Location not updating?

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've started to notice that my new G5 doesn't seem to track my location very well. I notice it usually when I get to work (on the West side of town) and my phone thinks I'm still at home (on the East side). I've made sure location services is on and set to the highest mode of accuracy, and I've turned on the “low power location estimation“ which will apparently make use of Qualcomm's IZat hardware accelerated location (whatever that means). I'm also usually on Wi-Fi when checking, which I believe is supposed to make location even more accurate. Anything I'm missing? Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Posted via Android Central App

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Snag GPS Toolbox and reset and redownload AGPS data. That usually fixes it. It's free.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en&token=prLWhb-b

So this has been interesting. I've tried out this app and it's making me wonder if I have a bad GPS sensor. Most of the time when I open the app, it searches for a GPS lock and never finds one. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. Which falls in line with what I've seen with the weather display sometimes updating to my location and sometimes not. My G4 was great with keeping up with my location, pretty much in real time. Has anyone else seen issues with the G5 gps? Or is your experience different from mine?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has that problem (or used to - I don't know if the newer models do), but it was fixable in software. The LG may be, or it may be a hardware problem. Do you see at least 5 green satellites when you don't get a fix?

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you hit the Menu, Manage A-GPS, Reset, then Download? I've been using this since my Droid Incredible days (2010?) on every phone I've had. If this can't fix it, you probably have a hardware issue (loose screws, loose antenna, bad chip, etc). Good luck!

lindaandjon

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Yes I have this too. We have a G4 and a G5 and in sideby side by side testing in towns the G4 is spot on almost all the time whilst the G5 often has a huge margin of error or can't find us at all. Even in Holland on a clear day in a field it struggled. Not impressed at all with this bit but really like the rest of the phone.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have this too. We have a G4 and a G5 and in sideby side by side testing in towns the G4 is spot on almost all the time whilst the G5 often has a huge margin of error or can't find us at all. Even in Holland on a clear day in a field it struggled. Not impressed at all with this bit but really like the rest of the phone.

That's been exactly my experience. I got really frustrated this last weekend trying to navigate through a city I'd never been in, and it couldn't keep up with me. I ended up getting turned around and took me much longer than necessary to get where I was going. Aside from that, I feel like it's been better since I've been using that GPS Toolbox app, but still subpar overall.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you hit the Menu, Manage A-GPS, Reset, then Download? I've been using this since my Droid Incredible days (2010?) on every phone I've had. If this can't fix it, you probably have a hardware issue (loose screws, loose antenna, bad chip, etc). Good luck!

Yep, I've been doing that a few times per week. It seems to be helping, as I don't have many instances anymore where it can't find my location at all, but it still has a hard time keeping up with real time navigation. I'm beginning to think about taking it to the T-Mobile store. Not sure what they'll be able to do though.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like a bad connection mentioned above (loose screws, loose antenna) - probably not a bad chip since resetting A-GPS data "works", at least for a while. The monkeys at TweenMobile won't be able to do anything, all they know how to do is sell. If it's still under warranty, it probably needs to go in for repairs or a replacement.

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine is having this same issue, very weak GPS and takes ages to get a lock. Was anyone successful in getting a replacement?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Update.....I did a factory reset and things are working fine now. I started out with just the original apps. I was originally having trouble inside my house, but now I'm getting a signal pretty rapidly. I only have trouble inside my building at work which is probably normal because it's old concrete and steel building in New York city. I was also having difficulty on the train but now it's better.
Wish I could figure out what caused it. I didn't put waze back on yet. I will keep an eye on it as I install individual apps.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The problem is intermittent. I did a two hour ride yesterday and it was perfect. Today it's not so good.

McRoth

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been having these issues a lot lately as well. Takes forever to get a lock and it can't keep it very well once it gets one. I use GPS status to view that. I play Ingress so this gets to be a big problem! Almost seems like an antenna issue, not too bad in the open, but even my car roof causes problems.

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Location services on my G3 were horrible. GPS would never lock on and that turned me off to LG phones. I have a Samsung S7 edge now and it is flawless..

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You just talked me out of G5 and a lot of hassle. Thanks! Other than the small screen and battery it has all the features I want - especially the ir blaster but I need good gps. I'm not sure I could have worked on my spreadsheets on the small screen either so you probably saved me a lot of trouble.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I read up on it a bit and it seems like inconsistent GPS may be a bit more common than usual on the LG G5.

I keep hearing "bad GPS" as one of the primary issues with the LG G5.

If a factory reset only temporarily solves the issue before it goes bad again, perhaps something it's up with the phone itself.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I read up on it a bit and it seems like inconsistent GPS may be a bit more common than usual on the LG G5.

I keep hearing "bad GPS" as one of the primary issues with the LG G5.

If a factory reset only temporarily solves the issue before it goes bad again, perhaps something it's up with the phone itself.

Sent my G5 in for GPS repair.
I have a notice that my unit is on its way back. They listed in the defect column column as WI FI detection problem and repair results Bluetooth/WIFI module.

I never specified a wifi problem but I guess it could be the same receiver. I thought I had a loose connection because by squeezing the sides of the phone the signal would get better. I know that it has an issue with antenna contacts.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Sent my G5 in for GPS repair.
I have a notice that my unit is on its way back. They listed in the defect column column as WI FI detection problem and repair results Bluetooth/WIFI module.

I never specified a wifi problem but I guess it could be the same receiver. I thought I had a loose connection because by squeezing the sides of the phone the signal would get better. I know that it has an issue with antenna contacts.
Potentially.

But when it comes back, do test the GPS again. If it still occurs, it may be a design flaw.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Potentially.

But when it comes back, do test the GPS again. If it still occurs, it may be a design flaw.

I'm reading similar issues on iphones where all 3 were affected by the antenna by the antenna. In my case I never had Bluetooth issues and didn't notice any wifi problems but I guess they could have been weak as well.
I guess replacing the module could do it. Some have fixed the problem by taking it apart and bending the antenna contacts. Replacing the module may have the same affect or maybe the new module is improved ad so many are having an issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez