Recovering deleted photos

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I accidentally deleted a few photos from my phone's SD card this morning. I tried using Recuva to restore them immediately, and it found them and said they were in "excellent" condition, undamaged and not overwritten (which I would expect), but when I try to view them, Windows says they are unreadable. I had good luck with Recuva in the past...is there another file recovery program you guys have had luck with?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
What was the exact wording of the message from Windows?

What kind of files were they? If they were DNG files, Windows might not know what to do with them?
If the files were encrypted, Windows will never be able to "read" them.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
What was the exact wording of the message from Windows?

What kind of files were they? If they were DNG files, Windows might not know what to do with them?
If the files were encrypted, Windows will never be able to "read" them.
Files are JPEGs (according to Properties) range in size from 5,000kb to 13,600kb

First application I tried was the default Windows Photo Viewer, an got message:

"Windows Photo Viewer cannot open the picture because the file appears damaged, corrupted, or is too large"

Second app I tried was Photoshop Elements 7, and got message:

"Could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete)".

Lastly, tried Paint.Net, and got:

"System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)

at PaintDotNet.Data.JpegFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\JpegFileType.cs:line 78

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress