Thinking of coming back, hows the G6 going?

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I used to have a G6, but moved on for an S8+.. however, I find the S8+ so overloaded with just.. well SS junk really.. Camera is good, but not the amazing everyone claims it is, and speaker is tinney, but loud.. the S8+ is a great phone.. but I keep getting Notifications from all sorts of apps and SS installed stuff.. and no matter what I do, something else appears.. its getting irritating

The reason I sold my G6 was the speaker was not very loud and I couldnt hear it while ringing/ Notify sometimes, also I found UX6 was a little uninspiring and flat, also Im in UK so we get the basic 32GB / No DAC /No wireless...

I know Oreo isnt out yet, but Have LG kept the updates and security fixes coming? and are you still enjoying your G6? also, how is Headphone jack quality on EU/UK version in 2018?

Thanks

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! There are a few "How is Your G6 Holding Up" threads here - many users report that their G6's are doing very well! With minimal issues or none to speak of.

I personally can't speak about updates, as I do not own a G6; but I am sure an owner will come by soon with a knowledgeable response!

If you are missing it - go for it! :) It's a great phone, for sure!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for all the carriers, but T-Mobile has been pretty good keeping up with the security updates. I'm hopeful that Oreo will eventually reach us but if it doesn't, my phone works fine and security updates are more important to me anyway. I didn't buy the phone for what it might get in the future, I bought it for what it has now.

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I used to have a G6, but moved on for an S8+.. however, I find the S8+ so overloaded with just.. well SS junk really.. Camera is good, but not the amazing everyone claims it is, and speaker is tinney, but loud.. the S8+ is a great phone.. but I keep getting Notifications from all sorts of apps and SS installed stuff.. and no matter what I do, something else appears.. its getting irritating

The reason I sold my G6 was the speaker was not very loud and I couldnt hear it while ringing/ Notify sometimes, also I found UX6 was a little uninspiring and flat, also Im in UK so we get the basic 32GB / No DAC /No wireless...

I know Oreo isnt out yet, but Have LG kept the updates and security fixes coming? and are you still enjoying your G6? also, how is Headphone jack quality on EU/UK version in 2018?

Thanks
I've had my LG G6 since late June 2017 and it's been solid. I still enjoy using this phone on a daily basis including the very useful wide angle lens.

I'm on Sprint which overs me excellent coverage in my area in the US. My Android security patch level is January 2018.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I find myself being a bit more appreciate of the headphone jack on the G6 as I don't take my BT headphones everywhere I go. I still have a pair of earbuds on my nightstand that I don't worry about charging. Of course I could just have the dongle there, but I'd probably want 2 or 3 just to make sure I have a backup in case batteries go out.

The Google Camera APKs (Both regular and wide angle) are what bring this phone to its full potential.

While I do want a Pixel 2, the LG G6 is a very fine substitute. Wireless charging, headphone jack and dual cameras would be greatly missed.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak for the updates because I honestly don't pay attention to them. however my G6 sure is holding up well. much better than I thought it was going to. I've had it since launch. My vibration motor hasn't worked since November or sometime around then, but other than that it's been great.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
You know that sound didn't change since you had it. I had 6+ updates in last 7months, and i wouldn't sold the phone for the world.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I have had a G6 since late March 2017. I chose it over the Galaxy S8 for exactly the same reasons you are considering moving back from the S8. I replaced 2 black G6 phones through Verizon after both had call quality issues where the receiving party said my voice was cutting out. Verizon gave me a platinum version that has been trouble free. The G6 speaker is good for speakerphone use and voice for podcasts, radio, etc. It sounds far better than any speaker I had on any of my previous 3 Samsung Galaxy phones. I wouldn’t use any phone speaker for music. Security updates have arrived regularly. Battery life has shown no drop off and is still very good. No glitches, bugs or annoyances to report. I still enjoy the camera results and the wide angle lens has been very useful to me. My wife also has the platinum G6 and she reports that she has had no issues whatsoever.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have had a G6 since late March 2017. I chose it over the Galaxy S8 for exactly the same reasons you are considering moving back from the S8. I replaced 2 black G6 phones through Verizon after both had call quality issues where the receiving party said my voice was cutting out. Verizon gave me a platinum version that has been trouble free. The G6 speaker is good for speakerphone use and voice for podcasts, radio, etc. It sounds far better than any speaker I had on any of my previous 3 Samsung Galaxy phones. I wouldn’t use any phone speaker for music. Security updates have arrived regularly. Battery life has shown no drop off and is still very good. No glitches, bugs or annoyances to report. I still enjoy the camera results and the wide angle lens has been very useful to me. My wife also has the platinum G6 and she reports that she has had no issues whatsoever.

So glad you and your wife are enjoying the G6!

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
still waiting on Oreo but I knew LG was slow on updates before buying. hardware is holding up great but man is the camera slow as hell to take a picture.

I also really miss having an IR sensor more than I thought I would.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since August. Platinum T-MOBILE variant. I'm on the January security update and expecting another update soon as it's been about every 6-8 weeks for second updates. I've had some battery issues after updates a couple times that forced a factory reset which fixed the issue so now I just do it after an update.

For the most part the hardware has been solid and the performance good. This thing feels great in the hand. The camera can be a little slow at times to load, and if you zoom at all it will be grainy. In fact if you take a pic and zoom in it will look grainy.

My only other gripe is typing. When typing with both thumbs it will randomly try to swipe/gesture type and I have to correct stuff. It's irritating but I've learned to deal with it just so I can use gesture typing when j want to.

That said, it has a great size, solid screen, headphone jack, wireless charging, water and dust resistance and quick charge 3.0. if you get a good one there's a lot to love. Me, I've been wanting something else since I got it and I don't know why. I just don't love it but it really has been great and served me well.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since August. Platinum T-MOBILE variant. I'm on the January security update and expecting another update soon as it's been about every 6-8 weeks for second updates.

So strange. I'm using the Platinum T-Mobile variant also and I'm stuck on the December security patch. I keep seeing that people are getting the January patch. Anything you do special to get it?

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Thanks

Let everyone know if you end up coming back into the fold!

Like most here, I've had the G6 for about a year now and am having no issues. Usually at this point I start having battery issues, sluggish performance etc. I am super impressed with this phone. It. Just. Works.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So strange. I'm using the Platinum T-Mobile variant also and I'm stuck on the December security patch. I keep seeing that people are getting the January patch. Anything you do special to get it?
Apologies, I was mistaken. I'm on December to. Thought I had January but didn't check. So there should be an update coming soon I hope. Hopefully February's.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Let everyone know if you end up coming back into the fold!

Like most here, I've had the G6 for about a year now and am having no issues. Usually at this point I start having battery issues, sluggish performance etc. I am super impressed with this phone. It. Just. Works.
That's why I hesitate to get anything else lol

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Apologies, I was mistaken. I'm on December to. Thought I had January but didn't check. So there should be an update coming soon I hope. Hopefully February's.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for confirming. I was starting to get a serious case of FOMO. :p

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site

Sprint pushed out the January 1, 2018 Android Security patch to my LG G6 a while ago. Like you, I'm also waiting on February' s.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Sprint pushed out the January 1, 2018 Android Security patch to my LG G6 a while ago. Like you, I'm also waiting on February' s.
T-MOBILE has been doing bi-monthly for the last six months since I got this phone. If that holds up for another 18 months I'll be happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo