At&t group messaging with the stock app?

bgask1717

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I am considering jumping to the LG G2 from my work granted iphone 5. I am not new to Android so I understand I can get group messaging with Textra or Go SMS. I really like the quick pop up feature that has been shown off using the stock messaging app, but heard on an XDA forum that the AT&T version of the G2 does not handle group messages correctly. The Verizon version has the options in settings to use MMS for group, but from what I hear the AT&T version does not have that setting.

Can anyone who has the AT&T version give some insight on their experience with the stock messaging app? If you send a group message, do you get all the replies in the same group thread? Or do they come back separately under each contact? Thanks for all the help!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the AT&T version, you are correct there is no group mms setting in the stock messaging app. While you can send a group message to multiple contacts, the replies come back individually by contact and not in the group thread. I like the stock messaging app in all other respects so I have no desire to use an alternative but would like the group responses in the same thread as well. In any event it's not a real problem for me just a minor inconvenience. In all other respects its a great phone and I am really enjoying having it. Hope this helps you.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
One other point to note on the sending of a group message, I checked and the recipients receive the message as an individual text as well. In other words, when you send a text to multiple contacts like you would for a group message, each person who gets it sees it as an individual message to them and not as you would normally in a group text if you follow what I mean.

bgask1717

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
One other point to note on the sending of a group message, I checked and the recipients receive the message as an individual text as well. In other words, when you send a text to multiple contacts like you would for a group message, each person who gets it sees it as an individual message to them and not as you would normally in a group text if you follow what I mean.

Thanks for your help mhunter. That's unfortunate that such a basic function was overlooked on the AT&T version. I know it's not a deal breaker, but having to use a 3rd part app will take away the stock messaging features I like (quick reply notification and unread count on the app icon).

I know these can be achieved through different launcher add-ons, but then I think (not totally sure) I would lose the knock on/off feature. Thanks again!

afdave

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I just got the new G2 and I can confirm. This is super annoying and feels like a step backwards. I plan on making noise to AT&T and LG until they get their $&!## together. The fact that someone said they can do it on Verizon makes me even angrier. AT&T FAIL. LG FAIL.

Just an update: after I posted this I emailed LG. I may email AT&T as well asking if this feature will be added soon. No answer yet, but if not I'm getting a new phone. I know I can download apps that will do the same, but they won't have the functionality of the native app. Basically this, combined with the fact that their quick window case wasn't available upon release when they began touting it weeks ago has really put a bad taste in my mouth for LG.

Too bad, the screen is beautiful and battery life amazing. But then I'm sure the same can be said for the Note 3...

Last edited:

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Is this an LG or AT&T issue? I wasn't able to group message in my galaxy 3 either. A lot of my friends and iPhone group messages and I hate not being able to message everyone back

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is this an LG or AT&T issue? I wasn't able to group message in my galaxy 3 either. A lot of my friends and iPhone group messages and I hate not being able to message everyone back

Good question. Could be a combination of both. For those of you who love this device but use group messaging a lot, I'd suggest you all call/email AT&T support regarding the issue. The more they hear from people the more likely they are to change it if it's possible.

afdave

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Response from LG:

"We apologize for all the inconveniences this may have caused. Phones are manufactured for the carriers bade [sic] on their specifications and features they request. By the moment there is not information if the AT&T version will get this feature or not. If there’s any update released for this phone with this option you will get a notification directly on your phone."

In that case I'm returning the phone since I'm still within my window. It may seem a minor issue that I can address with third party apps, but that's an annoying fix that never seems to work as well and it's been an on-going issue for long enough (just read a few of these android forums) that any carrier / manufacturer that has not fixed / addressed this issue is not doing their job. Unfortunately I'm too tied to AT&T to leave them, but I'll def let them know I'm unhappy.

Sorry LG, was a great phone for a few days...

afdave

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
And here is AT&T's response:

"I can definitely understand your concerns and frustration regarding the LG G2 not being able to send/receive group text messages and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today.
I do apologize that we do not have any information regarding when an update will be available to resolve this issue. I would recommend checking the LG website for possible information. "

And that's the extent of it. Basically just told me I'm SOL.

To oldschoolsig, I have no interest in downloading a third party app for a feature that is part and parcel to today's phones. Even if I were to do that it would not send the message I want to AT&T and LG.

If enough people return their phones then next time maybe they'll pay a little more attention and do better. If everyone accepts it and uses work-arounds then there is no incentive to change their shoddy way of doing business.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
And here is AT&T's response:

"I can definitely understand your concerns and frustration regarding the LG G2 not being able to send/receive group text messages and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today.
I do apologize that we do not have any information regarding when an update will be available to resolve this issue. I would recommend checking the LG website for possible information. "

And that's the extent of it. Basically just told me I'm SOL.

To oldschoolsig, I have no interest in downloading a third party app for a feature that is part and parcel to today's phones. Even if I were to do that it would not send the message I want to AT&T and LG.

If enough people return their phones then next time maybe they'll pay a little more attention and do better. If everyone accepts it and uses work-arounds then there is no incentive to change their shoddy way of doing business.

Do as you wish,but it seems that the point of android is largely the ability to use third party apps and not be locked into what the carrier decides. I like textra almost as well as imessage,which was my favorite feature the last 5 years on Its.
Fight the power

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I was pissed to find out there was no group text feature too...

then I downloaded textra...and all was well :)

I am sure with an update we will see the native app gain that functionality, but until then, textra is pretty awesome.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Textra is as good or better than stock app. Cleaner ui, group mms, quick reply popup. You don't really sacrifice anything by going to textra

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Textra is as good or better than stock app. Cleaner ui, group mms, quick reply popup. You don't really sacrifice anything by going to textra

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

See.....an aggie and a red raider agree on this😀

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

djwellz

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I know that group messaging with the stock app works on the verizon network and not on at&t. I'm on At&t with my Galaxy s3 and after trying a few of the aftermarket apps I ended up using the at&t messaging app. I think this might be a deliberate ploy to get us to use their app (which works pretty well but requires that they get access to all of your contacts among other things). who knows if any of the other paid messaging apps request that from them via some partnership agreement. they are after all a business designed to make money. I'm guessing that after realizing that their paid bundled apps like the at&t navigation app were going suffer in sales due to the free google apps like google maps, they may have looked at other ways of getting paid. :(

afdave

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
That sounds about right, djwellz. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put anything past AT&T.
@oldschoolsig: I ended up trying textra and found I could get it to do pretty much everything as the stock app and so I ended up keeping the G2, but ... I changed a notification tone for texts on one of my contacts and now have been unable to change it back no matter what I do (see my post in another thread for everything I tried). Don't know if its Textra, LG, or what, but my last option is going to be a factory reset. Ridic.
I'm waiting on a response from Textra.

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried textra but couldn't get used to it. I really like the pop up on the stock sms. I think the group message is an AT&T issue, because it didn't work on my galaxy 3 either.

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I had group text with my Nokia 920 on AT&T...sounds like it's just something they forgot to add to this phone. It is strange to me that they don't have it and doesn't make any sense.

Posted via Android Central App

26Two

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I was on the verge of returning the phone over this issue, but Textra seems to have solved the problem. I do miss having a number bubble notification, rather than an icon in the notification bar. Is there a way to get this with Textra, or is there another messaging app that does this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38