4G stays on while connected to WIFI?

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Anybody having this issue? When I connect to WIFI, 4G remains on. The only way to turn 4G off is to also turn off mobile data.

I did a factory reset before setting my phone up. Anybody know a way to fix this?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It is always on unless specifically turned off.
If WiFi is on, it is the main connection point.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint LG G3.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
It is always on unless specifically turned off.
If WiFi is on, it is the main connection point.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint LG G3.

Really? On my Galaxy S3 I just replaced mobile data would turn off whenever I was connected to WIFI. If I sent a text with a picture mobile data would come on to send and then go back off.

If this LG keeps mobile data on regardless is it not sucking more battery to keep the 4G antenna on and searching?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
??? The radio stays on even when wifi is on or you could not get SMS or phone calls. The G3 still shows the cell signal while on wifi but I am pretty sure it uses wifi for mobile data and not the network when wifi is connected.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot showing 4G icon and WIFI on my G3

bepeny6e.jpg

Screenshot showing 4G off when on WIFI on my Galaxy S3

apyry6up.jpg

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
??? The radio stays on even when wifi is on or you could not get SMS or phone calls. The G3 still shows the cell signal while on wifi but I am pretty sure it uses wifi for mobile data and not the network when wifi is connected.
I know the radio stays on but not the one for mobile data. Check out my 2 screenshots.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Here is a screenshot with mobile data turned off. Notice the 4G icon still shows up but it's muted and no transmission arrows.

ga3e3agu.jpg

bigwilly087

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I know the radio stays on but not the one for mobile data. Check out my 2 screenshots.
The only difference is the G3 shows that the 4G signal is available in the notification bar, while on the S3 it didn't. There is no difference other than just the icon display, while WiFi is in use 4G is not.

On the S3 you could go and see the lte signal strength even when WiFi was on, which proves that the 4G radio is on even when not in use, unless manually turned off.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The only difference is the G3 shows that the 4G signal is available in the notification bar, while on the S3 it didn't. There is no difference other than just the icon display, while WiFi is in use 4G is not.

On the S3 you could go and see the lte signal strength even when WiFi was on, which proves that the 4G radio is on even when not in use, unless manually turned off.
Interesting. Do you know how it functionally works with using battery power? I have always got much better battery life when on WIFI. Especially when in a poor signal area because the radio isn't working to pull a signal.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you see any arrow activity on the 4G icon when you're on wifi?

Posted via Android Central App
I did look for that and I didn't notice any. When on 4G only it seems to have activity every 15 seconds maybe, which I assume is for standard refreshing looking for new data?