How Do I Root GingerBread 2.3.6 Samsung Galaxy Prevail Boost

Do The Majority Of People Who Root Prevail's(SPH-M820-BST) Run Into Problems?

• Total voters

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have, over many months, including most of today, read a lot about how to root the Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy Prevail android smartphone.

It seems, based on various forum posts I have read, like a significant percentage of Prevail owners, ultimately, end up encountering some kind of problem(s), sometimes major and sometimes minor, after rooting.

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail is, I guess, a really old smartphone. Consequently, many of the links, especially links to files necessary for rooting, are now broken.

Can anyone tell me if it is really possible to root my Samsung Galaxy Prevail 1 without, after rooting, encountering problems that I did not have before rooting? And, if it is, from where can I download the files and read a "how to", for doing so? Judging from forum posts, it seems as if a high percentage of "rooters" end up with problem(s), after rooting.

I have read of people who have rooted their Prevail and ended up with problems such as:
  • gps issues
  • erratic phone behaviour(freezing, crashing, etc.)
  • camera no longer works
  • cant receive or send text messages
and on and on.

What I would like to do is root my Prevail(SPH-M820-BST), but, then, leave it, essentially, stock(rom, kernel, etc.). I don't want to partition my class 4, 8 GB, sd card, extend my phone's internal memory onto the sd card, or anything, for now. I don't want to install a custom rom or kernel, for now. I just want to root the phone without encountering problem(s), as a result of rooting, that reduce the phone's functionality compared to before rooting.

Again, it seems like most forum threads I have read on the subject have posts from quite a few people who have ended up with problems, after rooting.

I even happened to talk to a guy that said he would never, ever, root again, because the files he downloaded, from a forum, to do so ended up infecting his Windows XP computer so badly that he had to buy xp and reinstall. I certainly can not afford to replace a computer or my phone; after all, I was talking to this guy in the waiting room of a hospital, where I was getting treatment that I can't even afford to continue.

Currently, I rely, heavily, on Google Maps Navigation, GPS functionality, texting(mms and sms), bluetooth, usb, phone camera, and so on. I probably use the bulk of, if not all of, my Prevail's functionality on a regular basis.

Some of the reasons I would now root, if I could do so without encountering problems, include:
  • To use a data compression app
  • To Use a Firewall App
  • To, possibly, remove some pre-installed apps

Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Boost Mobile
model: SPH-M820-BST
android version: 2.3.6
baseband version: S:M820.07x.FA19
kernel version: 2.6.35.7
build number: Gingerbread.FA19
hardware version: M820.07

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that One Click Root for Android will not succeed in rooting a Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy Prevail, running Gingerbread 2.3.6

wessbrown84

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
rooted my prevail 2 with framaroot 1.6 i think it was 1.6 might have been 3.6 i dont remeber but this was when i first got the phone it was right out of the box and had no problems rooting. however i needed to factory reset (unrelated problem) my phone sometime later and tried same root option and havent been able to root and i dont know why im not a tech. but the apk is fairly easy to find and and you do not need to use a computer to root the phone. when you get the apk install it on your phone. the first time you run the program you choose the second option i think it is gandolf youll know what im talking about when you get here but if the second option if aragon choose it i just remeber its the second option after you select the second option it will close unexpected but if it does this then it will work the second time you do it infact you have to do it twice the first time it closes and the second it should go all the way through rooting. after you root get some sort of root checker off google play. hope it works for you and also if anyone reads this and knows why i cant root with same prog that i used on same phone and rooted first time but cant second please let me know and is there something i can do to fix the situation? good luck and thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall