How widespread is the touchscreen issue, should I get a different phone?

A

AC Question

How widespread is the touchscreen issue, should i get a different phone

I bought a G4 this weekend, and i have had to turn it in already for touchscreen issues. My second device is exhibiting the same issue. Is it worth getting a third LG handset?
The information online says the issue hasn't been narrowed down to software/hardware yet, and i am a little nervous to wait if out only to find out it is a hardware issue.

I am coming from an M7, worst issue i had with that was battery drain ( after 2 years) and some performance issues recently. I am avoiding the M9 because of the camera.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: How widespread is the touchscreen issue, should i get a different phone

I've gotten the impression that it's not typically specific to the physical handset you're using. That is, swapping out will likely show the same behavior.

This is my 3rd Verizon G4, I think they've all been pretty similar with missed taps. I just installed Verizon's software update, 611A, but if it made an improvement with missed taps, then it's subtle.

Some people have installed software to help with the touchscreen. SGBoost, or something like that, has been mentioned. I haven't explored this stuff myself. I am hoping the hardware is fine, and the software just needs to be tweaked in order to improve the touchscreen performance.

The other aspects of the G4 that I like outweigh the touchscreen issues for me, so I'm planning to stay with mine.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I bought a G4 this weekend, and i have had to turn it in already for touchscreen issues. My second device is exhibiting the same issue. Is it worth getting a third LG handset?
The information online says the issue hasn't been narrowed down to software/hardware yet, and i am a little nervous to wait if out only to find out it is a hardware issue.

I am coming from an M7, worst issue i had with that was battery drain ( after 2 years) and some performance issues recently. I am avoiding the M9 because of the camera.

What is the model #/carrier? Do you have a screen protector installed?

Jim Waldsmit

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

It's only a problem with a few select carriers but the updates should have fixed it... I'm on sprint and have had no issues with the screen

Posted via the Android Central App

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

AT&T here and my G4 constantly misses taps, especially when locked, its infuriating some times when it takes 4 plus tries to unlock my device.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site

My G4 is on Verizon. It misses a tap from time to time. It real really doesn't bother me. That said i have a glass like screen protector on it and keep it in an Otterbox Defender, I would think a missed tap with all this protection is par for the course and certainly nothing I can't live with.

Posted via the Android Central App using my LG G4

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

The Common Issues and Solutions sticky ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/544443-common-issues-solutions.html ) has a section of thread links for Touchscreen issues, including information about SGS Screen Booster.

As a side note, I'm having pretty well no touchscreen issues... but I really do think it's a matter of perspective, depending on what phone you're coming from. My old phone was a Note2 with a gazillion issues, so when I use the G4 it seems so smooth and enjoyable to use that I'm likely overlooking the occasional tap issue. The one problem I'm having with tapping is, I think, a Swiftkey issue, and I've resolved it by increasing the size of the keys.

Last edited:

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Three weeks on my G4, with Verizon, which updated as soon as I activated it...no issues.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
After some more playing with SGS, I came to the realization that my Swiftkey issue actually was being caused by SGS's overly aggressive touch sensitivity! Just goes'ta'show'ya that SGS will actually improve touch sensitivity; it's very configurable, so you can likely tweak it to help fix issues caused by lacking touch sensitivity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699