Treating your phone as a tool

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
ive always babied my phone and treated it like a faberge egg. I have insurance and I've never had to use it. My wife conversely has a cheap TPU case and plastic screen protector on her iPhone 5 that she just upgraded and is incredibley hard on her phones. I just don't understand not taking care of something so expensive.

I know there are people in both camps. I was hoping to hear from both sides.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Comes down to personality types I guess... I'm careful with all my devices.. The girls in the household just toss theirs around.

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
The phone is a tool. I don' t mistreat tools but I don' t fawn over them either. I use them like James Bond does which is to accomplish a task and get a job done.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I wish I didn't care so much, forget dropping I mean tiny scratches will set me off to sell it. I hate cases but I don't have a choice.

The other reason is to maintain a higher resale value.

There was a moment a few years​ ago where I didn't care where I used them naked and even tossed it around.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Comes down to personality types I guess... I'm careful with all my devices.. The girls in the household just toss theirs around.

Describes my household perfectly. Do they get irritated with you as well after you repeatedly explain why you won't let them use your things? :D

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Lol yes, they toss the phones on the bench and I cringe. Explaining that is all glass and it will break falls on deaf ears... They give their iPhone to the two year old to play with! Mine is off limits. Children don't play with my $1200 phone. Ever.
Grumpy old man...

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
My daughter, and I realize she's still young and learning, still hasn't equated treating things properly keeps them in good condition. She copies mom with plopping things on hard surfaces and nearly ripping cords from sockets. And then they get cranky when I won't let them use my cords and devices because there's this or that problem with theirs. /Facepalm

To be fair, our daughter is finally catching on that dad just might be on to something.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you, OP: I treat my phone like an outer organ, so to speak; and protect it at all costs. I buy screen protectors and cases, and wrap them up in a cloth and then put that in my purse when it's raining! I just feel the need to protect my investment.

My brother, on the contrary, tosses his phones around and doesn't seem to bother with things like screen protectors, etc. My boyfriend isn't as rough on his phones, but doesn't use screen protectors on his iPhone - but he does have some kind of device protection.

I don't often get device protection, so I think that's why I'm always so careful with them. And since my Honor 8 was bought unlocked, I know my carrier won't help me if something happens to it; so I'm trying to be extra careful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa