Okay, I'm sold...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I saw the LG G4 leak and it's seems to be true as it's taken down.

It's perfect for me. Not only did they keep both the removable battery and microSD card slot, but when I expected an IPS LCD display, they instead threw in a nice bonus and gave it a 1440p QUANTUM display instead. For folks who don't know, a Quantum display is like a hybrid of OLED and LCD. It gives you the vibrance and visual flair + energy efficiency of OLED/AMOLED while also having the durability of LCD, since unlike OLEDs, they don't degrade over time.

What's also pretty freakin' good is the camera. 16MP is all fine and dandy, and f1.8 is monstrous, but a DSLR-style manual mode and a color spectrum sensor?! Okay, this is more than a complete improvement over my M7.

As much as I liked the S6, LG delivered the perfect phone that suits my needs and as such, is my smartphone upgrade. Well done, LG!

(Photos courtesy of 9to5 Google)
12.png16.png17.png18.png19.png20.png24.png

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about the specs. Those are LG G3 placeholder specs, since LG confirmed the rear camera will be 16MP and will throw in some aperture info while the front is 8MP.

And those colors are for the LG G3. There are more color options for the G4.

26.png

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm just waiting to see about a few items really.

While I would prefer front facing speakers, as long as the sound is bumped up, I think the back mounted speaker will be fine.

Another area of interest is the processor. I haven't read much about the 808 compared to the 810. It'll be interesting to see the performance difference and the difference on the battery.

How do you think the battery will hold up? My G3 just gets me through a day of usage. The screen destroys the large battery on this phone. How will advancements in screen tech affect the battery?

I could care less for a removable battery and SD card support. The M7 I had before my G3 had neither and it is my favorite phone of all time. How will the removable battery affect the wireless charging availability? Will this allow the carriers to cripple the feature like AT&T did by putting in PMA that only works with a special case?

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I buy my phones unlocked, because I don't like the BS carriers do to these phones, unless it's T-Mo.

I also have a G3 and it gets through a day. My friend also has one and can get 5 hours and 45 minutes of SOT simply by turning off wakelocks on all apps minus SystemUI (yeah, his phone is rooted and runs CM12).

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm holding out on the S6 to see what this is all about, but I think the size and curved back will make me shy away, not to mention the rear firing speaker, there's really no excuse to have that antiquated feature anymore...but I've waited this long, might as well hang in there.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
ill have to see it in person as i did like the g2 but im pretty sure ill skip the current flagships and keep my nexus 5 until the next nexus is announced in the fall. the only thing i do not like is how its basically a less curved g flex 2. that leather backing is horrid looking. at least lg kept a sd card and removable battery. if they do skip the 810 and go with the 808 cpu that all but confirms qualcomm really screwed up.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
that leather backing is horrid looking.

That leather will be so spooged up after a few years it'll be like a petri dish of every pathogen known to mankind...no thanks.

Not to mention how if you have it on your desk and your using one of the functions it'll wobble like crazy.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
That leather will be so spooged up after a few years it'll be like a petri dish of every pathogen known to mankind...no thanks.

Not to mention how if you have it on your desk and your using one of the functions it'll wobble like crazy.

it appears that leather back is an option. that was at least a smart move.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You could always order another back cover but yea. Wouldnt want to hold someone elses phone after a few months of use :eek:

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
On the same boat as well, the so for "leaked" G4 information is very appealing. Going to wait. Was going to order S6 or S6 Edge.....but will see how the G4 is.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm holding out on the S6 to see what this is all about, but I think the size and curved back will make me shy away, not to mention the rear firing speaker, there's really no excuse to have that antiquated feature anymore...but I've waited this long, might as well hang in there.

Yep, I was holding out for the S6 gold, but I'll definitely give this a look-see before buying. Same concerns as you... The G6 is as large a phone as I want already, I'm concerned about the G4 being clumsily large.

On the speaker thing... I like the audio emitting from the S6's speaker, though it is easily muffled. (the sound was actually better than the M9 at the at&t store). Between the two of those phones, it almost makes the rear speaker seem stupid, even though most android phones have been rear firing forever. Funny how that works.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Never thought about it but very good point about the spooge. Very good point.

Douglas_B

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
This looks great so far! It hits all of the things I'm looking for in my next phone: ips screen (I'm too nervous about burn in with samsung phones), expandable storage, 5+ inches in size, and decent camera. If the hands-on reviews are positive at the reveal I'll pre-order right away.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I was holding out for the S6 gold, but I'll definitely give this a look-see before buying. Same concerns as you... The G6 is as large a phone as I want already, I'm concerned about the G4 being clumsily large.

I'm at my limit with the S6 too and I really like how thin they made it, LG is going to have to have some shrunk down bezels and be pretty thin for me to jump. But like I said, I've waited this long, might as well hang in there, maybe there will be a nice surprise.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The G4 is going to blow the S6 out of the water. It's got a better battery, a removable battery, an SD card slot, and two better cameras.

I'm excited for the G4. I felt "meh" with the S6.

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Do we know if the front camera is going to be f1.8 as well? (mimicking the S6 1.9 front/rear)

On paper the g4 camera setup looks poised to overtake the s6 (which already overtook the iPhone6) but we'll have to wait and see. My hopes are high!

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I hope it supports Qi wireless charging here in the US this time....don't think LG supported here in the US. I already have a Qi charging pads and hope to re-use them. :)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The G4 is going to blow the S6 out of the water. It's got a better battery, a removable battery, an SD card slot, and two better cameras.

I'm excited for the G4. I felt "meh" with the S6.

Not sure how it's going to "blow" the S6 out of the water, the S6 is a pretty good phone even if you're not excited by it. The fact that it doesn't have replaceable battery/sd card and therefore won't be a good phone has been disproved by the millions of other phones that have sold without them. The G4 will be big, not everyone wants to carry around a massive phone, I certainly don't but I'm waiting in case it turns out to be different than the leaks.

The cameras on the S6 are at the top in the phone arena, maybe the G4 will be better maybe not, but if it is it'll be a marginal improvement not a quantum leap as you're making it sound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hulkjr77