over heating

medic078

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
So as a follow up to my previous post, telus rplaced my g4 that was overheating with a new phone. I thhought this was great, except that within a few hours of use this new phone also began getting crazy hot and draining my battery to near 0. It gets so bad that when the battery gets below 5 % it wont even charge unless i power the phone completly off. Frustrated like hell and now i'm overheating. Never had an issue the first 5 months i had it.

Posted via the Android Central App

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So as a follow up to my previous post, telus rplaced my g4 that was overheating with a new phone. I thhought this was great, except that within a few hours of use this new phone also began getting crazy hot and draining my battery to near 0. It gets so bad that when the battery gets below 5 % it wont even charge unless i power the phone completly off. Frustrated like hell and now i'm overheating. Never had an issue the first 5 months i had it.

Didn't you hear about LG's new feature for Canadians, eh? It's so cold up there in Canada, the G4 can now act as a handwarmer, eh. Comes in handy when Canadians go ice fishing, eh. :)

Edit: this reminded me of my really old Nokia phone. It had a "vibrator" app which turns on the phone's internal vibrator(the one that vibrates when a call comes in). It leaves the vibrator on continuously and works great as a neck massager. apparently it's still in the Nokia app store: http://nokia-appstore.store.aptoide.com/app/market/com.xappso.massager/1/5304855/Body%20Massager

All kidding aside... did you try the new G4 without logging into anything and keeping it in airplane mode? Does it still heat up?

Last edited:

blademael

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I had a S4 that was acting like that and it was my sim card that caused this problem, replaced it and after it was ok.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a S4 that was acting like that and it was my sim card that caused this problem, replaced it and after it was ok.

perhaps that SIM card was issued by Mission Impossible and it was supposed to initiate a self meltdown after the first call?

medic078

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the rogue app, ive deleted a bunch. The only thin can come up with is maybe there is a bad file in my sd back up that i reload each time i get anew phone (on 3rd and issue continues) so it must be in there somewhere. About to try last resort, i dumped that back up file and am now gonna do a factory reset and just manually reload everything. A pain in the *** but don't know what else to do. The warranty folks have been great but i doubt they are gonna keep sending me new phones every 2 days. I love this device (when it works ) but this stuff makes me long at times for my z10. Sigh.

medic078

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
So now.on my 3 rd new device and guess what??...hotter than blazes and total crap battery with a new simm card and blank sd card, 3 phones in less than 9 days,,.what the heck is going on.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Restart the phone into Safe Mode and run it for a while. If you don't have any issues, and then you have a software problem and you will need to slowly load apps until you find the problem.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Restart the phone into Safe Mode and run it for a while. If you don't have any issues, and then you have a software problem and you will need to slowly load apps until you find the problem.

I did a little test while playing a YouTube 720p video. I used an infrared the check the back of the G4. I started up the video and left the G4 in cradle.

Temperature readings:

0:00 77 degrees(just before video starts)
1:00 87 degrees
3:00 98 degrees
5:00 115 degrees
9:00 121 degrees (video ends here)

I picked up the G4 and it was really warm to my hand. It was a little scary because I've never held a smartphone that got this warm. (although all of my other phones are Samsung phones... Note 2/3/4/5 and S5/6... tested all of them side by side with the G4 and none of the Samsungs got to be more than 91 degrees when playing the same video)

Edit: after the video stopped, I left the G4 on the table for about 30 minutes. When I checked the temperature again, it went down to 76 degrees.

For reference, this is the YouTube video that I used for this test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LebPal5gKrc

Last edited:

medic078

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems it was the Microsoft echange. I couldn't add all off my emails and it seemed to be caught in a loop even when i exited it. Still always seemed it was using the most battery. I disabled the exchange app, cleared all caches and data then just fwd' both hot mails do,t gmail account. Ben three days and getting close,to 10+ hours on the battery and cool as can be.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to test it on my wife's g4 but on my MXPE it got to 93 degrees using gsam battery monitor.

I was only measuring the surface temperature on the back of the G4. I used a handheld infrared thermometer.

Just did another test. This time, I played a 640x480 low-resolution MKV using MX Player. The brightness was set to 50%. I left it propped up against a can of sardines(only thing on the table at the time). I left the room and came back about an hour later. The temperature was 125 to 137. Strangely, the hottest spot(137 degrees) was just below the rear camera lens.

I don't know if I'm brave enough to attempt the same test using a 1080p MKV video encoded at 8000kbps. (or playing YouTube videos at 1440p) :(