Factory Reset was not by me

DizziDroid

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi

My Samsung Galaxy S8 Edge has started a factory reset and I did not trigger it.

I woke this morning and my phone was turned off. When I went to turn it on, the configuration process started to reset the device.

I don't really have more information.

Was this potentially an update or a hack? Could a hardware issue do this? Any idea what could, beside user event?

Any assistance would be good.

Thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Reset, as in restarted? That could have been an update. Reset, as in deleted everything? It could be a hack, it could be a hardware issue, it could be an app you installed recently, that was set to fire on December 21, 2008. It could be anything. The only user event would be you going to Settings > System > Reset options.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Rukbat...

The way that you describe it, it sounds like it sounds like your phone recieved an Android OS update. Over the years I have had several Android phones, and each time the phones have received Android OS updates, it has somewhat resembled a Factory Reset.

As Rukbat started, if you find that all of your personal data was wiped out, then it was Factory Reset, and could have been caused by a hardware issue or a problem app. Most likely it would be a hardware issue.

A few years ago I had a HTC One that had a hardware issue and did cause a couple of Factory Resets before it died on me. Ultimately I shipped it to HTC and got it repaired for free.