[UK] #TryLGG4 - Ask me your LG G4 questions! (I'm a Nexus 5 user) *3/6/15*

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: [UK] #TryLGG4 - Ask me your LG G4 questions! (I'm a Nexus 5 user) *22/5/15*

What brightness are you using? If it's 64% like on one of your earlier screenshots, it's no wonder the battery life is poor (I generally keep my G3 at 20-25%, with Auto onn if I'm outside for an extended period of time).

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

How quickly does the quick camera launch work? Is it s6 fast?

I'd say it's about 2-3 seconds to load after the swipe to Camera mode. I've never tried the S6, but have seen videos - I'm pretty sure the S6 is half that time. But to be honest, I don't think 2-3 seconds would really bother anyone.... it's quite a minor factor for me.

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

What brightness are you using? If it's 64% like on one of your earlier screenshots, it's no wonder the battery life is poor (I generally keep my G3 at 20-25%, with Auto onn if I'm outside for an extended period of time).

I'm usually from 40% and upwards. I do a lot of photo editing personally and for work on my phone - so need to see the 'real' colours and brightness of photos.

As someone else mentioned, I suspect the battery is going a little faster than usual because I am roaming with Three's Feel at Home. I am in Italy for a few days and from what I understand - Feel at Home 'borrows' other networks, so it keeps switching to the nearest cell tower.

If I was on my Nexus 5, my battery would be even further gone at this point.

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

It takes time for the OS to "settle in."
My guess - searching for signal is draining the battery. Also I'd like to see what the page further down...which components are using what % of battery.

The image quality is pretty amazing, especially the corner sharpness. Light is good so not the most stringent test. But looking in the shadows - at this medium resolution looks Ok and corner sharpness looks excellent. I think I'll be leaving my DSLR at home more often!

I agree, I think it's the signal as I am roaming with Three's Feel at Home.

I also agree about image quality - I did not expect this phone to have as good images as it's been producing 'out of the box'. I purposely bought a high-end Sony compact camera (RXIII M3) to send raw photos to my phone via NFC, but this phone is making me question that purchase!!!!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I'd say it's about 2-3 seconds to load after the swipe to Camera mode. I've never tried the S6, but have seen videos - I'm pretty sure the S6 is half that time. But to be honest, I don't think 2-3 seconds would really bother anyone.... it's quite a minor factor for me.

I'm talking about double clicking volume down on the back. It launches the cam and snaps a pic but I think you can turn off the snap pic feature so double click volume down would launch the camera.

On the s6 you double click the home button from anywhere even locked to launch the camera. It launches instantly.

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm talking about double clicking volume down on the back. It launches the cam and snaps a pic but I think you can turn off the snap pic feature so double click volume down would launch the camera.

On the s6 you double click the home button from anywhere even locked to launch the camera. It launches instantly.

Apologies - thought you meant from Swipe. I'd say from the volume down button, it's a similar time but includes the photo being taken :)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Can you confirm that you can turn the option to auto take a photo off?

Apologies - thought you meant from Swipe. I'd say from the volume down button, it's a similar time but includes the photo being taken :)

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! Once it's off can you still double click the down volume to launch? I need to find a video of this.

Yep, it will launch the same, but won't take the pic. Here's a video. You can tell it hasn't taken a photo because you'd usually see a little preview of the photo you just took in the bottom corner - instead nothing happens after the camera switches on.

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Here it is next to an iPhone 5S and Nexus 5. Apologies for poor quality.... since these phones are my only cameras around :p

Photo on 23-05-2015 at 22.50.jpg

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

Yep, it will launch the same, but won't take the pic. Here's a video. You can tell it hasn't taken a photo because you'd usually see a little preview of the photo you just took in the bottom corner - instead nothing happens after the camera switches on.

http://youtu.be/0BG_cX7tU2Y

The launching of the camera was 1 second max.

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site

So it's been a couple of days since my last update, apologies as I was in Italy. I'm now back, so will no longer be roaming.

So after a total of 5 days with the phone, here's what I think so far:

- Camera is brilliant. Both front and back. The shutter speed is impressive, and the laser focus does a great job at catching what you want within the few seconds it takes to capture a photo.
- Double tap volume down to turn on camera when screen is locked is awesome.
- The screen is really quite amazing, which kind of sucks because I want it at a high brightness setting all the time to really enjoy it.
- Dual window is pretty handy, especially when you need to check two things at the same time.
- I am really liking the phone size. I was very skeptical and previously opposed larger phones, but actually think it's a good size.
- I still find it a little awkward to have buttons on the back of the phone, especially when it is on the table.
- Battery life has lasted me almost a full day - but please bear in mind that I was roaming, so it was probably using more power than usual. Will try it tomorrow as I'm back home now.
- Quite a few different 'smart settings' that are handy, such as certain apps opening when you're at home.

I'll attach some photos shortly.

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: [UK] #TryLGG4 - Ask me your LG G4 questions! (I'm a Nexus 5 user) *26/5/15*

Some battery stats from today. I'm usually on 4/3G at work and on WiFi at home in the morning and evening.

uploadfromtaptalk1432757321831.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432757330109.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432757344850.jpg

stefstefs4

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: [UK] #TryLGG4 - Ask me your LG G4 questions! (I'm a Nexus 5 user) *26/5/15*

A few days since my last update, apologies! Today's thoughts are a little negative - as I've been using it as my main phone.

I've noticed several hiccups in terms of smoothness when I run multiple apps. I know the Nexus 5 had some memory leak issues in the past, but after recent software updates, I feel it handled multiple apps a little better.

The apps I notice a bit of lag/slowdown on are Chrome and The Guardian app.

I also find the swipe down quick menu to be very irritating. The stock Android version is far easier and quicker.... without needing to swipe left and right to simply find things like Airplane mode or Auto Rotate.

Another gripe I'm having is the auto-brightness. It seems to remain pretty low when I'd expect it to be brighter.... so this means I barely get to use the brilliant screen's full potential.

Battery wise, TBH I am not getting great life out of it. I use it about the same as when I had my Nexus 5, and I get home with almost the same remaining battery. About 15-25%. I am usually on 4G all day until I get home from work.

Another mini annoyance is the default LG dialer. It's not as convenient/easy to use as Google's.

I'll attach more photos later.