How is LG with software updates?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This is my first LG and I've read both sides; one saying they're terribly slow and other articles saying they're "timely." When do you think we'll see Android L?

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If LG are going to make the L-running Nexus 6, or one of them in the event of two successors to the N5, I see no particular reason that we shall have L on the G3 sooner rather than later.

Posted via Android Central App

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nexus phones do not have to go through carriers when updates are released.
Phones like G2 or G3, updates depend on the carriers. So really don't know if sooner or later.

If LG are going to make the L-running Nexus 6, or one of them in the event of two successors to the N5, I see no particular reason that we shall have L on the G3 sooner rather than later.

Posted via Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
From personal experience, they are horrible. I've only had two LG phones. With my first two (Optimus M and V), I was too new to Android to really care about updates, though I vaguely remember one of those devices being promised Gingerbread and it either not happening or it happening late and long after I moved on. My third phone was the G2x and it was promised Ice Cream Sandwich which never came. The Nexus 4 and 5 followed, but those don't count. I didn't let my experience with the G2x deter me from buying the G3, though.

While LG has been bad in the past, I don't suspect the to be horrible now. They're a rising star and phone manufacturers are now being pressured now more than ever to be quick about updates. If they're slow to update the G3, they'll lose all the momentum they're gaining against HTC and Samsung.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My lg optimus G got ICS pretty late in the game. My LG G Pad got kit kat abpout 5 mo after the device released. The G2 for AT&T was released september and got KIT KAT february.

It's really not bad of a timeline, in line with samsung and htc. The problem is multiple updates after the current one.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think LG did a good job with updating the G2 in the last year, keeping it pretty much up to date and more importantly the carriers got us the updates to keep it pretty much up to date. I think there will be no doubt the G3 will get L and get updated as well as the G2 did.

I think the carriers have to understand... if they are trying to push people off iphones and unto androids because they make less money on iphones... then they better push out updates the manufacturers make available and get it to us as fast as possible to make our phones working as smoothly as possible with bugs being fixed as well as get us the latest OS and features.

Otherwise people get tired of buying and android phone that doesnt get updated all year and already behind (not even on KitKat and L on the way)... while iPhone owners get updates straight from Apple when released... all at the same time... and they usually stay updated for 2 even three years and they lose android owners and they go back to Apple.