Migration from G3 to G4 - LG Backup

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I first used LG Backup when I upgraded to Lollipop on my G3 to restore everything. I'm pleased to report that it did a perfect job of migrating settings and apps from the G3 to G4! It was a concern - 32bit OS to 64bit in the G4, but no worries!

When you first power up the G4, ok to fill in your main Google user name and password and let it do it's thing.

1. The G3 - backup
There are two options:
Copy data to a new device
Backup & Restore [use this!]
  • Select "Backup & Restore" - the second option.
  • I skipped the data, and checked off everything else. The program doesn't like big 4Gb + files.
  • It may take a few moments to make all options available. Check off all items.
  • I then used a PC and USB cable to copy the backup directory from the G3 SD to the SD on the G4.

2. The G4 - restore
  • Open LG backup.
  • Again use "Backup and Restore"
  • It will find your backup from the G3 on the SD card.
  • Select all types. There's a warning about destroying data on the target. Go ahead. It will only write over some of the stuff that Google attempted to restore from your account,
  • Let it rip!

The following will be restored:
  • Call logs
  • SMS and MMS messages (I use default sms app)
  • Settings such as main screen and almost every app with data. For example, I use K9 email and it restored my various email accounts perfectly!

In summary, for LG users - LG backup does a great job. No need for other tools like Titanium backup, and the G4 isn't rooted yet so that's not a complete option anyway for now.

If you have anything to add, please do!

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I used LG Backup Service to copy from G3 to G4, using Wi-Fi Direct. Slow but sure. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Same question as above.

Also, I have KitKat on my G2, and Lollipop on the future G4, is it safe to do the backup/restore from G2 to G4?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use this service. Starting fresh. It's an excellent option though!

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Between Lollipop's transfer and LG Backup everything came over smoothly from the M8. Didn't take long either, surprisingly. One thing that was interesting was I was at home and the phones found each other via Wifi, even though it said it was Wifi Direct. When I left the house the phones stopped transferring. I reconnected (took a few tries) and then it truly made a wifi direct connection and went a lot faster.

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Can you clarify something for me?

You say you didn't backup the data however it seems all the data was somehow restored (like your email accounts and stuff). Can you tell me how that's possible? I'm getting the G4 today and am very excited.

Thanks

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Can you clarify something for me?

You say you didn't backup the data however it seems all the data was somehow restored (like your email accounts and stuff). Can you tell me how that's possible? I'm getting the G4 today and am very excited.

Thanks

By Data I meant "Media Data" - mp3's, docs, pdf's etc. There's an option for that. I chose not to back that up since I can easily do it in other ways. But if you have the space check off everything. Also, there was an update since my first post so the menu options are a little different than I described.

One caveat - I don't install apps on the sd card. I assume that will be ok.

Please report back and let us know how it goes!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I moved from the Droid turbo to the G4...but, I have an LG G Pad 8.3, and I was able to use LG backup from that to the G4 for things that are on the tablet and my phone.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how it restored apps and data.

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I just can't seem to get it to work..................I keep getting "backup failed" during the process of backing up personal data. I thought maybe it was my sd card so I swapped it out for another and the same thing keeps happening. It doesn't get past 4%.

Of course, I restarted the phone. I also tried putting the phone into airplane mode so nothing can disturb it.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I just can't seem to get it to work..................I keep getting "backup failed" during the process of backing up personal data. I thought maybe it was my sd card so I swapped it out for another and the same thing keeps happening. It doesn't get past 4%.

Of course, I restarted the phone. I also tried putting the phone into airplane mode so nothing can disturb it.

Try without media data. If still fails post your exact steps. Also use LOCK if it's an option. In the latest version I don't think it's present.

Last edited:

igotthepowers

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Between Lollipop's transfer and LG Backup everything came over smoothly from the M8. Didn't take long either, surprisingly. One thing that was interesting was I was at home and the phones found each other via Wifi, even though it said it was Wifi Direct. When I left the house the phones stopped transferring. I reconnected (took a few tries) and then it truly made a wifi direct connection and went a lot faster.

Hey, thanks for this post. What do you mean by "everything"? I am primarily concerned with the stuff not covered by the google cloud, including SMS/MMS, call logs, app data (if not necessarily the apps themselves).

I am going to migrate from a Samsung Note 3 running lollipop on Sprint to a G4 on Verizon. I was interested in using Helium but have read elsewhere it is a no go for the G4. Don't mind using PC if needed or makes things quicker. Just want to be as thorough as possible.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey, thanks for this post. What do you mean by "everything"? I am primarily concerned with the stuff not covered by the google cloud, including SMS/MMS, call logs, app data (if not necessarily the apps themselves).

I am going to migrate from a Samsung Note 3 running lollipop on Sprint to a G4 on Verizon. I was interested in using Helium but have read elsewhere it is a no go for the G4. Don't mind using PC if needed or makes things quicker. Just want to be as thorough as possible.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Well for me, the Tap & Go thing had the G4 download whatever apps were on my Nexus 6. Then I installed LG Backup on the Nexus and it brought over my call logs and text messages (minus MMS & group messages.... Seems none of them can transfer those). App data didn't transfer but that wasn't a big deal since it usually doesn't. It would have brought over the music and pictures I had stored on the phone but I preferred to do that manually. When I did this process with my wife's G4 coming from the One M8 it brought all that over as well. So I'd say it's pretty thorough.

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I tried a few more times and finally did get it to work.

I would say that about 90% of app data transferred successfully which is much better than I expected. Seems the programs with large app data/files (like facer for android watches) didn't transfer.

All in all it's by far the best solution available - thanks for your posts and contributions to threads!

igotthepowers

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I tried a few more times and finally did get it to work.

I would say that about 90% of app data transferred successfully which is much better than I expected. Seems the programs with large app data/files (like facer for android watches) didn't transfer.

All in all it's by far the best solution available - thanks for your posts and contributions to threads!

when you say "it worked" do you mean the LG Backup? just wanted to make sure as several others things were referred to in this thread including tap n go, etc. thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa