's ultimately irrelevant to my ditzy cousin, rich uncle, or my Grandma.

The point is, iPhone OS is still mainstream regardless. Not sure you can separate the two. Whether your ditzy cousin know of it by name is moot. Once they've become acquainted with the iPhone, they've become acquainted with the OS. Tell them 'Iphone OS' they'll give you a blank stare. Tell them 'it's the software that runs the iPhone' and they'll understand. Same with the Droid. The names of the respective OSes may not be mainstream, but the OSes are. I think you and I have slightly different ideas of what 'mainstream' means.

Funny...most journalists that reported on the iPhone barely know who Steve Jobs is, and probably never watched one of his keynotes....so.... you just kinda chased your own rabbit there....that you created in your own mind... Aside from that, lawyers and doctors who don't give a crap about tech and never heard of Steve Jobs aren't under his spell either. I wouldn't call them stupid people, they just don't care about the tech and to them iPhone is relevant, Droid is not... till a bunch of people they know gets one.

LET'S PLAY PRETEND!! YAY!! :p

Wow so you're speaking for most journalists too? And putting them down in the process.

Steve Jobs and Apple can be used interchangeably and they often are. Apparently you don't read or get around a lot. Also if a journalist reporting on tech trends doesn't know who the Apple's co-founder and CEO is by now, they should be fired.

I agree with your last statement though. People will often go by word of mouth and what their friends use. Only time and education can change that.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
The point is, iPhone OS is still mainstream regardless. Not sure you can separate the two. Whether your ditzy cousin know of it by name is moot. Once they've become acquainted with the iPhone, they've become acquainted with the OS. Tell them 'Iphone OS' they'll give you a blank stare. Tell them 'it's the software that runs the iPhone' and they'll understand. Same with the Droid. The names of the respective OSes may not be mainstream, but the OSes are. I think you and I have slightly different ideas of what 'mainstream' means.
See now you're shifting gears, your earlier point when you said "The success of the Droid is undeniable and it has helped to propel Android into the mainstream." I said Android still isn't mainstream, nobody's heard of "Android". They've only heard of "Droid". Then you made several other statements, now you're shifting gears and saying the OS is insignificant.

The other thing, iPhone 3GS sold 1 million units on the first weekend. Droid sold 1/4 of that. Impressive, yes. Now that the Droid has added 1 million users bring the total number of Android users to less than 10 million...it's a niche market dude. It's not mainstream.

What's funny though is that you're here trying to trumpet something and fluff it up while refusing to face reality. What's ironic is that I love Android probably more than you do. Post in some other threads man, engage this community instead of sulking in this section, of all places. I don't see you anywhere else in the forums. You some catankerous old fart or somethin?

Wow so you're speaking for most journalists too? And putting them down in the process.

Steve Jobs and Apple can be used interchangeably and they often are. Apparently you don't read or get around a lot. Also if a journalist reporting on tech trends doesn't know who the Apple's co-founder and CEO is by now, they should be fired.

I agree with your last statement though. People will often go by word of mouth and what their friends use. Only time and education can change that.

Steve Jobs isn't Apple anymore. I honestly don't care about Steve Jobs. It's like going to a hospital. When you're getting services there, do you give a crap who the CEO or Administrator is? I care about who the nurse is, not the CEO. It's absurd. I think it's a bit of group-think based obsessiveness that use to be relevant 4 years ago but now the dude's not even half as involved as he use to be. It's starting to show too. Snow Leopard being a fricken disaster, AppleTV royally sucking balls still, and iPhone's inherent problems (gatekeeper issues, no multitasking, no notifications, etc, but what it does right it does better than Android).

Ugh, I realize that this argument is getting to the "arguing with a brain damaged 10 year old" stage. Seriously, think about posting elsewhere......if you are, it isn't enough. Do it more. You just look like a tool posting in here.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
See now you're shifting gears, your earlier point when you said "The success of the Droid is undeniable and it has helped to propel Android into the mainstream." I said Android still isn't mainstream, nobody's heard of "Android". They've only heard of "Droid". Then you made several other statements, now you're shifting gears and saying the OS is insignificant.

LOL, I guess my point escapes you and will continue to. Shifting gears? No. I just tried to put it in a much simpler form and it still flew over your head. I guess there's no point in trying any further.

What's funny though is that you're here trying to trumpet something and fluff it up while refusing to face reality. What's ironic is that I love Android probably more than you do. Post in some other threads man, engage this community instead of sulking in this section, of all places. I don't see you anywhere else in the forums. You some catankerous old fart or somethin?

HAHAHA, it's just a forum. I'm very active on serveral others. You're engaging me in discussion as much as I am you. When something of interest shows up I post. But in this case you addressed one of my posts, remember?

Steve Jobs isn't Apple anymore. I honestly don't care about Steve Jobs. It's like going to a hospital. When you're getting services there, do you give a crap who the CEO or Administrator is? I care about who the nurse is, not the CEO. It's absurd. I think it's a bit of group-think based obsessiveness that use to be relevant 4 years ago but now the dude's not even half as involved as he use to be. It's starting to show too. Snow Leopard being a fricken disaster, AppleTV royally sucking balls still, and iPhone's inherent problems (gatekeeper issues, no multitasking, no notifications, etc, but what it does right it does better than Android).

And you talk about me shifting gears? One minute you're talking about journalists not knowing who Steve Jobs is, now you're talking about yourself.
I'm trying to keep this focused but you seem to be all over the place. What are we talking about now? Apple's demise?

Ugh, I realize that this argument is getting to the "arguing with a brain damaged 10 year old" stage. Seriously, think about posting elsewhere......if you are, it isn't enough. Do it more. You just look like a tool posting in here.

If you don't want me to engage you, don't engage me simple. And the fact that you're now in name calling phase means you don't have much more to add.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I think I am getting sick of all the platform willy waving... :p

;)

Phil.

Agreed, and unfortunately I'm investigating the forums ignore function. Something I had hoped was left for crackberry.

*edit*
And even more unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an ignore function.

*second edit*
User controls, edit ignore list, enter the name.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87