G4: the stand-by super star

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I was doing a lot of yard work over the last 2 days, so not much "SOT"... but look at my battery life in this screenshot, nearly 50 hours. The only thing I did was a clear-all of the recent apps whenever I locked the phone. (I have both minimal Google synching and FolderSynch cloud backups running all the time.) That stand-by time is probably twice as good as my old Note 2, even when it's battery was new. My wife's iPhone 5c gets around this type of stand-by time, kudos to Apple for that.

Screenshot_2015-08-03-09-48-54.jpg

I was thinking that I could, if I wanted, squeeze even more stand-by time if I did things like turned off location and data when I didn't need them; I betya that with root and Tasker I could come up with an awesome "put my phone on hold" task button.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple has always been great with stand-by time on their devices, but yeah... The G4 is immortal in stand-by! If I leave mine on with screen off, WiFi-only, still getting all notifications, not clearing any apps or notifications or anything (AKA no interaction at all)... I can squeeze a week out of the darn phone!

Real use, however, didn't stand a chance against my Note 4, which is disappointing and weird, given their stand-by power management seems to be so efficient.

bluemoongreg

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Have you used the debloater tool? Just curious... I used it Friday to kill all the Verizon stuff, & the LG apps I don't use (I do use some of those). Almost can't believe how much it's improved battery life. Wasn't upset with what it was getting before, & frankly didn't expect to see much improvement. Happy to be so wrong :).
It's got me thinking like you; wondering how much more improvement there is to be had by rooting & using tools like Tasker & Greenify.
Now that I know how egregious the carrier bloat is, next phone will be unlocked (carrier bloat-free), have root, or be confirmed to work with the debloater software.

Rfuser

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Have you used the debloater tool? Just curious... I used it Friday to kill all the Verizon stuff, & the LG apps I don't use (I do use some of those). Almost can't believe how much it's improved battery life. Wasn't upset with what it was getting before, & frankly didn't expect to see much improvement. Happy to be so wrong :).
It's got me thinking like you; wondering how much more improvement there is to be had by rooting & using tools like Tasker & Greenify.
Now that I know how egregious the carrier bloat is, next phone will be unlocked (carrier bloat-free), have root, or be confirmed to work with the debloater software.

Rooted with bootloader still locked. On 815. Only able to manage 2.5-3 hrs sot with greenify.

Very disappointed with this compared to note 4.. However standby time is great.

Posted via the Android Central App

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

I haven't yet used the debloater tool, but I suspect that my Canadian H812 model doesn't have the same level of carrier stuff as the US folks; having said that, however, I may decide to install and configure it just because I'd like to be able to testify about another way to improve performance.

With Tasker, my plan is to have a task that runs whenever the phone is locked that shuts down pretty well everything except text messages and phone calls, and then to re-enable it all when the phone is unlocked. I think I'll need root for this, and that's not something I want to approach quite yet.

anon(9582230)

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, even though I have every possible battery hogs disabled, I still lose 4% at night, it's like 9 hours of idle time. Is it normal and what are your overnight loses?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, even though I have every possible battery hogs disabled, I still lose 4% at night, it's like 9 hours of idle time. Is it normal and what are your overnight loses?

Your battery drain during standby is going to depend on how many things you have running on your phone while it sits idle. Frankly, I'd take half a percent/ hour. Mines actually closer to 1%/hour but I have 3 email accounts (all push or exchange), quite a few apps with push notifications, etc.

anon(9582230)

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Your battery drain during standby is going to depend on how many things you have running on your phone while it sits idle. Frankly, I'd take half a percent/ hour. Mines actually closer to 1%/hour but I have 3 email accounts (all push or exchange), quite a few apps with push notifications, etc.
Thanks for your reply, as I said, I have everything disabled, no auto-sync for anything, no notifications, location-wifi-bluetooth-data off, nothing is running in the background except system services. I also have Whatsapp and a few passive games installed, also Google bllatwares are all disabled. No battery saving softwares are used. Cell signal is always full, which is great. What should I do?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, as I said, I have everything disabled, no auto-sync for anything, no notifications, location-wifi-bluetooth-data off, nothing is running in the background except system services. I also have Whatsapp and a few passive games installed, also Google bllatwares are all disabled. No battery saving softwares are used. Cell signal is always full, which is great. What should I do?

How much standby time are you expecting? You lose 4% in 9 hours so extrapolated out that's 225 hours (10 days) of standby.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I remember once, shortly after fully charging my G3, the calculated standby time came up as something over 1,000h....worked it out as 42 days. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How much standby time are you expecting? You lose 4% in 9 hours so extrapolated out that's 225 hours (10 days) of standby.

That's 9.375 days, not 10...but still, nice! And yup, that's pretty much what I'm seeing if I leave the phone be on its own and act as an expensive, energy efficient paperweight.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That's 9.375 days, not 10...but still, nice! And yup, that's pretty much what I'm seeing if I leave the phone be on its own and act as an expensive, energy efficient paperweight.

Sorry, but if it can't do 10 days, it's time to move on to another phone... 😉

These numbers all seem excellent!!

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I had my Galaxy Note 2, it would lose about 4% to 5% per hour on stand by at my work. At the end of the work day, I would be left with about 55%. With the G4, I have about 95% left at the end of the work day. :p Standby time is crazy good on the G4. On the other hand, the screen brightness could really kill the battery life. There is a HUGE difference between 25% brightness and 55% brightness. When I drove to work in the morning in the dark, LUX app set my screen to 25% and I have it on all the time. My car's USB port could power the G4 running Spotify and Waze with screen on and still have positive charge to the battery. On the way back the screen is auto set at 55% running the same 2 apps. I am losing about 1% every 5 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnanthRam