Verizon only offering $148 trade in for the g4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Was looking to get rid of my g4 and was a bit shocked at how low the g4 trade in value is on Verizon.

uploadfromtaptalk1437325330833.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That is interesting. I just went and checked out of few phone trade values just to compare. About the only phones worth anything in trade to them are iPhone and Galaxy. Even those are far below market. I can never understand why someone would basically give away a phone on a trade in.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Wow, that hurts if you were to use that program.

You made me curious, so I checked a few others.

Galaxy S3, 16GB, blue: $38
Galaxy S5, blue: $145
Galaxy S6, 32GB, black: $400 (!!)
Note 4, black: $235
LG G2, black: $51
LG G3, black: $101

It seems kind of rough that a Galaxy S3, 3 years old, is worth $100 less than a brand-new G4, and that an S5 is still worth more than a G4.

If this is simply supply/demand (or effectively a "popularity contest"), which is reasonable, then I suppose it's understandable. But still, that is a big hit on the LG devices, particularly the huge disparity between the G4 and the S6 value.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I can never understand why someone would basically give away a phone on a trade in.

When my wife upgraded her Verizon iPhone last fall to a 5S, we turned in her 4S. I think they gave her $100 for it, though I could be wrong. That seemed pretty decent, so we turned it in.

But it did occur to me afterwards that now they've got you stuck, if you break your new phone. Let's say you lose/destroy your new one. If you don't have the insurance, you're going to pay full price for a replacement, since you're still in the middle of your contract. And that's expen$ive.

But if you had kept your old phone, and gave up the $50-100 you'd get for it, then you at least have a fall-back option. Even if you just use it temporarily while you try to buy a used replacement phone or something.

I kept my S3 when I bought my G4. And I'll probably hang onto it. I'll also probably keep the insurance on my G4, rightly or wrongly. I treat my phones well, but accidents still happen.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have insurance anyway so not really a big deal. But if I didn't have insurance then I would keep an older device as backup. I want to sell the g4 now before the note 5 and moto x comes out and the g4 loses more value,but will probably have to go through Swappa

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That is interesting. I just went and checked out of few phone trade values just to compare. About the only phones worth anything in trade to them are iPhone and Galaxy. Even those are far below market. I can never understand why someone would basically give away a phone on a trade in.

It depends on the situation. Verizon gave me $470 for my s6e 64gb. I checked Swappa and a s6e 64gb would be around $550. But mine had a scratch so I knocked off $50-100. Then factoring in Swappa fee, PayPal fee, and Shipping costs, it seemed to be a wash,or even a loss to go Swappa.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the situation. Verizon gave me $470 for my s6e 64gb. I checked Swappa and a s6e 64gb would be around $550. But mine had a scratch so I knocked off $50-100. Then factoring in Swappa fee, PayPal fee, and Shipping costs, it seemed to be a wash,or even a loss to go Swappa.
There are definitely situations where it makes sense. If it's close and saves time then it makes sense to just do the trade. I was more referring to the situation where they want to give you $100 and it can be sold for $300. That is the more common situation. My mother in law got $200 for her iPhone 5 a few months back. I told her to take the trade. I couldn't believe it. It's just rare that it happens like that.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Android never holds its value.. iPhones yes, android,no unfortunately, I attribute that to,the sheer volume of oem's and the fact that new android phones come out with such high frequency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Android never holds its value.. iPhones yes, android,no unfortunately, I attribute that to,the sheer volume of oem's and the fact that new android phones come out with such high frequency.

Yeah just a little shocked because I got a decent amount for my s6e.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

The s6 is holding its value nicely and it was released before the g4.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
$720 phone gets you $290 in flawless condition. iPhone six a year old gets $380-425

IPhones still hold their value better. But, a Verizon s6 32gb is $600 full retail and Verizon will give you $403 trade in which is pretty good, imo, for those who don't want an iPhone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Swappa mint Verizon s6 is $460 - $10 Swappa - $12 shipping - $14 PayPal,which leaves you at $424. So trade in isn't too bad, for the s6 . sure you get more on Swappa but also more hassle. And this is assuming mint. A good condition will net less, and possibly even less than trade in after fees and Shipping.

uploadfromtaptalk1437398013567.jpg

vic6string

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it was T-Mo that was selling new G4's for $479 recently. Taking that price into consideration, it means they will have trouble selling refurbs for anything more than maybe 400. Take into account that the phone needs to be looked at by a tech, cleaned up, might have technical issues like a bad battery that would need replacing, etc before it can be sold as a refurb (all of which costs money). That price is about fair. You will never get as much for a phone like that on a trade in as you would selling it outright to someone on eBay or Craigslist.

iPhones are a different story, mainly because 1. They sell quicker as refurbs (if you want an iPhone, there is no choice involved... no competition) and 2. When refurbishing an iPhone, it is unlikely that any parts will have to be ordered as they keep all parts in stock at all times. They can't keep spare parts for all android phones because there are just too many models (even if they just keep parts in stock for "flagships", that is about a dozen models a year ..G4, HTC One, GS6 & edge, Note, Nexus, Moto X, Zen, etc.)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
iPhone's hold their value the best, BUT Verizon will never give you the full value you are always better off selling on swappa, iMore MP, or ebay.

I just checked my 6 Plus and they offered 415, which isn't anywhere NEAR enough! I paid almost twice that, and the swappa value is around 650.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leopeva64