Google backup and restore

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I've always had this option enabled by default. Was wondering, would I lose any functions if it were disabled apart from the obvious?

I use Samsung's Smartswitch to backup and restore so figured I have perhaps no need for this item to be enabled on my device anymore. I just didn't want to end up in a shock finding perhaps my calendar and or contacts would not synchronise?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't lose anything other than the stated back up and restore options from Google. HOWEVER, for apps, I prefer doing it through Google's as Samsung's might conflict with the new phone,especially if you are coming from a much older OS version. Google's isn't as neat (it mostly just re-downloads your apps automatically) but at least it's a clean install.

Contact/Calendar sync is separate from the back up/restore options. As long as you don't disable sync on your Google Account for those, you are still saving them to the cloud.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
You don't lose anything other than the stated back up and restore options from Google. HOWEVER, for apps, I prefer doing it through Google's as Samsung's might conflict with the new phone,especially if you are coming from a much older OS version. Google's isn't as neat (it mostly just re-downloads your apps automatically) but at least it's a clean install.

Contact/Calendar sync is separate from the back up/restore options. As long as you don't disable sync on your Google Account for those, you are still saving them to the cloud.
I'm trying to rely less on cloud storage hence my own little experiment. I guess one blatant option of not using Google backup would be if I ever have to use another Android device other than Samsung.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that would be the disadvantage of sticking with the option that's manufacturer-locked versus using the one that works across all OS devices hehe. You do have a similar tool as Smart Switch built into Android, however, it's just not as 'friendly' or comprehensive as Smart Switch.