Is there a way to update a specific apps data?

MizMelzy76

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to the forum. I have an LG G3 with Verizon. I recently was notified that there was an OTA update - Guessing Marshmallow. I have had bad experiences with upgrades to new android versions. Mainly after update my battery drains super fast. So when upgrading the G3. I refused the update to lollipop for 6 months and then was finally forced to update. This caused battery drain. I had found a method that helped with the battery drain which was to do a factory reset. However I back up pictures, music etc but would like to back up app data. More specifically from time to time through like photo editing apps they will give certain photo frames free or clip-art for a limited time. If I get a new device or do a factory reset I loose those, and will then have to purchase them. If I do a factory reset I'll loose those free graphics that I obtained. Is there a way to back up a specific apps data which would restore the free stuff I obtained? Not sure how android apps work. I know computers. I don't know if it's as simple as copying the directory where the information is stored and backing that up and then putting it back in the same directory once the update and factory reset are complete. I'm sure because I'm not rooted this makes it all much more difficult. If it's not possible, guess I'm SOL in that area. But thought I'd ask!

Mel

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can also explore the LG Backup. It's buried in Settings, Backup& Reset. Select LG Backup, then LG Back up & Restore. Look at the drop down menus to see what can be potentially backed up. You can literally backup entire phone setup to an SD Card.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any idea if that backup function also backs up app data? As with the LG Bridge backup function, I wonder if it'll just backup your app list and reinstall those apps, rather than backing up all of the app data as well.

MizMelzy76

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The app is there that I'd like to back up. Question is if I do factory reset and install an updated version of the app as right now I have lollipop will it put the old version back on and the data. Or can I select to just restore the data for that app and not the app itself. Or maybe just restore the app and data and then update the app?

I plan on trying the update without doing factory reset on the off chance that it doesn't affect my phone (not holding my breath). I'd rather have everything backed up and do the update out of my own free will instead of being forced and then being mad about it.

Mel

Melissa

Theturtguy

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi. As B.Daddy mentioned, there is an app called Helium, but you will need to use it with computer. There are also apps like Go Backup and Titanium Backup, but you have to be rooted. Those are the only ways I know that backup apps with their data.

Updating a phone should leave your data intact, but if you want to be safe, you can do a nandroid backup in recovery mode. This would backup your entire phone, and you can restore your phone to the exact same state as it was before. You can find tutorials on YouTube. (More information on this if you need help)

p.s. rooting may be worth it. There are in app purchase hacks. Why backup;)

Myron🐢

Last edited:

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
LG Backup will backup app data. You can even select which app to backup. I use it to keep my Spades Plus money earned! I am addicted.

Posted via the Android Central App