How could this happen? LG G3 updated to Lollipop without accepting OTA

jkovacs

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The other I got the popup for the AT&T Lollipop update, and since my G3 is rooted simply dismissed it and submitted a tip to AC. Since then it popped up again yesterday and I had to actually force stop the update service to get rid of it.

Last night I rebooted my phone before going to bed and this morning I woke up to find my phone is updated to 5.0.1. How could this happen? First, how can the OTA happen on a rooted phone, and second, how can it happen completely unattended!

I'm really ticked now. I had no intention of upgrading since my G3 was tweaked to perfection, running as smooth as silk and doing everything I wanted the way I wanted! I thought a rooted phone couldn't even take an OTA. I checked and of course SuperSU says there is no SU binary installed. And yes, I'm positive I was rooted!

I don't get it.

... Joe K.

Posted via Android Central App

jimijames

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine isn't rooted, and I got the notification yesterday that an update is available. Hit remind me later and this morning after walking the dog, I find my phone is in the optimizing apps part of the update. I never told it to update and I didn't really want it because of possible bluetooth issues. Looks like they are being heavy-handed with this update.

I have no idea how they would update your rooted phone though.

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I was asked a month ago to update to lollipop. I declined, went to settings, disabled updates. Never been asked since. I have also disabled automatic downloads for all my apps too. Hate lollipop problems, that's why it's disabled.

Posted via the Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
OTA can still work on rooted phone, you usually just end up with unrooted updated device. It's custom recovery that would prevent OTA.

Sent from my G2 running PAC-man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress