LG G2: Proximity sensor issues during phone calls

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, the same problem again. It did not
completely work out

Yeah it eventually came back for me too. This isn't really a "fix" but I use the quickwindow case and LOVE IT. I just make sure the flap is shut when I am talking on the phone. But I forgot the other day and realized I had accidentally changed the time on my phone from 12-24 hour format :p

Doug Brunner

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the AT&T G2 and one thing that is making me a bit crazy is the proximity sensor.

When I make a call and hold the phone to my ear (left), the screen does go off like it's supposed to, but 50% of the time if I move the phone even a little bit, the screen comes on and my ear triggers one of the on screen buttons so I'm constantly hearing the beeps of the keypad and I have to jam the phone closer to my ear and not move it to keep the screen from coming back on during a call. I don't find any setting for the proximity sensor on the AT&T model.

Is this just something to live with or is there a way to adjust/fix things?

This may be an old thread... But I'll give you my solution. I haven't found something to FIX the issue, but I have found a very simple work around that works 100% of the time for me.

Just before putting the phone up to your ear (either after hitting send or hitting answer) hit the middle/lock button on the back of the G2. I THINK you can even do this after the phone is up to your ear, but I always do it before putting the phone to my ear, just in case. This of course only works if you dont have the lock button hot-keyed to hang up.

Hope that helps!

boblight

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Here is how I solved the problem.
I didn't want to open the back cover and do the hardware fixes like some users display in YouTube.
I entered the maintenance menus of the LG G2 D802 using 3845#*802# and navigated to Device Test --> Individual Item --> Sensor Test.
After waiting for the various tests to succeed (probably resetting / re-calibrating the sensor) I went back up the menus
(using BACK TO MAIN and then EXIT) and this time selected HW Device Test --> ALC Proximity Test.
Indeed the display switched properly between NEAR and FAR when I waived my hand in front of the sensor.
I then exited the maintenance menus, made a call to see the screen isn't stuck on off (NEAR mode),
restarted the phone and made the call again to verify.
So far the problem didn't return. If it will, I suppose the same fix will work again.
Hope that helps people with the same issue on the D802.

May 11, 2015
Visit site
question then how do you retrieve your pictures/data etc.. if the sensor stops working? because I have my LG for a year 1/2 and all of sudden the touch sensor stopped working and I can't use any buttons to go back , home page , view my emails, replied to any text, share or send emails.

JelkeSoftware

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks boblight! :D :D

Chuck-Norris-Thumbs-Up-Meme-16.jpg

I have searched everywhere looking for a solution and everywhere it said it was a hw problem but it wasn't.

Your solution worked immediately! :D

tobiascapin

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm really sad about this issue.
It happened to my LG G2 802 a year ago and I solved sending my phone to assistance and I don't know what they did.

Now I have this issue again but the phone warranty is over. I tried all this ways:
  • Calibrate the phone from Settings menu General > Gesture > Calibration
  • Wipe data to factory default
  • Calibrate the phone with hidden menu 3845#*802# and Device Test as suggested some posts ago
  • Replace the sensor hardware with a new one
  • Add some pad behind the senso to push it better in its front mask (suggested here: [Q] LG G2 Proximity Sensor causing me proble… - Pg. 2 | LG G2)
  • Pray

But It does't work, my screen doesn't switch on tapping it and during the call the proxymity doesn't switch off the screen. The ALC test gives me always "NO DATA".
I don't have the exact menu option: Device Test --> Individual Item --> Sensor Test as said some posts ago, but maybe in my menu it is under Device Test --> Service Menu - Auto Test. It passes with label "Proximity Cal pass: 157" but after it, when it says "Block the sensor with you hand", it stays on "Proximity INIT" without chaning its value.

I excluded software problem wiping the phone, and hardware problem replacing the sensor... what else can I do?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez