Can I get some help with notifications and the lock screen?

A

AC Question

Notifications and Lock Screen

So I did figure out how to get the giant notifications off of my lock screen on 5.0, by checking "don't show notifications" when screen is locked. However - now it won't even let me see the notifications on the drop down notification shade, unless I unlock the screen. Is there any way to tweak this so it will show up in the dropdown shade, but not have the ugly blocks of text across my lock screen, or is it all or nothing with this stupid OS?

Thanks!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Notifications and Lock Screen

So I did figure out how to get the giant notifications off of my lock screen on 5.0, by checking "don't show notifications" when screen is locked. However - now it won't even let me see the notifications on the drop down notification shade, unless I unlock the screen. Is there any way to tweak this so it will show up in the dropdown shade, but not have the ugly blocks of text across my lock screen, or is it all or nothing with this stupid OS?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

I have to unlock my phone to pull down the notification shade. I have a secure lock. You might not have to unlock it if you have swipe only and not a secure lock.

vinceravivere

May 29, 2015
Visit site

It is in fact a swipe only unlock; I've always liked the feature of being able to pull down notifications without having to unlock the whole thing. Is this now a dead feature??

(I am in fact OP, but didn't realize I wasn't signed in before posting! Sorry!)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

It is in fact a swipe only unlock; I've always liked the feature of being able to pull down notifications without having to unlock the whole thing. Is this now a dead feature??

(I am in fact OP, but didn't realize I wasn't signed in before posting! Sorry!)

Well it is a security issue. They figure if you have a secure lock, you don't want people getting in at all. Also, if the phone is locked you would have to unlock it when tapping on the notification. So either way, you have to unlock.

vinceravivere

May 29, 2015
Visit site

Before, though, I could just pull down the notifications bar and tap directly on the notification to go straight to it from the lock screen, versus swipe to unlock > pull down notifications bar > go to app. It's just one extra step, but particularly annoying when my phone is flashing at me and I can't tell what it's for at a quick glance. That's the whole reason I didn't bother with a secure lock screen and just had the swipe - there aren't a lot of people around who would poke around my phone, and I really liked the convenience of the at-a-glance notifications.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Before, though, I could just pull down the notifications bar and tap directly on the notification to go straight to it from the lock screen, versus swipe to unlock > pull down notifications bar > go to app. It's just one extra step, but particularly annoying when my phone is flashing at me and I can't tell what it's for at a quick glance. That's the whole reason I didn't bother with a secure lock screen and just had the swipe - there aren't a lot of people around who would poke around my phone, and I really liked the convenience of the at-a-glance notifications.

You can't do that with swipe to unlock?

Lollipop introduced more security features and will have even more on 5.1. Android is also focusing a lot on work stuff being integrated with your personal phone so you don't have to deal with two phones and more things like paying and bank stuff, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy