Cannot mount a USB drive

sean451

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Good day, i was hoping someone could help me out with an issue I am having. I have an LG G4 with the latest android update installed. I also have a 1 TB USB drive that has a bunch of my movies on. In the past with my LG G3 I was able to connect my USB drive with a OTG cable and be able to view all the content on the HD. Ever since I got my LG G4 though i have not been able to do the same thing. At first I thought it was because of the latest android update however I tried connecting my HD to my friends Samsung device which has the latest android update and my friends Nexus 5 and the HD works on both devices. I have tried doing a factory reset thinking maybe i messed up one of the settings. Has anyone had this same issue or can offer me any guidance?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved to the G4 forum, since this sounds like it might be more of a device-specific issue.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a different USB stick with the phone? I wonder if there's a specific compatibility issue with that brand/stick. I've seen reports of AT&T's G4s having OTG issues, to, so that might be a carrier-induced bug as well.

Or it could be that the stick you're using is drawing more power than what the G4 can give, but I don't think this is the case because you've used it with other phones.

Lastly, try checking if your phone DOES support OTG. A few 'OTG Checker' apps are in the Play Store that might help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then it's definitely either a compatibility issue or the 1TB drive needs more power than what the G4 can supply. If the latter is the case, you can get a 'powered' OTG cable that you would plug in one end to the phone and another end to a charger to supply the extra 'juice'. This is needed for most external hard drives, but not a lot of USB 'sticks'.