Lag from my LG G3 vanished! :D

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I am new to this website as I am coming over from Windows Phone and wpcentral but i wanted to write this thread to help frustrated G3 users like myself. So I was ecstatic when I purchased my LG G3 last month but I didn't notice how bad the lag was until after my 15 day buyers remorse window expired while comparing my G3 to my brothers HTC One M8. I went back to AT&T to try to exchange for another device but even the manager said he couldn't do anything for me since the 15 day window expired. Leaving the store frustrated I went out on a quest to find a fix. Doing some google searches populated the same threads about how to fix lag on the G3 without root using temperature and throttling control settings alterations but I wasn't comfortable doing that because I didn't want to take a chance with hardware damage because of the phone overheating. Other options included rooting the phone which I also wasn't comfortable with because the phone is brand new and I didn't want to void the warranty. After countless hours searching I finally found a solution I was comfortable trying since it didn't require altering hardware settings nor did it require rooting. It only required 2 simple steps which were changing the runtime from Dalvik to ART and changing the animation scales to .5x. I will explain how to do this below. I am writing this post as a tutorial for dummies not the advanced user only just because if I can help the average user who accidentally stumbles upon this post in the future. Now I have read many posts about users switching the runtime to ART and not noticing any improvements but trust me it is like night and day on the G3. After I made the changes my G3 smokes my brother's M8! We were both shocked and couldn't believe the difference. It was like the phone picked up 2 more cores and an extra gig of RAM. So I did the following...

Go to settings > About phone > Software information > Build number then tap on Build number 7 -8 times until you get a pop up saying you are now a developer.

Then back out to the previous page and you should see a Developer options category. Click on Select runtime and choose "Use ART". This will reboot your phone and upgrade your runtime to ART. This process takes about 20-25 minutes. Once your phone reboots it will be extremely choppy making you wonder if you made the right switch. Don't worry let your phone adjust for 5 minutes then do another restart.

After restart go back into Settings > Developer options and change the Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, Animator duration scale to .5x from the drop down menu. Then restart your phone again and let it load then you should experience a lag free lightning fast LG G3!

A couple of notes I would like to mention. Firstly, before switching to ART my animation scales were set at 1x by default but when I went to change the animation scales after I changed the runtime to ART I found the animation scales turned off which was causing a choppy experience. I don't know how that happened but it must have happened during the conversion. Secondly, if for some reason you don't like the performance of ART you can always switch back to Dalvik so don't be afraid you think this is a permanent alteration. Also, I have read that Verizon LG G3 doesn't do well with ART so try this with caution. And lastly I just want to say that this is what worked for me and I am not promising anything nor am I responsible if anything happens to your phone. Use at your own risk but since these are options built into your phone I would say that everything is perfectly safe and completely reversible.

I apologize to the advanced users for writing an elementary post but if I can help one person with this annoying lag issue I would be a happy man. Hope this works for everyone. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I also forgot to mention that battery performance increased 25% for me. ART is known to have much better battery performance over Dalvik and my battery performance is substantially improved.

stardomains

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I did this about 6 days ago and find my G 3 to be running quite nicely. T-Mobile US version. I turned animations off completely.

Big06Daddy

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, you convinced me to give it another try.

I tried ART earlier, but switched back after about 10 minutes. My phone got real choppy and was running pretty warm afterwards.

We'll see how it goes.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I did this about 6 days ago and find my G 3 to be running quite nicely. T-Mobile US version. I turned animations off completely.

I tried it with animations off but the user experience was too choppy. At .5x it was more fluid yet still very fast.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, you convinced me to give it another try.

I tried ART earlier, but switched back after about 10 minutes. My phone got real choppy and was running pretty warm afterwards.

We'll see how it goes.

I think most switch back prematurely without letting the conversion settle in. After 5 minutes I was feeling the same way but after a few minutes and extra restarts and animations set to .5x it was like butter. Its not a coincidence that Android 5.0 Lollipop will run on ART by default. Give it another chance but give it a little time. BTW I love the Steelers hoodie :)

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
There's a long thread on these forums about using ART and the different experiences people have had.

I switched to ART for a couple of weeks and experienced a number of bugs. Hangouts for me stopped providing an audio notification, I switched back at that time. I had no noticeable improvement to the speed of my phone or battery life while on ART, so I saw no benefit.

Posted via G3 on the Android Central App

tola978

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Had ART since launch but with 1x. The .5x tip really helps. Any chance you know anything about the windows and animator settings? Mine has been off.

