Auto brightness parameter adjust?

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Most other phones, at least running Marshmallow, allow you to adjust the brightness threshold or parameter while set to "auto". Samsung's galaxy, Nexus 6p and so forth but on the G5 when you set to auto, it greys out the brightness slider and doesn't let you increase or decrease.

Just wondering if this is something that can't be changed, as I'd like the phone to be a little brighter under low light conditions.

Thank you. :D

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Most other phones, at least running Marshmallow, allow you to adjust the brightness threshold or parameter while set to "auto". Samsung's galaxy, Nexus 6p and so forth but on the G5 when you set to auto, it greys out the brightness slider and doesn't let you increase or decrease.

Just wondering if this is something that can't be changed, as I'd like the phone to be a little brighter under low light conditions.

Thank you. :D

Something is not right.....you can adjust the baseline when it is in auto on mine

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 10031.jpg
    10031.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 110

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My V10 can set the "baseline brightness"... I m not sure what that means though. I just leave the auto-brightness ON an its all OK by me, although sometimes I find it too bright for my needs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My V10 can set the "baseline brightness"... I m not sure what that means though. I just leave the auto-brightness ON an its all OK by me, although sometimes I find it too bright for my needs.

Baseline is the setting based on the current ambient light so it can compensate as the ambient light changes.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Thats odd, i simply dont have that option. Which carrier brand is your phone. I didn't have this option with either the two unlocked ive owned or the current Tmobile branded G5. Makes sense but just not there. My brightness slider is greyed out.

Capture_2016_06_20_09_07_51.png

Last edited:

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, my T-Mo is the same as yours, yomny.

I thought that by turning off auto-brightness, adjusting the slider, then turning it back on I was setting the baseline, but that has not been the case.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thats odd, i simply dont have that option. Which carrier brand is your phone. I didn't have this option with either the two unlocked ive owned or the current Tmobile branded G5. Makes sense but just not there. My brightness slider is greyed out.

View attachment 230468

Very strange..., I know some aren't happy with way it responds, however didn't know that certain carriers were suppressing it. I'm on Verizon.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, my T-Mo is the same as yours, yomny.

I thought that by turning off auto-brightness, adjusting the slider, then turning it back on I was setting the baseline, but that has not been the case.

That truly sucks, why in the world would they suppress this option? I think every other phone out there has this, including the G5 from other carriers lol. The phone works perfect most of the times but in lower ambient light, it tends to get too dark.

Very strange..., I know some aren't happy with way it responds, however didn't know that certain carriers were suppressing it. I'm on Verizon.

Makes me wanna be on Verizon :-[

I keep having to face the phone towards the light at times to get it to brighten up.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
That truly sucks, why in the world would they suppress this option? I think every other phone out there has this, including the G5 from other carriers lol. The phone works perfect most of the times but in lower ambient light, it tends to get too dark.

Makes me wanna be on Verizon :-[

I keep having to face the phone towards the light at times to get it to brighten up.

Have you tried Velis Auto Brightness? I have been using it for about a year now on 4 different phones and love it.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried Velis Auto Brightness? I have been using it for about a year now on 4 different phones and love it.

thanks for the suggestions i'll look into it. I used another brightness control app but gave me conflicts with other applications, said that "overlay" was not allowing them to run.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Why would they disable that feature?
This has to stop, where carriers pick and choose how our phones operate.