LG G4 heating issue

Mahmoud Nabih

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys, I got a LG G4 Dual Sim international version(no carrier related bloatware).
The phone gets warm with normal usage around the camera and the front ear piece (Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc...) no games or any processor intensive apps and only the mobile data is on along with 0% auto brightness.

I tried using the safe mode to check if it's an app causing it, but still it gets warm however slowly.
The issue is mainly while using mobile data not wifi (probably the heat generation is much slower on wifi)
I played a 720p movie on it and it didn't get warm.
It doesn't get to the point where it shows a warning message people usually get with overheating on their lg g4.
Already done a factory reset, no difference.
I just wanted to know is it happening to everyone or just me.
From what I mentioned does it look like a software or hardware issue? Could a software update fix it?
The thing is I live in Egypt(weather is hot avg of 35 C) and I got it from Dubai, I don't want to send it back there because they will probably say nothing is wrong with the device.

What do you guys recommend doing if you were in my position? Is that a normal behavior for high end devices to get warm easily?

Last edited:

Ordwynac

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine heats up like you mentioned, specifically around the camera when running certain applications. I've had the phone since launch and it has always done this so I've assumed that it is just part of how the phone is built :/ .

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets warm in that area under heavy usage. Specifically when I'm using it and also charging it at the same time

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine gets warm from time to time depending on the usage, this is not uncommon on today's phones...I don't give it a second thought. Electronics generate heat, maybe one of our Physics members can state the principle. If it's not an overheating issue where it's causing shut-down then use it and enjoy!

Too much fuss over this heating issue IMO. Touch any electronics device; amplifier, computer, TV, tools, etc, they all generate heat. Physics....

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine gets warm from time to time depending on the usage, this is not uncommon on today's phones...I don't give it a second thought. Electronics generate heat, maybe one of our Physics members can state the principle. If it's not an overheating issue where it's causing shut-down then use it and enjoy!

Too much fuss over this heating issue IMO. Touch any electronics device; amplifier, computer, TV, tools, etc, they all generate heat. Physics....

Absolutely.

I think it comes down to two things:

1. It's a matter of perspective, depending on how your previous phone. My wife came from an iPhone 5c... an under-powered mini-screen toy compared to the G4. I warned her about the heat and that she shouldn't be concerned about it, and the first time it got really hot (when I was transferring all my apps, etc. to the phone using LG Backup) I had her hold the phone so she could see what I was talking about. She said, "Wow, that's hot! Is there something wrong?"
  2. Heat dissipation is something that the G4 probably could have done a better job at. A while back AC Russel used a heat-sensing app ( A look at the One M9, S6 edge, LG G4, and Droid Turbo through the Flir One | Android Central ) to show the heat points on a run of flagships, including the G4. Overall the G4 was equally as hot as some others, but the body was not spreading the heat out evenly so there were more "hot" points instead of a general feeling that the phone was merely "very warm".

Mahmoud Nabih

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
well my previous device was a note 8 inch phablet, it only got warmer by graphics rich games or something.
Technically this is my first high end device, so is it the norm for devices with high resolution and battery consuming hardware to get warm with normal usage? If I stay on Facebook for a couple of minutes or the camera for example it gets warm. Honestly speaking it's just doesn't feel right when you just are checking your newsfeed for a couple of minutes and feel heat in your pocket once you put it in.
Also the heat is around the top of the screen which as time goes might damage the camera/earpiece/sensors and so.
I don't know but I think it could be fixed with a software update it doesn't look like a hardware defect(since it's happening to almost everyone)
I'm just worried that LG just forget that they have a Dual sim version and they stop rolling out updates for it(as it's only sold in a couple of countries)

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the G3 I know what overheating was I had 3 different G3's and the last one turned out the best thankfully.
But I was given the chance to try out the G4 and I have got to say this is a solid device, I have the H815 and it never overheats, it might get warm but no where near the heat my G3's put out.
I have it rooted, xposed and modded and it handled everything like it should have.
If you have overheating issues with your G4, this is not normal and you should send it in for replacement.
Mine hasn't peaked 125F yet so everything is good.

Mahmoud Nabih

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I've just received the 10f update and I installed it, people said it improved touchscreen performance as well as fixing the heating issue.
But mine still gets warm. I've captured the temperature on CPU Z in the room temp(no AC)(Lowest temp), the temp after antutu benchmark test (medium temp) and the temp after antutu's stability test.(highest one)
Screenshot_2015-09-24-17-05-51.jpg Screenshot_2015-09-24-17-10-34.jpg Screenshot_2015-09-24-17-26-27.jpg
those screenshots were taken before the installing of the 10f version
Could it be Egypt's hot weather and humidity plus the Verus case suffocating the device and speeds the heat generation?:':)'(

benchph

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
^most probably because of the weather in your country. Plus if you have a case then in restricts the natural flow of heat.

Mine is an H815. Experienced heating up a fair bit of times. But mostly when playing games.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Are you running the latest firmware? On my T-Mobile device, it's running much cooler since the update that came out earlier this month. Hopefully, you will see the same result

Mahmoud Nabih

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Well like I mentioned I received the v10f update yesterday and I tested the device to check for improvements.
With the normal usage I do everyday the device definitely does't generate heat as much as it did before the update however it's still not handling it as I would hope. People mentioned that this update brings better touchscreen to be honest I always blame myself if I miss click or something so I can't really tell if it has improved or not.
But I can be satisfied and relieved to know that it's not a faulty device it appears to be this is how theses devices work and given the hot weather and being stuck in the Verus Verge case the device has the right to get warm.

Also I've seen a comment on other thread a guy was saying that they probably underclocked the cpu to generate less heat but I don't think this is what they did. According to Antutu benchmark the device scored 46758 before the update and scored 47092 afterwards, I don't really know how do those benchmarks work but hey! at least the score improved slightly.

Anyway guys thanks for your help and opinions, one thing I'm sure of is that LG will always try to fix and improve the software and hopefully android M will be something else. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the LG G4 I'd be more than happy to help :)

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if maybe it just has a hard time getting a radio signal. I've always noticed that my phones tend to heat up if they have a hard time getting a good signal, such as in a bad coverage area or a crowded place like an arena/Stadium. I bring this up since you mentioned that it seemed to happen when you weren't on wifi.

As far as the numbers from that screen shot they definitely start to get a little high when they reach the 50 degrees C range. I've found that it's normal to get into the low 40's.

Also one thing to keep in mind is that phones heat up in two different places: the battery and the processor.

Mahmoud Nabih

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Yeah it's definitely a factor weak or intermittent signal (3G we don't even have 4G here in Egypt :'D) makes the device get hotter faster. But it used to get hotter in locations with good coverage as well, not as fast though.
I'll just gonna wait till winter and see how it performs. With the latest update it should act normally in a decent weather.
The heat is mostly in the top side of the phone not the battery, I just hope it doesn't ruin any hardware part.

geeyesgee

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I had G3 and recently switched over to G4 and as far as heating is concerned, G4 is much better than G3. Many of the causes for heating problems were addressed in G4 and still you can expect further improvements in the software updating. You can install Clean Master App which has tons of features. It would caution you when device gets overheated and it would even diagnose and help you to disable apps that are causing heat. One of the best app.

Iftekar Hossain

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem where it overheats a lot very quickly (like within 10 minutes) both when using or charging and it isn't like regular heating, It's really really hot. Also, my battery life is massively affected, it goes from 100 to 0 in about an hour or in rare cases 90 minutes. I even did a factory reset. Kept my phone off for a day at 0% and yes I turned it off and on again but nothing worked. My LG G4 is H818P. Please help me!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have this problem where it overheats a lot very quickly (like within 10 minutes) both when using or charging and it isn't like regular heating, It's really really hot. Also, my battery life is massively affected, it goes from 100 to 0 in about an hour or in rare cases 90 minutes. I even did a factory reset. Kept my phone off for a day at 0% and yes I turned it off and on again but nothing worked. My LG G4 is H818P. Please help me!

What version are you running. Are you on WiFi or cellular data when it happens. Does it happen when you don't have any apps installed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87