Posted via Android Central App

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have VZ as well, in your opinion this doesn't work good on VZW?

No, I would wait. I tried ART and experienced random power offs, force closes, and freezes. We will soon (I hope...unless Verizon drags their feet, which they will :confused: ) be getting Android L, so hopefully it has been resolved.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Had ART since launch but with 1x. The .5x tip really helps. Any chance you know anything about the windows and animator settings? Mine has been off.

Posted via Android Central App

Mine were defaulted at 1x for all 3 animations when it was set on the Dalvik runtime but when I converted to ART the first two defaulted to off which I found weird. When they were off it gave me a choppy experience but when I switched to .5x it became like butter.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
What does reducing (or increasing) these Animation scales ACTUALLY do, and how does this effect the lag issues?

I've tried ART a few times, and it has mostly worked well, but the extra gig or so that it takes up on the 16gb UK G3 is quite valuable, in my case at least. Also, once every couple of weeks my morning alarm disable all by itself (which never happened on DALVIK).

I have hardly and lag - just the odd redraw every so often when coming back to my home screen, but would interested if changing the animation scale has any noticeable effect on DALVIK also?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, it runs pretty fast on Stock with the regular settings.

But after enabling ART and reducing the animations(something I did, the day I got the device) really made a huge difference in the everyday speed!

I'm really sorry that you had to go through all that to make your G3 faster, thank God you didn't go back to Windows Phone but rest assured ART will be enabled by default for all G3 users in Android Lollipop and the animations will also run at a smoother 60 FPS.

Anyways extremely glad to read your post and glad that you've stayed with Android. The G3 is a spectacular device.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
What does reducing (or increasing) these Animation scales ACTUALLY do, and how does this effect the lag issues?

I've tried ART a few times, and it has mostly worked well, but the extra gig or so that it takes up on the 16gb UK G3 is quite valuable, in my case at least. Also, once every couple of weeks my morning alarm disable all by itself (which never happened on DALVIK).

I have hardly and lag - just the odd redraw every so often when coming back to my home screen, but would interested if changing the animation scale has any noticeable effect on DALVIK also?

Changing the animation values doesn't help with the lag but it helps with the speed of jumping from app to app especially in the multitask window and from moving from page to page in the app drawer and home screen. With animations set to 1x it is a slower transition and with animations turned off it jumps from app to app instantly which provides a choppy user experience. I found animations set to .5x provides the best experience for a faster user experience without a choppy experience. The best of both worlds.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, it runs pretty fast on Stock with the regular settings.

But after enabling ART and reducing the animations(something I did, the day I got the device) really made a huge difference in the everyday speed!

I'm really sorry that you had to go through all that to make your G3 faster, thank God you didn't go back to Windows Phone but rest assured ART will be enabled by default for all G3 users in Android Lollipop and the animations will also run at a smoother 60 FPS.

Anyways extremely glad to read your post and glad that you've stayed with Android. The G3 is a spectacular device.

Thanks. I really love Windows Phone for the fresh UI and ecosystem but the lack of 3rd party apps made me come to Android. Can't wait for Android 5.0 no doubt!

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Changing the animation values doesn't help with the lag but it helps with the speed of jumping from app to app especially in the multitask window and from moving from page to page in the app drawer and home screen. With animations set to 1x it is a slower transition and with animations turned off it jumps from app to app instantly which provides a choppy user experience. I found animations set to .5x provides the best experience for a faster user experience without a choppy experience. The best of both worlds.

Animations don't really affect lag, but switching to ART does. Any small lag I had on my Nexus 5 during any of my daily tasks was eliminated with ART, and scrolling, app loading and resuming all of this has become much better.

Thanks. I really love Windows Phone for the fresh UI and ecosystem but the lack of 3rd party apps made me come to Android. Can't wait for Android 5.0 no doubt!

I tried out Windows Phone because I liked the uncluttered UI, the live tiles, the speed and manual camera controls.

After having tried Windows Phone for over eight months, I moved back to Android. Because I've realised that Android is way less uncluttered(especially when you have a lot of apps on your home screen), widgets are way more functional than live tiles, Android beats Windows Phone in speed and manual camera controls are coming with Android Lollipop. Not to mention the terrible applications.

At this point in time I see no reason to go back, and I probably never will.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
mine won't switch to art on my att phone. I select the ART radio button and tap yes, phone reboots, still Dalvik. Am I doing something wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty