Erica Griffin and Jerry rig everything

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
With a heavy heart I am returning my g5. It was immaculate on the back, but I did have quite a big gap between the chin on both sides. But most of all was the back light bleed. If I would only notice it on a pitch black screen on max brightness in a pitch black room I'd be alright. But still seeing it bad at half brightness in a well lit room is bad. I can't put up with that. I was the biggest G5 fan, so feel pretty gutted. And I have to wait until Monday to send it back too, so will have to wait to get a different phone. :(

Posted via the Android Central App

What are you gonna get instead?

fresca2u

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like some QA problems are present, as I've seen alot of reports like this around the web. However, my silver G5 from Verizon seems fine to me. I just took the case off to have a good look - chin is flush and tight with the body, no gap. No marks on the plastic/slash metal finish. To me, the screen is fine and bright, and looks much nicer than the S4 it replaced. I don't notice any bleed. If there is bleed (and there might be, I don't have the best eyesight), I won't be spending too much time looking for something that will bug the crap out of me if I find it.

Just saying it ain't all bad - I may have won the cellphone lottery and bagged a unicorn. Sorry you guys are having such a miserable experience. :(

Stephen33

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I watched the Erica Griffin video last night, and almost had a meltdown as I had pre-ordered the phone.. I am not noticing the major problems on the back panel, nor do I have a gap along the chin. Would anyone have any idea how to test for light bleeding on the panel? While setting up the phone, I didn't see any noticeable splotches or anything of the sorts on the screen, but I'd like to see if there's anything as atrocious as what Erica had on her screen.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I watched the Erica Griffin video last night, and almost had a meltdown as I had pre-ordered the phone.. I am not noticing the major problems on the back panel, nor do I have a gap along the chin. Would anyone have any idea how to test for light bleeding on the panel? While setting up the phone, I didn't see any noticeable splotches or anything of the sorts on the screen, but I'd like to see if there's anything as atrocious as what Erica had on her screen.

Download an app called "Backlight Bleed Test" then go to a dark room with no light.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
What are you gonna get instead?

Probably the s7 or s7 edge. On my carrier (EE uk) it's basically I phones, Samsung and a few mid range phones. So there isn't much choice. I know the s7 is a brilliant phone, but I was hoping for something a little bit different to everyone else (phone hipster!)

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like some QA problems are present, as I've seen alot of reports like this around the web. However, my silver G5 from Verizon seems fine to me. I just took the case off to have a good look - chin is flush and tight with the body, no gap. No marks on the plastic/slash metal finish. To me, the screen is fine and bright, and looks much nicer than the S4 it replaced. I don't notice any bleed. If there is bleed (and there might be, I don't have the best eyesight), I won't be spending too much time looking for something that will bug the crap out of me if I find it.

Just saying it ain't all bad - I may have won the cellphone lottery and bagged a unicorn. Sorry you guys are having such a miserable experience. :(

Yeah, from reading around I think you are right. You lucky people getting perfect G5s! I'm sure they'll sort it in future builds, but I think lg were in such a rush to get their phone out close to the s7 that a high number than of bad phones got out. Good for you that you got a solid one! I didn't have to look very hard to find light bleed, so if you can't see it, glory be!

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

For me I could see it clearly on my normal home screen with the black home keys and status bar. That's bad. If I were you, if I couldn't see it while normally using it I wouldn't worry about it too much.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Watch both of their unboxing and first few videos about the LG G5.

What is LG doing? They don't seem so serious about manufacturing.

Such a good phone. But...

Not really understanding the title or this thread... Are you saying they rigged their results? not clear.... But from what i've read & seen so far, i think LG missed it by a country mile with their latest flagship... They should have put the "V10" internals in a beautiful metal unibody phone, that would've hit it out of the ballpark for me...

BTC

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks like there's a lot of quality issues with the phone.

You would expect some defective units with mass-produced products, but it shouldn't be this bad.

(I live by 3 words. fastboot flashing unlock)

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Not really understanding the title or this thread... Are you saying they rigged their results? not clear.... But from what i've read & seen so far, i think LG missed it by a country mile with their latest flagship... They should have put the "V10" internals in a beautiful metal unibody phone, that would've hit it out of the ballpark for me...

BTC

No I didn't say that. I said LG dropped the ball this time.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
At this point, LG has a lot of explaining to do.

$600+ phone and it has a bunch of quality issues on more than just a few units.

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Loving mine. I do have slight lightbleed but that's at 100% with the lightbleed app. With MY everyday use, it's not noticeable at all. This is the fastest Android phone I have ever owned, and the camera is awesome. I do wish the phone had more of a 'metal' feel to it, but i'm going to slap a case on it anyway like most people do on a flagship phone.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Loving mine. I do have slight lightbleed but that's at 100% with the lightbleed app. With MY everyday use, it's not noticeable at all. This is the fastest Android phone I have ever owned, and the camera is awesome. I do wish the phone had more of a 'metal' feel to it, but i'm going to slap a case on it anyway like most people do on a flagship phone.

Good to hear something positive. Can you give us a detailed 'positive review' with some comparisons with other devices?

As you might be the one of the few with a non defective unit haha jk.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm starting to think that this phone may have more plastic than we originally thought.

kqD4s8H.jpg JUZowcS.jpg

And yeah, that's JerryRigEverything's G5. He scratched it further.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So for what it's worth, I asked LG's corporate PR team (who we talk to all the time) about this after seeing the JRE video a few days ago. LG's Ken Hong (who I know pretty well, for who may question his legitimacy — YouTube cracks me up sometimes) replied in the YT comments.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyP_cEpp2Zo&lc=z13xhhhazxvkyhu2q23qihewipujznj0g

Short version is that's paint and primer coming off first, before you get to the metal. Here's Ken's comment:

Hey, this is Ken from LG. What you're seeing there is primer, not a plastic cover. As you know, primer is used to get paint to bond to aluminum, which is what we used for the G5's body. The aluminum alloy we sourced is known as LM201b (patent pending) and was developed at the Korea Institute of Industrial Technology for use in automobiles and aircraft. LM201b, unlike the aluminum used in other smartphones, is diecast unibody which makes it very sturdy while still maintaining lightweight properties. We figured out a way to integrate the antenna bands into the aluminum seamlessly so you can't feel the lines and covered the LM201b with primer and paint using a process called microdizing which means that tiny particles of metal are infused in the coating and bonded to the aluminum. I think it's incorrect to say that a product isn't all metal if paint is involved. That's like saying cars and airplanes aren't metal because they're also painted. For the record, even metal that's anodized will scratch off. Our process may be different but it achieved what we were aiming for, which is a smooth, seamless metal finish that's durable and lightweight. We weren't interested in doing what has already been done. When did this become a bad thing?

All that said, I completely agree that the phone doesn't particularly feel like metal. And that makes sense, because you're feeling paint and primer on the outside. The metal's on the inside. I think the marketing lines are definitely a little vague (as they tend to be), and perhaps borderline misleading.

From the current G5 product page: "The LG G5 ... boasts a metal alloy body." And it does. Just, uh, not on the outside. And I think that's pretty apparent the second you pick it up. If if was metal through and through, it'd be about the cheapest metal I'd ever felt.

Ken points folks toward the press release, too. You get lines like "sleek, metal uni-body" and "sleek metal aluminum body."

A more damning line in the presser may be "Third, the 3D Arc Glass featured in the smartphone’s 5.3-inch display creates a gentle curve and a smooth colorful metal surface through an advanced microdizing process which takes anodized aluminum to a whole new level." That's definitely confusing at best.

In addition to vague marketing language, I think part of the problem might be that folks were poring over the press releases and marketing message (which — by the way, are designed to make everything sound great!) before actually holding the phone. For what it's worth, I (and others) did the opposite. We saw the G5 in Barcelona before the press release was sent out.

I'm still working on our review. But I don't mind sharing that it absolutely is going to say that the G5 may be metal unibody, but it definitely feels not like anything you've used from Apple or HTC or Huawei, or even Honor (the Honor 5X has some cheap-feeling metal in the scheme of things).

tl;dr It's metal, coated in primer and paint, as part of this "advanced microdizing process," — which LG never really explained to us in our briefings (even when pushed). Guess we know what that is now.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
tl;dr It's metal, coated in primer and paint, as part of this "advanced microdizing process," — which LG never really explained to us in our briefings (even when pushed). Guess we know what that is now.
Seems to make more sense now.

But the weird thing is the type of primer they used. People who held the G5 seems to echo what I've thought. That the phone doesn't really feel like other metal phones, a prime example being the HTC One series, and many don't seem to like the feel.

I get that LG wants to try something different. But different isn't necessarily better IMO.

Also interested to know if your review unit has backlight bleed issues.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member