Is SwiftKey safe? How do you know?

7plymaple

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to try out some different keyboard options. The first one I tried was SwiftKey. And I got the warning message saying "This input method may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers."

Thought it would be best to ask before trying similar apps.

The warning must exist because the permissions keyboard apps require give them the right to log what ever you key...

So how do you avoid getting keylogged?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You're right, that's a warning that should be there for all keyboards since, you know, you're typing in them.

SwiftKey uses your keylogs to build it's prediction list, which you can totally opt out of, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of using SwiftKey.

Also note that SK doesn't log passwords (and it won't even give you suggestions in password fields) or anything you type in text fields marked as 'private'.

ANY keyboard that uses any kind of prediction or adaptive auto-correction is keeping keylogs, even your stock keyboard.

Now, the data sent to SK's servers (should you choose to sync with their cloud service) is encrypted, so your list stays secure.

7plymaple

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's true even the stock keyboard will log everything if you let it. I've always made a point of unchecking the save passwords box. But I've always wondered if the apps just stop showing you what they logged in the password boxes. Or if they actually don't log keystrokes in those boxes.

joshg314

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That comment is 100% correct about password fields. If SwiftKey detects the field is a password one (meaning its coded as such) then the keyboard will stop learning from the words typed there. You will also notice that the prediction bar will actually disappear altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress