Will Android L allow USB audio out in car?

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
From my phone thru the car stereo to the speakers like the all iphones do now? Im using the headphone jack or BT and the sound doesnt compare to sound my old ipod puts out. :cool:

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This is not a definitive answer by any means, but I just plugged in my Nexus 5 (running the latest developer preview of Lollipop) to my car's USB port and selected USB as the audio source. It said 'Not supported'. It is possible that this feature isn't included in the dev preview, so we'll probably have to wait for the final release.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Dave. This is getting RIDICULOUS. 300+ views so i think its safe to assume that im not the only person interested in this. I've been googling this for two days & posted on the Android L Developers board on G+ and just couldnt get a definitive answer. Just this morning i found the Program Manager for the Android L Audio USB project (Dylan Thomas) on G+ and left him a note asking this very question about Audio USB.

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I want to know the answer to this as well. I'm hoping that with Lollipop we'll be able to stream music in the car via USB because Bluetooth sucks.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The more i read about android auto the more i "think it might happen. On the other hand ive asked google & posted this same question on the L developer pages and i cant get a straight answer. Im wondering if its up to the carrier whether theyll allow the audio out function to be enabled for use with a car stereo...

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
To my knowledge, there are 3 main types of Android car USB audio:
1. Android device as storage device; car audio system as player - DAC - amp - speakers
2. Android device as storage device - player; standard USB DAC; car audio system as amp - speakers
3. Android device as storage device - player; car audio system as DAC - amp - speakers.

LL.jpg

1. Android device as storage device; car audio system as player - DAC - amp - speakers:

Android phone as storage device >> regular USB cable >> car audio system: car audio player > car audio DAC > car audio amp > car audio speakers

The car audio system operating in USB Host mode provides power to the Android phone operating in USB Device mode.

Using your Android phone with your car stereo (How To) - CNET

2. Android device as storage device - player; standard USB DAC; car audio system as amp - speakers:

Android phone as storage device - player(s) >> USB OTG cable >> compatible USB DAC >> car audio system: car audio amp > car audio speakers

The Android phone operating in USB Host mode provides power to the standard USB DAC.
As often as possible, a USB OTG/ACA cable should be used so that the USB ACA-featured Android phone operating in USB Host mode is also able to be charged by a power supply at the same time.

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 363

3. Android device as storage device - player; car audio system as DAC - amp - speakers:

Android phone as storage device - player(s) >> regular USB cable >> car audio system: car audio DAC > car audio amp > car audio speakers

The car audio system operating in USB Host mode provides power to the Android phone.
This car audio DAC (i.e. Android-specific USB DAC) is obviously not compatible with PC or Mac. It is compliant with the Android Open Accessory protocol 2.0 (AOA 2.0).

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 155
Android Compatibility | Pioneer Electronics USA
Firmware Updates | JVC

Standard USB audio supported by Android 5.0 Lollipop:
Android phones and USB DACs - Page 377

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yup ended up upgrading the head unit in my 4runner to a Pioneer FH X820BS which supports Android MTP. The USB audio feature in 5.0 is plug and play. Its about ******* time Google.