Anyone with LG G4 with serial 505 ?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the thing is you called *611 or Verizon Customer Service which requires going through a level 1 tech to do all the diagnostics and then they will transfer you to level 2 support who are the ones that can do the order for phones. If you called Level 2 tech support at 866-892-7957, choose the smartphone option, you will be connected to level 2 directly in less than a minute and they will be able to send you out a phone directly. They are not always refurbs since by law, they have to use the Certified Like New Replacement sticker on it as there is no product packaging when they ship the phones. Just like computer hard drives, they have to label it as refurb even when it's brand new. You don't even have to keep the phone they send you since they will gladly send you another one while you still have the first replacement in your hand. All they care about at the end is that you only have one phone in your hands, each time I do a replacement, I always do atleast 4-5 replacements because there is always a problem cosmetically and I would swap out the inside parts so that I have good insides first.

The first rep I talked to did the refurb replacement just fine. I think you missed my issue.

I have no problem with a refurb as a warranty replacement in and of itself...I do have a problem with it while I'm paying installments on a *new* G4 that died due to manufacturer defect.

And if I had to go through "4-5 replacements" under that same condition...

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I know what your issue is but not too sure what Verizon's obligation is for the 2 year term that you pay them in installments actually is other than the warranty unless it's like leasing a car where they are responsible for fixing the entire term. Not sure how it even works legally because technically, when you bought the phone, it was a new device that later failed which is outside their return policy period so their only obligation is really to repair or replace under the 12 month manufacturers warranty period unless you had the extended warranty aka Total Equipment Coverage since you're paying only for 1/24th of the phone each month while I paid the full price of $649.99 + tax. The 4-5 replacements is not because of electrical defects or functioning of the phone. Since you had the Motorola Droid RAZR HD Maxx, the back as you remember is rubber except the way they ship the phones is basically a folded piece of cardboard with the back of the phone against the cardboard and then there is this plastic wrap that when you fold the box, it basically stretches the plastic wrap over the front of the phone so the phone can still slide, most of the time on the 4 replacements, the back got little marks or scratches on the back side of the phone so it was more of a cosmetic issue that if they used something to wrap the phone, none of this would have happened. Hopefully they send you a good unit and make sure to thoroughly test it before sending anything back to them. Also, can you let me know if they actually ship the battery and the back cover since it seems like one can just use the one from the existing phone. You're right that the reps can all send replacements which was what happened with my first replacement except they said that if something bad happened with the phone they got back and you get charged, they can't do anything about it as they do not have the same weight as the level 2 reps do since they are more basic troubleshooters and don't have those other forms but your phone completely died so that's a different issue. They are pretty strict and you will know what I mean when you get the replacement. In any case, had to look this up and the policy for you is the same as if you paid for a phone at once, all you are really getting is to make monthly payments without getting charged interest, the end result is you pay exactly the same. Look at Question #8 at the following thread which is the official VZW policy which basically says you only get a new device when exchanged within 14 days of purchase:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m/support/device-payment-faqs/&token=HV85ltx_

If you think about it, it's no different that you go buy anything from a store and charged it to a credit card and make monthly installments, your return policy will always be the store return policy and if it fails within the warranty policy, you can either send it back to the manufacturer as a warranty claim where it's their choice to repair or replace. or in this case, the carrier will handle the warranty for the 1st 12 months regardless where or how you got the phone and you won't have to pay for the shipping the item to them. After 12 months, unless you have Verizon's extended warranty or Total Equipment Coverage which will provide replacements with the same or comparable device for as long as you are paying for the coverage, your other option would be to use the credit card's free 1 year extended warranty and do a claim where you can go and pay for the repair first and they will reimburse you or you can just do a claim and get a check. The only problem is you are doing a monthly installment so their liability is the same amount you charged at the time of purchase which is whatever your monthly payment is as a maximum for reimbursement for the repair or if you do a claim and just wanted a check. That's one reason I don't do installments and just pay for the product outright as you will be paying the same anyways since the only trade-off is you save on the interest you would pay on a credit card but you lose out on the warranty end after the 12 months is over.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/compare-extended_warranties-1273.php

Last edited:

Sanjay Madhava

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I do have an LG with SN 505 but i live in Germany and will get a replacement for free or reimbursement. But i have backed up everything on my SD card, pictures are set to save on the SD card.

hwpeb

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my LG G4 last August, SN unknown, did not check before returning to AT&T last week due to boot failure. The original symptom was the screen going dark while being used and did not turn on using the power button or double tapping the screen. Following this, the phone would boot to LG logo screen and after 30 seconds screen would go dark. The only way to restart the boot process was to pull the battery. AT&T tech support was contacted and after going through troubleshooting steps I was told that a replacement phone is being shipped. It arrived two days later and after restoring using the backup file all is back to normal. The replacement phone has a SN that starts with 505, yikes! I don't have a very comfortable feeling since the AT&T rep mentioned that the warranty period has 213 days remaining. Of course, it would be my luck that the replacement phone fails on day 214. If this is a known problem with the LG G4, SN 505 there should not be an end to the warranty period.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I got my LG G4 last August, SN unknown, did not check before returning to AT&T last week due to boot failure. The original symptom was the screen going dark while being used and did not turn on using the power button or double tapping the screen. Following this, the phone would boot to LG logo screen and after 30 seconds screen would go dark. The only way to restart the boot process was to pull the battery. AT&T tech support was contacted and after going through troubleshooting steps I was told that a replacement phone is being shipped. It arrived two days later and after restoring using the backup file all is back to normal. The replacement phone has a SN that starts with 505, yikes! I don't have a very comfortable feeling since the AT&T rep mentioned that the warranty period has 213 days remaining. Of course, it would be my luck that the replacement phone fails on day 214. If this is a known problem with the LG G4, SN 505 there should not be an end to the warranty period.

Call lg USA and see how long their warranty is for. It could be different from AT&T

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have an H815 505 on Tmob and mine died the bootloop way yesterday. This serial number/505 thing is a real issue and everyone should backup their phones somewhere safe NOW. I purchased the phone in June and never had a single issue or warning sign before this occurred - it WAS the best phone I've ever owned. Learned my lesson and will backup my phones more often going forward! I agree that a refurb on a 'new' installment plan is unfair, and I tried debating this in the store last night and received the same response. So my 'like new' replacement will be here tomorrow and then I plan on promptly taking it to another store to jump to the V10.

LG4theterrible

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Piece of crap phone. Lg g4 with serial# 505. Bricked. I tested this phone with my heating system. It seems that the motherboard overheats and overtime ruins the hardware's components. Purchased on Sept 16 at Best Buy. Not bothering with repair because it was a free renewal phone. I will just buy a Samsung instead. LG is just terrible with smartphones, TVs and every other damn gadget they make nowadays. Stay away from LG.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Piece of crap phone. Lg g4 with serial# 505. Bricked. I tested this phone with my heating system. It seems that the motherboard overheats and overtime ruins the hardware's components. Purchased on Sept 16 at Best Buy. Not bothering with repair because it was a free renewal phone. I will just buy a Samsung instead. LG is just terrible with smartphones, TVs and every other damn gadget they make nowadays. Stay away from LG.
You need to realize that because the G4 have some kind of issue does not mean all G4 are affected. Also I hear good things about LG TV's. They have good reviews in amazon.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Oh please stop it, such drama. Samsung has plenty of issues too. If you don't want any issues stay away from technology.

BTW...505 and still running strong and I'll make a bet that I'm rougher on my phones than anyone here and my case is paper thin.

bitman1

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Good luck :)

The S/N is under the battery (on mine) currently in a jiffy bag being sent back after booting to hell. It was on the dash being charged, I was listening to a podcast, the playback started slowing down (very weird) then it booted...

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine is a 505 too and I've got issue with mainboard. Sent it back to LG, they were busy to sent it off to an authorised repairer, came back nearly a MONTH later and it hadn't even been fixed.

A courier is supposed to be picking it up today but no sign of them yet.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Had anyone else noticed that most of the time when the phones succumb to the bootloop, they are doing something that makes the phone warm, such as charging or CPU usage?

Posted via the Android Central App

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Had anyone else noticed that most of the time when the phones succumb to the bootloop, they are doing something that makes the phone warm, such as charging or CPU usage?

Mine failed after I properly turned off the phone to swap the battery. It never fully turned back on after that. I would get the occasional LG screen and then it would go off. The phone did get warm all the time though. I even would get a notification that the phone was getting too hot and the brightness would decrease to almost nothing. This happened probably once a week for me. The replacement phone I received from Verizon was doing the same thing with getting warm often.

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

From what I've read apparently some parts weren't soldered correctly on the motherboard which caused the solder around the connection to be brittle, a small circular crack forms and when heat gets to it it all expands and then it disconnects causing the issue with the phone.

Some people have managed to recover stuff off their g4s by putting them in the freezer for a bit to contract everything.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read apparently some parts weren't soldered correctly on the motherboard which caused the solder around the connection to be brittle, a small circular crack forms and when heat gets to it it all expands and then it disconnects causing the issue with the phone.

Some people have managed to recover stuff off their g4s by putting them in the freezer for a bit to contract everything.
That's what I had figured. Reading some stuff online has told me about bootlooping issues with the g2 and g3 as well. I was going to suggest that it was the soldering. Mines still going but seeing all the rest of them dropping like flies is making me do backups like crazy.

disney4life2005

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Sprint sn#505 variant since October 1st. It did run warm consistently up till the marshmallow update. It never gave any other issue. Once I got the update there was some battery Flux for a week but smoothed out well. I get a full 12 hours off the plug. Oh, and I bought it at Best Buy

Taking only my G4 and my Re-camera into the Parks.

Bunsen#AC

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Yep. I'm here for the party too. And it did go when it was running hot - playing Real Racing 3 it just jammed up and never recovered. Took it back to Carphone Warehouse and they're supposedly dealing with it (yeah, I'm super-optimistic on that one). Went first my official LG account but they never bothered to get back to me. Serial number #505xxxxx. Let's see how this plays out. We should really be getting replacement phones, not repairs imho.

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for asking, I'm wondering the same thing.
I purchased my G4 from Verizon (model VS986) on June 16th and it's serial 505....

So far, it's working well. Just the standard touch screen issues they were all plagued with.

But I feel like I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb. IF it's going to die, I'd much rather it died now, as in RIGHT NOW, on a Saturday morning, when I can take it in to Verizon, and reactivate my Note 2 backup phone. (Its charged, and eagerly waiting to jump back into service). My fear is that its going to die when I'm on my daily route 150 miles from home. When was the last time anyone saw a phone booth or pay phone?

I'm not wanting to be dishonest, but I'm wondering.. Is there something I can do to make it fail (if its going to) on MY schedule, vs LG's schedule?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty