G8 (2 x G4) - Verizon + International

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Verizon G4 and the International G4. Overall, they are similar, but some things I noticed:

-Verizon is missing smart settings
-Verizon is missing change profile option (guest account).
-Verizon has a printed screen protector installed (International has a clear one, which can be used as a cheap screen protector.
-Verizon version cannot change themes.
-Verizon version is missing smart world, though it an be side loaded.
-Verizon version cannot add fonts, though you can do it if you side load smart world.
-Verizon version doesn't have fm radio.
-Verizon has the Verizon logo stamped into the black leather.
-The Verizon one retains the adjustments to auto brightness (something that my Galaxy devices lacked)
-The sim slot on the International one has a recess at the top, which makes it easier to remove.
-Verizon one didn't have the 100gb Google Drive credit
-Verizon has 2.4/5ghz hotspot. International unlocked (h815) only has 2.4 ghz

That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone has any questions about the differences, let me know.

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Not that I know but there was a note elsewhere about the LG smart world app being missing. Apparently this is where themes and fonts come from? Id really like to switch the system font now and again.

I'd also like a similar report on the AT&T version.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not that I know but there was a note elsewhere about the LG smart world app being missing. Apparently this is where themes and fonts come from? Id really like to switch the system font now and again.

I'd also like a similar report on the AT&T version.

You can side load smart world. Doing so let's you add new fonts. Themes can be installed, but not applied.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4473143

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: G4 on Verizon? Here's what you're missing out on

well shoot, we posted up at the same time lol. Go ahead and delete mine Mr Ambassador haha

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, all of Verizon LTE phones are GSM (only) unlocked. The FCC required that when they granted Verizon the LTE bands.
Be aware, however, the Verizon still locks their firmware, so while the phone can work on other GSM networks (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc), many will not be able to use MMS and internet tethering, etc. I've tried several Verizon phones in the last year and it was true for those and I returned them within the time limit for a full refund.

Fred

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Can someone elaborate on the missing custom lock screen? What I am mainly concerned about is if setting a separate wallpaper for lock screen and homescreen still works..
Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

trade67

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
But on the annoying additions side, in your face WiFi pop-up is still there though! I'm assuming only the Verizon version has that.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I know they want you to stream radio using precious data (and making them more money) but the practice of removing/disabling the FM radio chip is dangerous. In an emergency situation (weather/terrorism/disaster of some sort) when you are out and networks are down, you need FM for public advisory broadcasts. Yes, even Verizon's snowflakey network can go down and their users will be in the dark because they turned off the FM function. Nice.

I hope carriers get sued into oblivion over this. There is absolutely ZERO reason to disable the FM radio outside of profit mongering for data charges.

I can understand if the hardware doesn't have it to begin with, but to have it and have the carrier consciously turn it off...well, that's shady as hell.

Ridiculous. I hope some ambulance chaser starts a class action lawsuit. Or we can wait on a huge tragedy for people to care. It will happen.

boxa72

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
You could always turn Cell Broadcast on but then your still at the whim of Verizon

Posted via the Android Central App with the amazing Galaxy S6

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But on the annoying additions side, in your face WiFi pop-up is still there though! I'm assuming only the Verizon version has that.

What is that? The notification about what's around? You may be able to turn that off under advanced settings in wifi.

trade67

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I had it disabled and still could swear it popped up recently. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. My Droid DNA had the same annoying pop-up and I couldn't find anything in the settings to turn it off. Perhaps, I need to go back and check again there. Thanks for the tip!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had it disabled and still could swear it popped up recently. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. My Droid DNA had the same annoying pop-up and I couldn't find anything in the settings to turn it off. Perhaps, I need to go back and check again there. Thanks for the tip!
Make sure to go to advanced and turn off wifi notifications as well

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Can you check to see if the Verizon has LG Backup?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/532928-migration-g3-g4-lg-backup.html

On my H815 I loved the clear screen protector. In fact I never took it off! On the H811 T-Mobile version the decent plastic protector is identical - except printed on like the Verison, thus making the setup and a day of use with the protector frustrating to say the least!

Great thread!

I have both the Verizon G4 and the International G4. Overall, they are similar, but some things I noticed:

-Verizon is missing smart settings
-Verizon is missing change profile option (guest account).
-Verizon has a printed screen protector installed (International has a clear one, which can be used as a cheap screen protector.
-Verizon version cannot change themes.
-Verizon version is missing smart world, though it an be side loaded.
-Verizon version cannot add fonts, though you can do it if you side load smart world.
-Verizon version doesn't have fm radio.
-Verizon has the Verizon logo stamped into the black leather.
-The Verizon one retains the adjustments to auto brightness (something that my Galaxy devices lacked)
-The sim slot on the International one has a recess at the top, which makes it easier to remove.

That's all I can think of for now, but if anyone has any questions about the differences, let me know.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech