What do you G6 owners think about the OnePlus 5?

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Good gosh why do I have such a wondering eye. I absolutely love the priorities that OnePlus puts in it's phones for a very reasonable price. That company's phones pretty much embodies my priorities in a phone. If I didn't get 2 g6's for $360 bucks, I would definitely be kicking myself for not waiting for that phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: OnePlus 5

Good gosh why do I have such a wondering eye. I absolutely love the priorities that OnePlus puts in it's phones for a very reasonable price. That company's phones pretty much embodies my priorities in a phone. If I didn't get 2 g6's for $360 bucks, I would definitely be kicking myself for not waiting for that phone.

Except it probably doesn't work on carriers like Verizon so it's out for me....or does it?
On a side note.... It would have made more sense to mention G6 in the thread title..... I almost thought I was in the wrong forum.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Haha probably so...I just wasn't making any comparison, I just feel like i know the people active in this forum and wanted to talk to you guys about it. I'll see if I can change it...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Haha probably so...I just wasn't making any comparison, I just feel like i know the people active in this forum and wanted to talk to you guys about it. I'll see if I can change it...

No problem....if you can't it's not a big deal. You're welcome to talk to any and all.

Last edited:

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Except it probably doesn't work on carriers like Verizon so it's out for me....or does it?
On a side note.... It would have made more sense to mention G6 in the thread title..... I almost thought I was in the wrong forum.
I think you're right about lack of Verizon or Sprint.

I still have a OnePlus One, albeit with a custom ROM called Lineage OS on it because they stopped a supporting it. But for a close to 4 year old phone, it runs like a champ. I literally just upgraded to a g6 get a fingerprint sensor and use my banking apps.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think you're right about lack of Verizon or Sprint.

I still have a OnePlus One, albeit with a custom ROM called Lineage OS on it because they stopped a supporting it. But for a close to 4 year old phone, it runs like a champ. I literally just upgraded to a g6 get a fingerprint sensor and use my banking apps.

That's the shame about all these unlocked phones.... I hear good things about Axon.... I forget which model it is but it has a great DAC supposedly but again big fail for me. I don't want to cry conspiracy but Verizon and other carriers here protect their own do to speak. Even when I tried a Nexus 6P last year.... No WiFi calling on Verizon. Only now that they had a Pixel exclusive did they fix that.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I gotta be honest. I'm disappointed in the Oneplus 5. I have been looking forward to it for a while now and the specs and price didn't excite me.

I don't like crossing that $500 range. I wish they would have got the 4000mah battery in there. I would have liked a higher screen resolution. The cameras don't seem great from some of the initial reviews I've watched. No image stabilization. Wide angle lens would have been better if they're going to do dual cameras. The design is way too similar to the iPhone 7 plus. I wouldn't mind that had they minimized the bezels more. Lastly, no ip68.

I was really looking forward to this phone but I've decided to go on the hunt for the midnight black 3t at a reasonable price instead.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I gotta be honest. I'm disappointed in the Oneplus 5. I have been looking forward to it for a while now and the specs and price didn't excite me.

I don't like crossing that $500 range. I wish they would have got the 4000mah battery in there. I would have liked a higher screen resolution. The cameras don't seem great from some of the initial reviews I've watched. No image stabilization. Wide angle lens would have been better if they're going to do dual cameras. The design is way too similar to the iPhone 7 plus. I wouldn't mind that had they minimized the bezels more. Lastly, no ip68.

I was really looking forward to this phone but I've decided to go on the hunt for the midnight black 3t at a reasonable price instead.
Lots of good stuff on the used market

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

What I think they got right was the screen resolution. I think 1080p is plenty good enough and it by nature increases battery life by not having to push those pixels. Vanilla software, plenty of ram, plenty of onboard storage. Camera is not on par with this year's flagships, but better than anything in the starting out $500 range.

What I love the most about OnePlus is the very tight nit community, and the developer community will keep that thing going years beyond the end of life software cycle of the phone.

Not being ip68 is definitely my main regret, not that I can justify to the wife getting this phone anytime soon.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

What I think they got right was the screen resolution. I think 1080p is plenty good enough and it by nature increases battery life by not having to push those pixels. Vanilla software, plenty of ram, plenty of onboard storage. Camera is not on par with this year's flagships, but better than anything in the starting out $500 range.

What I love the most about OnePlus is the very tight nit community, and the developer community will keep that thing going years beyond the end of life software cycle of the phone.

Not being ip68 is definitely my main regret, not that I can justify to the wife getting this phone anytime soon.
The community is probably oneplus best selling point.

Does 1080p limit VR capabilities? If not then I can accept 1080p. If it does though, I'd rather have 1440 and VR capability.

The biggest bummer to me is that price tag. With each version, the price gets closer and closer to flagship prices that offer more features. For $100 more I can get an S8 with everything the oneplus is missing and for a few dollars less I can get a G6 that in a number of ways beats the oneplus.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Does 1080p limit VR capabilities? If not then I can accept 1080p. If it does though, I'd rather have 1440 and VR capability.

The biggest bummer to me is that price tag. With each version, the price gets closer and closer to flagship prices that offer more features. For $100 more I can get an S8 with everything the oneplus is missing and for a few dollars less I can get a G6 that in a number of ways beats the oneplus.
Good points

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I know nothing about these things, only what I learn from podcasts, but Jerry on AC seems to think that parts are becoming more expensive then everyone's prices are creeping up. And it's not quite fair to compare with the sale price of the G6. I know from a buyers perspective that matters, but just comparing the phone apples to apples, looking at their starting price seems more realistic.

All this being said, if you tell me I can get 2 g6s for the price of the OP5 8 GB ram model with tax, I'll still take the g6s.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know OnePlus, and have never had a OnePlus. With that in mind I prefer LG, having had multiple LG devices. I also like having water and more importantly, dust resistance since I work in the trucking industry. looking just at the OnePlus, it's ugly. It LITERALLY looks like an iPhone 7 Plus and it's a three year old design coming from Apple. I'll pass.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Both are solid but considering they are about the same price I think G6 is better bang for the buck, advantages I see of the oneplus are 6gb or ram, SD 835 and fingerprint scanner

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

And it's not quite fair to compare with the sale price of the G6. I know from a buyers perspective that matters, but just comparing the phone apples to apples, looking at their starting price seems more realistic.

I disagree but in the least of argumentative ways lol

Comparing 2 or more devices it's heads up what you could get them for right now. There have been some crazy good deals on the G6

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I disagree but in the least of argumentative ways lol

Comparing 2 or more devices it's heads up what you could get them for right now. There have been some crazy good deals on the G6
I totally get it from a buyers market that actual price does matter at the time. But from a tech geek comparing the two, LG didn't design the G6 to be sold at $360, or $120 on Sprint, or even $499 unlocked. Fact is most of these deals are carrier induced, so LG already made their profit off them, now the carriers are trying to move product.

I agree, if you are comparing these two phones looking to buy one, no doubt price comes into account. But me, a techie who already owns a G6 and isn't in the market for the phone, when i compare phones i want to compare them as their makers intended to sell them to see what the best initial value is. Totally hypothetical I know, and probably a waste of time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty